[QGIS-Developer] Print Layouts and Atlas not following

[QGIS-Developer] Print Layouts and Atlas not following

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi Devs,

Wanted to show 'Atlas' functionality here to somebody, but... not
working. Tried master and 3.10 on Linux and 3.6 on Windows.

What I did:
- open a WmS layer
- create a shp file with 3 polygons
- create a layouter with only a map item
- create an atlas

Output (whatever output I try: pdf or images) always end up as 3 the
same pages (the view I had in the layouter).
The Atlas does not 'follow' the 3 polygons...

Do I miss something?
Is it working with you?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Print Layouts and Atlas not following

Raymond Nijssen
Did you check the "Controlled by Atlas" checkbox in the Map item properties?

On 02-01-2020 12:56, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> Wanted to show 'Atlas' functionality here to somebody, but... not
> working. Tried master and 3.10 on Linux and 3.6 on Windows.
>
> What I did:
> - open a WmS layer
> - create a shp file with 3 polygons
> - create a layouter with only a map item
> - create an atlas
>
> Output (whatever output I try: pdf or images) always end up as 3 the
> same pages (the view I had in the layouter).
> The Atlas does not 'follow' the 3 polygons...
>
> Do I miss something?
> Is it working with you?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Print Layouts and Atlas not following

Richard Duivenvoorde
Ah, duh...

Thanks Raymond, that is pretty hidden.... see screendump.

Would be cool to get a message like "hey, you are asking me to generate
an atlas but I do not have any map controlled by Map, should I use the
(only) map I have? Not sure if it is easy to check for this property...

Feature Request :-) ?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 02/01/2020 13.07, Raymond Nijssen wrote:

> Did you check the "Controlled by Atlas" checkbox in the Map item
> properties?
>

> On 02-01-2020 12:56, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> Wanted to show 'Atlas' functionality here to somebody, but... not
>> working. Tried master and 3.10 on Linux and 3.6 on Windows.
>>
>> What I did:
>> - open a WmS layer
>> - create a shp file with 3 polygons
>> - create a layouter with only a map item
>> - create an atlas
>>
>> Output (whatever output I try: pdf or images) always end up as 3 the
>> same pages (the view I had in the layouter).
>> The Atlas does not 'follow' the 3 polygons...
>>
>> Do I miss something?
>> Is it working with you?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde

Screenshot-20200102131314-387x163.png (20K) Download Attachment

Re: Print Layouts and Atlas not following

DelazJ
Hi Richard, all,

Le jeu. 2 janv. 2020 à 13:17, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Ah, duh...

Thanks Raymond, that is pretty hidden.... see screendump.

Would be cool to get a message like "hey, you are asking me to generate
an atlas but I do not have any map controlled by Map, should I use the
(only) map I have? Not sure if it is easy to check for this property...

Feature Request :-) ?

Map control is not a requirement for atlas. This setting controls the map extent, and zooms (somehow!) to the atlas feature. But you can do atlas without necessarily change the map extent.
Eg, let's take a map item zoomed on Europe extent, with countries. Keeping that map extent, you can do an atlas that iterate over the country layer and highlight the current atlas feature using a different symbology (eg, $id = @atlas_featureid).
Or the atlas can be to filter some attribute table features... and the coverage layer is not necessarily a geometric input, it can be a simple table.

HTH,
Harrissou