[QGIS-Developer] News panel?

12

[QGIS-Developer] News panel?

pcav
Hi all,
I just compiled a fresh 3.10, and I cannot find the new News panel at
startup. What is its current status?
Thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News panel?

Raymond Nijssen
Same for me in 3.10 and it seems also gone in qgis-master. In the
settings the "show qgis newsfeed" option is checked.

Maybe there is no news??

Raymond

Terglobo
Fahrenheitstraat 1
5223 BJ 's-Hertogenbosch
The Netherlands
+31 (0) 6 25 31 49 83

On 26-10-19 08:42, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just compiled a fresh 3.10, and I cannot find the new News panel at
> startup. What is its current status?
> Thanks.

Re: News panel?

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi Raymond,

You can confirm it by yourself. Just open https://feed.qgis.org/ and you
will see the entire news feed.

Best regards,

Jorge

Às 16:18 de 26/10/19, Raymond Nijssen escreveu:

> Same for me in 3.10 and it seems also gone in qgis-master. In the
> settings the "show qgis newsfeed" option is checked.
>
> Maybe there is no news??
>
> Raymond
>
> Terglobo
> Fahrenheitstraat 1
> 5223 BJ 's-Hertogenbosch
> The Netherlands
> +31 (0) 6 25 31 49 83
>
> On 26-10-19 08:42, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I just compiled a fresh 3.10, and I cannot find the new News panel at
>> startup. What is its current status?
>> Thanks.

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática

Re: News panel?

Nyall Dawson
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 03:40, Jorge Gustavo Rocha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Raymond,
>
> You can confirm it by yourself. Just open https://feed.qgis.org/ and you
> will see the entire news feed.

I think we should publish a short "welcome to QGIS 3.10" article
(ideally when the change log is ready), so that we've got something to
show on first load?

Nyall

> Best regards,
>
> Jorge
>
> Às 16:18 de 26/10/19, Raymond Nijssen escreveu:
> > Same for me in 3.10 and it seems also gone in qgis-master. In the
> > settings the "show qgis newsfeed" option is checked.
> >
> > Maybe there is no news??
> >
> > Raymond
> >
> > Terglobo
> > Fahrenheitstraat 1
> > 5223 BJ 's-Hertogenbosch
> > The Netherlands
> > +31 (0) 6 25 31 49 83
> >
> > On 26-10-19 08:42, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> I just compiled a fresh 3.10, and I cannot find the new News panel at
> >> startup. What is its current status?
> >> Thanks.

> J. Gustavo
> --
> Jorge Gustavo Rocha
> Departamento de Informática
> Universidade do Minho
> 4710-057 Braga
> Gabinete 3.29 (Piso 3)
> Tel: +351 253604480
> Fax: +351 253604471
> Móvel: +351 910333888
> skype: nabocudnosor

Re: News panel?

pcav
Hi all,

On 10/27/19 11:53 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 03:40, Jorge Gustavo Rocha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Raymond,
>>
>> You can confirm it by yourself. Just open https://feed.qgis.org/ and you
>> will see the entire news feed.
>
> I think we should publish a short "welcome to QGIS 3.10" article
> (ideally when the change log is ready), so that we've got something to
> show on first load?

fully agreed. Tim already prepared something, probably good to start
from that?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News panel?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Folks

Please restart your QGIS - Andreas and I have added something. He is making a few tweaks, any suggestions welcome….

Regards

Tim

On 28 Oct 2019, at 07:26, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

On 10/27/19 11:53 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 at 03:40, Jorge Gustavo Rocha <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Raymond,

You can confirm it by yourself. Just open https://feed.qgis.org/ and you
will see the entire news feed.

I think we should publish a short "welcome to QGIS 3.10" article
(ideally when the change log is ready), so that we've got something to
show on first load?

fully agreed. Tim already prepared something, probably good to start
from that?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News panel?

Ismail Sunni
Hi Tim,

I have restarted my QGIS 3.10 several times, but I still couldn't see the Welcome Message or the news panel. I have enabled "Show QGIS news feed on welcome page" and set the Welcome Page on the project launch.

I only see the "recent project" and "project template" panel in the beginning.

Thanks!

Best regards.

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: News panel?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hm - I seem to have the same issue. Once the "News feed" is disabled I can't seem to get it back. Regardless of the setting in the "Options" --> "General" --> "Show QGIS news feed on welcome pate" dialogue.

That part of the start screen never comes back.

There is something odd with the news feed section on the start screen.

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Ismail Sunni
Software Engineer

Re: News panel?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

I just did a fresh install of QGIS 3.10 and it works for me. I will tried toggling the feed off, closing QGIS, opening it, toggling, on, restarting. All worked fine for me (on macOS). Maybe it is a Linux specific issue?

Andreas maybe you can try manually editing settings in your profile to see if it comes back when you remove the flag there?

Regards

Tim

On 2019-10-28 11:44, Ismail Sunni wrote:

Hi Tim,

[...]

<KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg>

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News panel?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

Hm - maybe there is a difference on "how you turn the news panel off". I tried with a new empty profile and it is the same behaviour like on my default profile. Once I press the little "x" icon on the top right of the news panel, there is no way to turn it back on.

