[QGIS-Developer] Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

[QGIS-Developer] Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Richard Duivenvoorde
Porting some Documentation about Mesh layers, written by Rosa during the
Hackfest, I happened to note that there is no 'Add Mesh Layer' icon on
the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' (see screenie).

So now I wonder: do I create a Feature Request to add 'Add Mesh Layer'
to it (so it opens the DataSource Manager window)?

OR

are we planning to get rid of the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' because we
have the new DataSource Manager dialog now?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

gnome-shell-screenshot-4H3AYZ.png (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Richard,

I wouldn't mind removing it - but we could also do it in two steps: first disabling it by default for new users and then later remove it completely.

Andreas

Am 16.03.19 um 13:58 schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde:
Porting some Documentation about Mesh layers, written by Rosa during the
Hackfest, I happened to note that there is no 'Add Mesh Layer' icon on
the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' (see screenie).

So now I wonder: do I create a Feature Request to add 'Add Mesh Layer'
to it (so it opens the DataSource Manager window)?

OR

are we planning to get rid of the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' because we
have the new DataSource Manager dialog now?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Alessandro Pasotti-2
Hi Andreas,

IIRC the removal was discussed in the original plan, your proposal looks good.

I think the data source manager dialog icon should outshine the others but I have no idea how to do that.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 16:53 Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I wouldn't mind removing it - but we could also do it in two steps: first disabling it by default for new users and then later remove it completely.

Andreas

Am 16.03.19 um 13:58 schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde:
Porting some Documentation about Mesh layers, written by Rosa during the
Hackfest, I happened to note that there is no 'Add Mesh Layer' icon on
the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' (see screenie).

So now I wonder: do I create a Feature Request to add 'Add Mesh Layer'
to it (so it opens the DataSource Manager window)?

OR

are we planning to get rid of the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' because we
have the new DataSource Manager dialog now?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Frank Sokolic
Hi Richard,

I wouldn't like the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' to be removed just yet. I use the 'Spreadsheet layers' plugin a lot and this plugin places an icon on the Manage Layers toolbar. This is very convenient as it means the plugin can be accessed with one click. If the Manage Layers toolbar were removed then users would have to access the plugin through the menu bar (Layer > Add Layer > Add spreadsheet layer) which is slightly less convenient.

Perhaps the authors of the plugin, Camptocamp, need to be involved in this discussion?

Regards, Frank.

On 2019/03/16 14:58, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
Porting some Documentation about Mesh layers, written by Rosa during the
Hackfest, I happened to note that there is no 'Add Mesh Layer' icon on
the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' (see screenie).

So now I wonder: do I create a Feature Request to add 'Add Mesh Layer'
to it (so it opens the DataSource Manager window)?

OR

are we planning to get rid of the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' because we
have the new DataSource Manager dialog now?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Richard Duivenvoorde
Hi Frank,

A plugin developers is free to place a button on whatever toolbar he
wants. In your case the author could also place it in the 'Vector layer'
toolbar, if you really like a button to have.
About removing it or not. I'm ok with both options, though I think we
should refrain for becoming an application in which there are 4 ways to
do stuff an in that way clutter the application with buttons, panels and
bars.

I think Andreas option is fine: remove it for some time from the
'default' startup panels (for new users) and then later remove it.

Regard,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 17/03/2019 08.08, Frank Sokolic wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I wouldn't like the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' to be removed just yet. I
> use the 'Spreadsheet layers' plugin a lot and this plugin places an icon
> on the Manage Layers toolbar. This is very convenient as it means the
> plugin can be accessed with one click. If the Manage Layers toolbar were
> removed then users would have to access the plugin through the menu bar
> (Layer > Add Layer > Add spreadsheet layer) which is slightly less
> convenient.
>
> Perhaps the authors of the plugin, Camptocamp, need to be involved in
> this discussion?
>
> Regards, Frank.
>
> On 2019/03/16 14:58, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> Porting some Documentation about Mesh layers, written by Rosa during the
>> Hackfest, I happened to note that there is no 'Add Mesh Layer' icon on
>> the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' (see screenie).
>>
>> So now I wonder: do I create a Feature Request to add 'Add Mesh Layer'
>> to it (so it opens the DataSource Manager window)?
>>
>> OR
>>
>> are we planning to get rid of the 'Manage Layers Toolbar' because we
>> have the new DataSource Manager dialog now?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Mathieu Pellerin
For the record, this toolbar is already hidden by default.

Some people like the one-button unified dialog, some prefer the individual provider buttons. I don't see why we'd want / what we'd gain to remove this hidden-by-default toolbar.

On 17/03/2019 13.19, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
> For the record, this toolbar is already hidden by default.
>
> Some people like the one-button unified dialog, some prefer the
> individual provider buttons. I don't see why we'd want / what we'd gain
> to remove this hidden-by-default toolbar.

We'd gain the need to support it: as said, it is missing th 'Add Mesh
Layer' button currently. So I'd be in favour of removing instead of
investing time keeping (even hidden) toolbars up to date with new
functionality.

I'm also aware that adding it is 10 minutes of work, but I think we keep
too much 'history' in all kind of places in the project: we should not
be afraid to do some cleanup once and every while?

Richard

Re: Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

carlob
This is an old debate, GIS programs usually show a very cluttered interface. It's matter of muscles: more icons, more tools, more power.
Uncluttering the interface would help noviced and power users. I think that actions that are performed "per feature" (frequently) may benefit from getting an icon (and a keyboard shortcut) for one-click actions, but actions that are performed "per map" (relatively unfrequently) should not get an icon. I'm very fond of the superposition of Layer and Browser panel because they are mutually exclusive. You may add a layer than switch to the layer level and manage it – two clicks, but very useful and not in the front stage. How many times you add a layer to a map?
One thing that should be assured is the complete alignment of Layer -> Add Layer menu and Browser panel.
I know showing a new icon helps advertising new features, but... let's find another way, say adding a button to the splash screen...
My two boring cents (sorry!)