[QGIS-Developer] FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

[QGIS-Developer] FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation proposals.

I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially help to fill in gaps?

I could submit something around "tips&tricks with layouts/atlas/reports" (including usage of variables and expressions).

How about

  • QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
  • Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG (it was presented in Dresden at FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by myself; but I think not yet at a FOSS4G conf)
  • QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)

How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?

Thanks for your replies and greetings,

Andreas

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Marco Bernasocchi

Hi Andreas,

we submitted one QField Workshop and 6 talks:
- Field data collection strategies - using QField and QGIS
- QGIS is dead, long live QGIS! - the very best new features of QGIS 3.x
- GIS Migration Paths - Tools and strategies to move to open source GIS
- Custom workflows in QGIS thanks to Python - a non technical introduction
- PyQGIS the comfortable way - tricks to efficiently work with Python and QGIS
- and I'm finishing one more about what/why open source should be in your toolbox

Ciao

Marco

On 15.04.19 12:17, Andreas Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation proposals.

I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially help to fill in gaps?

I could submit something around "tips&tricks with layouts/atlas/reports" (including usage of variables and expressions).

How about

  • QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
  • Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG (it was presented in Dresden at FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by myself; but I think not yet at a FOSS4G conf)
  • QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)

How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?

Thanks for your replies and greetings,

Andreas

Marco Bernasocchi
QGIS.org Co-chair
[hidden email]

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Vincent Picavet (ml)
Hello Andreas,

On 15/04/2019 12:17, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation proposals.
>
> I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially help to
> fill in gaps?
>
> I could submit something around "tips&tricks with layouts/atlas/reports"
> (including usage of variables and expressions).
>
> How about
>
>   * QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
>   * Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG (it was presented in Dresden at
>     FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by myself; but I think not yet at a
>     FOSS4G conf)
>   * QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)
>
> How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?

We have submitted these talks ( or nearly ;-) related to QGIS :
- Running QGIS Server in production
- OS Tools for geology based on QGIS and PostGIS
- (no title yet) : a talk about QGIS adoption, market maturity and
evolution of the project

And the following workshops :
- 3D in PostGIS and QGIS
- QGIS Server and QWC2

I have read that the LOC wants talks "State of XXX" for all OSGeo
projects. Has someone already submitted a "State of QGIS" talk ?

Best regards,
Vincent

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Saber Razmjooei
Hi Andreas,

We have sumbitted 2 talks:
- Mesh layer: beyond raster and vector
- Input: a QGIS based mobile app

Mesh layer or 3d workshops sound a great idea. If you are submitting a workshop, we are happy to help with the preparation and presenting with you.

Kind regards,
Saber

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 11:21, Marco Bernasocchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

lorenzetti@gis3w.it

Hi Andreas,

we submit a talk:

- G3W-SUITE a new framework for the QGIS projects WEB publication.

Ciao

Il 15/04/19 12:17, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

Hi,

Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation proposals.

I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially help to fill in gaps?

I could submit something around "tips&tricks with layouts/atlas/reports" (including usage of variables and expressions).

How about

  • QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
  • Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG (it was presented in Dresden at FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by myself; but I think not yet at a FOSS4G conf)
  • QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)

How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?

Thanks for your replies and greetings,

Andreas

Walter Lorenzetti phD
email: [hidden email]
skype: aiki74
twitter:w_lorenzetti
g+:aiki74
Tel/Cell: (+39) 347-6597931
Viale Verdi 24 - 51016 Montecatini Terme (PT)
Nuovi corsi QGIS e GFOSS

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

I have submitted a talk too:

"Using a QGIS for small scale agriculture mapping

Regards

Tim

On 15 Apr 2019, at 12:39, Walter Lorenzetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Marco Bernasocchi

Hi Vincent,

On 15.04.19 12:22, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:
I have read that the LOC wants talks "State of XXX" for all OSGeo
projects. Has someone already submitted a "State of QGIS" talk ?

Do you recall if "state of" is meant as Feature-wise or how is the project doing ?

if the former then I submitted "QGIS is dead, long live QGIS! - the very best new features of QGIS 3.x"

ciao

Marco

--
Marco Bernasocchi
QGIS.org Co-chair

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Andreas Neumann-4

Thanks Vincent.

What would be the content of a "State of QGIS" talk? It would obviously not be possible to present all improvements in QGIS from the past year. Would this be more like a "behind the scenes" talk where mainly issues around community, organization, infrastructure, challenges we face, etc. would be discussed?

Good to see that you will cover server/web client.

I had a quick exchange with Lutra regarding a 3D and mesh workshop. Obviously this would overlap with your 3D with Postgis and QGIS workshop. Would it still make sense to submit two proposals?

Greetings,
Andreas

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Alessandro Pasotti-2

Hi

I submitted a workshop proposal about QGIS Server and Python.

Basically the same I did in La Coruña.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:17 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation proposals.

I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially help to fill in gaps?

I could submit something around "tips&tricks with layouts/atlas/reports" (including usage of variables and expressions).

