[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 3 Report

[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 3 Report

Ismail Sunni
Dear QGIS developers

Here is my 3rd-week report for my GSoC Project. You can read this report better with image and GIF in the weekly report wiki [4]. You can also check the project wiki page [3]. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

# GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement Week 3 Report

Period: 10 June 2019 - 16 June 2019

Report
1. What did I complete this week?
   - Implement a concrete class of 3D map tool to understand how it can get the clicked position
   - Use a temporary line layer to store the clicked position
   - Render the line but still has some problem (see blocker)
2. What am I going to achieve for next week?
   - Fixing the rendering issue
   - Implement measurement tool window (re-use the 2D version if possible)
   - Polish the functionalities
3. Is there any blocking issue?
   - Yes, the line is rendered but the color is random and rendered as 2D. The line will be gone if I hide/show another line [2].
     ![Rendering Problem](https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1421861/59567331-c22b5c00-906c-11e9-808f-0a7e93e8f54a.png)
4. Code
   - Branch in my repo [1]
5. Misc
   - N/A

References
- [1] https://github.com/ismailsunni/QGIS/tree/measurement-tool
- [2] https://github.com/ismailsunni/QGIS/issues/2#issuecomment-502470762
- [3] Project Wiki: https://github.com/ismailsunni/QGIS/wiki/GSoC-2019---QGIS-3D-Improvement

Best regards

Re: GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 3 Report

Tim Sutton-6
Thanks for the update Sunni!

Tim Sutton
Co-founder of Kartoza
Ex-QGIS project chairman

On 16 Jun 2019, at 19:38, Ismail Sunni <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nyall Dawson
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 03:38, Ismail Sunni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear QGIS developers
>
> Here is my 3rd-week report for my GSoC Project. You can read this report better with image and GIF in the weekly report wiki [4]. You can also check the project wiki page [3]. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

Great progress again Ismail!

>    - Implement measurement tool window (re-use the 2D version if possible)

Do you think you'll bump into the same widget-over-3d issue as you
encountered earlier here?

How are you planning on doing the actual 3d length calculation? AFAIK
there's no API in core for this yet (but there really should be!).

Nyall

> --
> Ismail Sunni
> ismailsunni.wordpress.com

Re: GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 3 Report

Ismail Sunni
Thanks, Nyall, Tim, and Luca

Do you think you'll bump into the same widget-over-3d issue as you
encountered earlier here?

Yes, but I think the measurement dialog does not need to be always on top (not like the navigation widget).  The difference :

- Both the navigation widget and the 3D map view must be seen when using the navigation widget
- Measurement dialog can be below the 3D map view while using it, and the user can see it after that.

So, it the limitation of QWidget on 3DWindows won't be a problem in this case.

How are you planning on doing the actual 3d length calculation? AFAIK
there's no API in core for this yet (but there really should be!).

Yeah, I stumble on that one. There is no measure between QgsPoint (but QGIS has for QgsPointXY). I think I found another missing stuff related to QgsPoint, but I forget.

I agree that we need to have this feature (it's natural to have one). I tried to implement it actually. But, after the discussion with Martin, we will do a simpler approach first by calculating the euclidean distance in the map unit. From here, we will convert to another unit.

Thanks for the feedback Nyall

Best regards.