[QGIS-Developer] Preferred way to set startup options on Windows and is qgis_global_settings.ini used or not

[QGIS-Developer] Preferred way to set startup options on Windows and is qgis_global_settings.ini used or not

Richard Duivenvoorde
Investigating a way to install QGIS in a large organisation, I'm looking
into the options to centrally setup some options.

As QGIS has a lot of configuration options, see:

https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/qgis_configuration.html

it is pretty easy on a linux computer to set these options (either as
alias or just from the command line).

BUT: I miss (or I cannot find it) in our docs the best way to do this on
Windows? In qgis2 there was the qgis.bat file in which you could add
stuff, but nowadays (at least in the msi installer) the startup seems to
point to a qgis-bin.exe or qgis-bin-g7.exe file?
OR should I not use the options but the environment variables? And then
put them in qgis-bin.env?
I see there is still a qgis.bat ?? Is that used in the msi install (or
for the osgeo4w install)?
Or should I edit "Target" in the Window start thingie properties?

( a pointer to the docs is also ok :-) )

About qgis_global_settings.ini, in the above mentioned docs it is written:

--globalsettingsfile option
Using this option, you can specify the path for a Global Settings file
(.ini), also known as the Default Settings. The settings in the
specified file replace the original inline default ones, but the user
profiles’ settings will be set on top of those. The default global
settings is located in
your_QGIS_PKG_path/resources/qgis_global_settings.ini.

But what is this qgis_global_settings.ini in my install folder?
Is it used? (I do not think so, as if I change the content of it and
start a new profile, I cannot find my edits)
Or is it only meant as a 'template' for admins to use WHEN then use the
--globalsettingsfile option?

If the first: how?
If the last: I will then proably add some comments into this ini file,
and maybe rephrase the docs which talks about 'inline default ones'??

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Preferred way to set startup options on Windows and is qgis_global_settings.ini used or not

Alexandre Neto
Hi Richard,

In preparation for a release of Boundless Desktop 2, which would be based on QGIS 3 (I don't know nothing about it now) we prepared some documentation for system administrators. See if any of this helps:

BTW, I am not sure if any of this was specific of the product or if it should work with any version of QGIS.

Hope it helps.

Alex

PS: Let me know if any of this is valid for our the official QGIS release. If so, I would love to put it on our docs. (I think we miss a section like this, just for system administrators)

On 19/06/2019 11.00, Alexandre Neto wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> In preparation for a release of Boundless Desktop 2, which would be
> based on QGIS 3 (I don't know nothing about it now) we prepared some
> documentation for system administrators. See if any of this helps:
>
> https://github.com/boundlessgeo/desktop-documentation/tree/master/docs/source/system_admins
>
> BTW, I am not sure if any of this was specific of the product or if it
> should work with any version of QGIS.

Hi Alexandre,

From that docs, I think only the globalsetting.rst is still relevant.
And there is already info about it in the docs.

But I agree we should have more info for sysadmins, who have to deploy
QGIS in large scale environments, and have to set certain
connections/plugins/defaults etc etc

Regards,

Richard

Re: Preferred way to set startup options on Windows and is qgis_global_settings.ini used or not

DelazJ

Le mer. 19 juin 2019 à 14:11, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 19/06/2019 11.00, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> In preparation for a release of Boundless Desktop 2, which would be
> based on QGIS 3 (I don't know nothing about it now) we prepared some
> documentation for system administrators. See if any of this helps:
>
> https://github.com/boundlessgeo/desktop-documentation/tree/master/docs/source/system_admins
>
> BTW, I am not sure if any of this was specific of the product or if it
> should work with any version of QGIS.

Hi Alexandre,

From that docs, I think only the globalsetting.rst is still relevant.
And there is already info about it in the docs.

But I agree we should have more info for sysadmins, who have to deploy
QGIS in large scale environments, and have to set certain
connections/plugins/defaults etc etc

Regards,

Richard

Re: Preferred way to set startup options on Windows and is qgis_global_settings.ini used or not

Larry_S
Hi All,

Of note from the Boundless docs repo is this little script I wrote to dump existing settings to an .ini file:
https://github.com/boundlessgeo/desktop-documentation/blob/master/docs/source/system_admins/qgis-settings-to-ini.py

Just load it into the Python Console's editor and run. It may need updated a bit to be purely Python 3, for installs that don't have Python 2 around.

I think it should be added to QGIS src code repo, maybe under 'resources,' and linked-to from QGIS docs. It is already GPLv2+ licensed.

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:17 AM DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le mer. 19 juin 2019 à 14:11, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 19/06/2019 11.00, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> In preparation for a release of Boundless Desktop 2, which would be
> based on QGIS 3 (I don't know nothing about it now) we prepared some
> documentation for system administrators. See if any of this helps:
>
> https://github.com/boundlessgeo/desktop-documentation/tree/master/docs/source/system_admins
>
> BTW, I am not sure if any of this was specific of the product or if it
> should work with any version of QGIS.

Hi Alexandre,

From that docs, I think only the globalsetting.rst is still relevant.