[QGIS-Developer] Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

[QGIS-Developer] Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Mathieu Pellerin
Here's a nice Sunday news: Ubuntu 20.04 (ETA end of April) will ship with gdal 3 (at the moment 3.0.3, hopefully will be 3.0.4 by release day to fix a nasty bug) and proj 6.3.

This can likely increase the number of QGIS core devs using this next gen pair of libraries, which would undeniably help take care making us rock solid there.

I for one will not wait and update now ;)

Ubuntu 20.04 will also ship with the latest sqlite version which features generated columns, nice little extra.

Re: Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Ah cool - thanks for the heads up!

Regards

Tim

On 2 Feb 2020, at 08:52, Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Here's a nice Sunday news: Ubuntu 20.04 (ETA end of April) will ship with gdal 3 (at the moment 3.0.3, hopefully will be 3.0.4 by release day to fix a nasty bug) and proj 6.3.

This can likely increase the number of QGIS core devs using this next gen pair of libraries, which would undeniably help take care making us rock solid there.

I for one will not wait and update now ;)

Ubuntu 20.04 will also ship with the latest sqlite version which features generated columns, nice little extra.

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 2/2/20 9:52 AM, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
> Here's a nice Sunday news: Ubuntu 20.04 (ETA end of April) will ship with
> gdal 3 (at the moment 3.0.3, hopefully will be 3.0.4 by release day to fix
> a nasty bug) and proj 6.3.

gdal (3.0.4+dfsg-1) is still in the proposed pocket, so it is not
included in focal yet, see:

 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdal

The update excuses show a regression in the autopkgtest for postgis
which is a blocker for migration out of the proposed pocket, it is also
too young (< 5 days), see:

 https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/focal/update_excuses.html#gdal

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Mathieu Pellerin
Bas,

Thanks for the update, and big thanks for the efforts you've put into this over the years.

I've updated my system too, no big regression, nice to live in the future :)

On 2/3/20 1:10 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> On 2/2/20 9:52 AM, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
>> Here's a nice Sunday news: Ubuntu 20.04 (ETA end of April) will ship with
>> gdal 3 (at the moment 3.0.3, hopefully will be 3.0.4 by release day to fix
>> a nasty bug) and proj 6.3.
>
> gdal (3.0.4+dfsg-1) is still in the proposed pocket, so it is not
> included in focal yet, see:
>
>  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdal
>
> The update excuses show a regression in the autopkgtest for postgis
> which is a blocker for migration out of the proposed pocket, it is also
> too young (< 5 days), see:
>
>  https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/focal/update_excuses.html#gdal

The people who actually use Ubuntu and want to have GDAL 3 in the next
LTS, you should work with the Ubuntu people to get gdal (3.0.4+dfsg-1)
out of the proposed pocket before the Feature Freeze on February 27th.
[0] Otherwise focal will likely ship with gdal (2.4.3+dfsg-1).

In Debian we had an issue with openscenegraph picking up the newer coin3
which complicated migration to testing, but that was resolved by a
Release Team member [1]. Something similiar may be a blocker in Ubuntu.
Getting in touch with their Release Team is good start. [2]

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule
[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2020/01/msg00477.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

3nids
Hi Bas,

Many thanks for the update.
Is this correct that it has now been upgraded to 3.0.4?

Cheers,
Denis

On 2020-02-18 10:45, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> Is this correct that it has now been upgraded to 3.0.4?

Yes, see: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdal

The package is now in "release (universe)" instead of "proposed
(universe)".

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Mathieu Pellerin
Nice, Ubuntu 20.04 (LTR) shipping with gdal 3.0.4 and proj 6.3.1 is really sweet.

Any plan to update QGIS to 3.10? 3.4 reaches it's end of life in the coming few days.

Math

On 2020-02-18 11:00, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
> Any plan to update QGIS to 3.10? 3.4 reaches it's end of life in the
> coming
> few days.

Yes, but this will probably be too late for focal, as recently discussed
on the Debian GIS list:

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2020/01/msg00000.html

QGIS 3.10.3 (the first 3.10 in the Long-Term Repo which the package in
Debian tracks) is (now) scheduled for release on the 21st and the Debian
import freeze for focal is on the 27th. I may not be able to get QGIS
3.10 into Debian unstable (from which Ubuntu syncs by default) before
the import freeze, e.g. if it takes more than a few days for the FTP
masters to review the package in the NEW queue. Another possibility is
that the build fails on certain architectures which will prevent the
package in Ubuntu from moving out of the proposed pocket. The 3.10.3
release was scheduled on the 27th before, as mentioned on the debian-gis
list, that would have made it pretty much impossible to get it into
focal.

Because there is no one that actively maintains the geospatial packages
in Ubuntu, QGIS and JOSM users should use the packages provided from
their upstream repos instead which are actively updated with new
releases.

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: Good news: next Ubuntu version shipping with gdal3/proj6

Mathieu Pellerin
Bas,

Will QGIS 3.4.15 be built against GDAL 2 or GDAL 3 / PROJ 6 for ubuntu focal? If it's the latter, that's likely very problematic (Nyall can confirm).

We learned the hard way there is no practical way to ship a reliable 3.4.X build against GDAL 3 / PROJ 6.

Math

On 2/22/20 4:31 PM, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
> Will QGIS 3.4.15 be built against GDAL 2 or GDAL 3 / PROJ 6 for ubuntu
> focal? If it's the latter, that's likely very problematic (Nyall can
> confirm).

Currently PROJ 6 & GDAL 3, see:

 https://launchpadlibrarian.net/462211122/buildlog_ubuntu-focal-amd64.qgis_3.4.15+dfsg-1ubuntu2_BUILDING.txt.gz

> We learned the hard way there is no practical way to ship a reliable 3.4.X
> build against GDAL 3 / PROJ 6.

That's why Ubuntu users should use to packages from qgis.org instead of
those in Ubuntu itself, as I mentioned before:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020, 17:15 Bas Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2020-02-18 11:00, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
>>> Any plan to update QGIS to 3.10? 3.4 reaches it's end of life in the
>>> coming
>>> few days.
>>
>> Yes, but this will probably be too late for focal, as recently discussed
>> on the Debian GIS list:
>>
>>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2020/01/msg00000.html
>>
>> QGIS 3.10.3 (the first 3.10 in the Long-Term Repo which the package in
>> Debian tracks) is (now) scheduled for release on the 21st and the Debian
>> import freeze for focal is on the 27th. I may not be able to get QGIS
>> 3.10 into Debian unstable (from which Ubuntu syncs by default) before
>> the import freeze, e.g. if it takes more than a few days for the FTP
>> masters to review the package in the NEW queue. Another possibility is
>> that the build fails on certain architectures which will prevent the
>> package in Ubuntu from moving out of the proposed pocket. The 3.10.3
>> release was scheduled on the 27th before, as mentioned on the debian-gis
>> list, that would have made it pretty much impossible to get it into
>> focal.
>>
>> Because there is no one that actively maintains the geospatial packages
>> in Ubuntu, QGIS and JOSM users should use the packages provided from
>> their upstream repos instead which are actively updated with new
>> releases.

qgis (3.10.3+dfsg-1~exp1) is in the NEW queue since yesterday, if it
makes it out of NEW and into unstable before the 27th it will likely be
synced into focal automatically. If not, someone who cares about qgis in
Ubuntu should work with the Ubuntu people to get it in after the Debian
Import Freeze.

Kind Regards,

Bas