On the other hand, if you go to "Settings" --> "Options" --> "General" and use that option to toggle visibility of the News Panel, then I can really turn it on and off as expected.

So, the culprit seems to be the littel "x" Icon on the top right of the News Panel. Once, you use, that, the news panel is gone for good. No easy way to get it back.

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News panel?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Oh but that little X is for the news item itself. It means ‘I’ve read this, don’t show it to me again’ if I understand Alessandro’s design intent correctly….

Regards

Tim

On 28 Oct 2019, at 12:38, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Hm - maybe there is a difference on "how you turn the news panel off". I tried with a new empty profile and it is the same behaviour like on my default profile. Once I press the little "x" icon on the top right of the news panel, there is no way to turn it back on.

<1a688108.png>

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News panel?

Alessandro Pasotti-2

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Oh but that little X is for the news item itself. It means ‘I’ve read this, don’t show it to me again’ if I understand Alessandro’s design intent correctly….

I don't know: it's not my design :) I did the server part only.

Cheers

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: News panel?

pcav
I think it's the same ppproblem in my case.
Thanks for checking.
Cheers.

On 10/28/19 2:02 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> [...]
>>> Geospatial web development
>>> GIS Training
>>> Consulting Services
>>>
>>> *Skype*: timlinux
>>> *IRC:* timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net/>
>>>
>>> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link
>>> <https://calendly.com/timlinux> to make finding time easy.
>>

> —
>

> *Tim Sutton*
>
> *Co-founder:* Kartoza
> *Ex Project chair:* QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org>
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/> to find out about open
> source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> *Skype*: timlinux
> *IRC:* timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net>
>
> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link

Oh - perhaps the news panel is not opening if there is no news that wasn't read yet? That would be a bit strange, UI wise.

I think we would have to rethink how the client part of the news panel works. The current behavior that there is no way ever to go back to that news item once you close it through the "X" of that individual news item, is a bit strange. Apparently, I am not the only one who got "trapped" by this behavior.

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On 28 Oct 2019, at 13:09, Alessandro Pasotti <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Oh but that little X is for the news item itself. It means ‘I’ve read this, don’t show it to me again’ if I understand Alessandro’s design intent correctly….

I don't know: it's not my design :) I did the server part only.

Oops oh yes, sorry - I think Nyall did the UI?

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On 28 Oct 2019, at 13:15, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Oh - perhaps the news panel is not opening if there is no news that wasn't read yet? That would be a bit strange, UI wise.

Yes it only shows if there is news to read

I think we would have to rethink how the client part of the news panel works. The current behavior that there is no way ever to go back to that news item once you close it through the "X" of that individual news item, is a bit strange. Apparently, I am not the only one who got "trapped" by this behavior.

I think this behaviour is consistent with how other apps do it. I remember visual studio used to have (still has?) a feature like this and ones you dispatched news items, they never came back. That’s not to say we couldn’t add a toggle that lets you reset your feed history somewhere I guess..

Regards

Tim

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News panel?

Andreas Neumann-4

Ok,

Maybe, we just have to get used to this behavior, if this is, how other apps do it ... Still strange though to me.

One issue though: what happens, if we revise the content of the news entry, just like we just did? Then the user has no chance in reading that revised version.

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

On 10/28/19 2:28 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Maybe, we just have to get used to this behavior, if this is, how other
> apps do it ... Still strange though to me.
>
> One issue though: what happens, if we revise the content of the news
> entry, just like we just did? Then the user has no chance in reading
> that revised version.

I understand the logic now, but still I'm with Andreas: better to force
news back when the panel is switched on.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News panel?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi

On 10/28/19 2:28 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Maybe, we just have to get used to this behavior, if this is, how
> other apps do it ... Still strange though to me.
>
> One issue though: what happens, if we revise the content of the news
> entry, just like we just did? Then the user has no chance in reading
> that revised version.

I don't follow this completely. How is a user supposed to know that he
will need to re-enable an item because it has been revised?

If we don't get things right on first public release, I think we have to
live with the fact that some people will have never read this revised
version.

I have no objections against having the possibility to reenable read
items, but I think we overestimate the importance because we tend to
look at it from a publisher/debugging and not an average user perspective.

All the best, Matthias

Re: News panel?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

On 30 Oct 2019, at 07:21, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

On 10/28/19 2:28 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

Ok,

Maybe, we just have to get used to this behavior, if this is, how other apps do it ... Still strange though to me.

One issue though: what happens, if we revise the content of the news entry, just like we just did? Then the user has no chance in reading that revised version.

I don't follow this completely. How is a user supposed to know that he will need to re-enable an item because it has been revised?

If we don't get things right on first public release, I think we have to live with the fact that some people will have never read this revised version.

I have no objections against having the possibility to reenable read items, but I think we overestimate the importance because we tend to look at it from a publisher/debugging and not an average user perspective.

Yes I think you are right - we (==me :-) ) just need to be careful when publishing news items, or unpublish and publish a new item if we want to make corrections….

Regards

Tim

All the best, Matthias

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net