How about

  • QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
  • Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG (it was presented in Dresden at FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by myself; but I think not yet at a FOSS4G conf)
  • QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)

How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?

Thanks for your replies and greetings,

Andreas

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

dmarteau
Hi Andreas,

We have submitted (at least) 2 Talks:

- WPS with Qgis Processing - From desktop to server.
- QGIS: No more plugins only processings.

David

On 15/04/2019 13:55, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> @Vincent Picavet <mailto:[hidden email]> could you let us
> know if your workshop is about QGIS 3d, so we can submit another
> proposal for mesh layer?

No mesh layer in our proposed workshop. We only deal with 3D objects
supported by PostGIS. QGIS is used to visualize results of PostGIS
queries with 3D operators, and we will probably show a tour of QGIS 3D
capabilities to start with.

Regards,
Vincent

> Thanks
> Saber
>

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 12:50, Alessandro Pasotti <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Hi
>
>     I submitted a workshop proposal about QGIS Server and Python.
>
>     Basically the same I did in La Coruña.
>

>     On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:17 PM Andreas Neumann
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation
>         proposals.
>
>         I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially
>         help to fill in gaps?
>
>         I could submit something around "tips&tricks with
>         layouts/atlas/reports" (including usage of variables and
>         expressions).
>
>         How about
>
>           * QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
>           * Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> (it was
>             presented in Dresden at FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by
>             myself; but I think not yet at a FOSS4G conf)
>           * QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)
>
>         How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?
>
>         Thanks for your replies and greetings,
>
>         Andreas

>     --
>     Alessandro Pasotti
>     w3:   www.itopen.it <http://www.itopen.it>

> Saber Razmjooei
> www.lutraconsulting.co.uk <http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk>
> +44 (0)7568 129733

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

René-Luc Dhont
Hi Andreas,

We also submitted 2 talks around QGIS and QGIS-Server:
- Lizmap to create Web Map Applications
- Offline viewing and editing Geographic Information for Forest Fire Defense

René-Luc

On 15/04/2019 13:48, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Thanks Vincent.
>
> What would be the content of a "State of QGIS" talk? It would obviously
> not be possible to present all improvements in QGIS from the past year.
> Would this be more like a "behind the scenes" talk where mainly issues
> around community, organization, infrastructure, challenges we face, etc.
> would be discussed?

No idea, I just read this comment from the CfP :

"""
FOSS4G is the international geospatial community’s event, thus the main
selection of talks will be done through the open community voting
process. The highest-scored ones will automatically be included in the
program, while the others will be reviewed by the FOSS4G 2019 Bucharest
volunteer Program Committee. Its members will make sure that the
conference program will be well-balanced, diverse and they will make
sure that every OSGeo project will have a “State of ” kind of presentation.
"""

As for features, Marco's presentation will be relevant. It may be
interesting to have something more project-oriented to have a general
overview, with QGIS.ORG status, project dynamics, etc.

We can also ask the program committee to know exactly what they would
want to hear.

Regards,
Vincent

> Good to see that you will cover server/web client.
>
> I had a quick exchange with Lutra regarding a 3D and mesh workshop.
> Obviously this would overlap with your 3D with Postgis and QGIS
> workshop. Would it still make sense to submit two proposals?
>
> Greetings,
> Andreas
>
> On 2019-04-15 12:22, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:
>
>> Hello Andreas,
>>
>> On 15/04/2019 12:17, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>>> Today is the last day submitting workshop and presentation proposals.
>>>
>>> I wonder who/what was already submitted, so I could potentially help to
>>> fill in gaps?
>>>
>>> I could submit something around "tips&tricks with layouts/atlas/reports"
>>> (including usage of variables and expressions).
>>>
>>> How about
>>>
>>>   * QGIS server improvements (OGC validation, etc.)
>>>   * Behind the scenes of QGIS.ORG (it was presented in Dresden at
>>>     FOSSGIS by Anita and in A Coruna by myself; but I think not yet at a
>>>     FOSS4G conf)
>>>   * QGIS 3D (Lutra-guys - are you participating?)
>>>
>>> How about doing a workshop around 3D and mesh rendering?
>>
>> We have submitted these talks ( or nearly ;-) related to QGIS :
>> - Running QGIS Server in production
>> - OS Tools for geology based on QGIS and PostGIS
>> - (no title yet) : a talk about QGIS adoption, market maturity and
>> evolution of the project
>>
>> And the following workshops :
>> - 3D in PostGIS and QGIS
>> - QGIS Server and QWC2
>>
>> I have read that the LOC wants talks "State of XXX" for all OSGeo
>> projects. Has someone already submitted a "State of QGIS" talk ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Vincent

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Andreas Neumann-4

Thanks all for sharing your submissions.

In that case I'll submit two things:

1. A workshop proposal for tips and tricks in layouts, Atlas and reports (incl. usage of variables and expressions)

2. A "State of QGIS talk" - assuming that this is not about a feature frenzy talk, but rather discussing the internals (behind the scenes), challenges and progress we have in the project.

Greetings,

Andreas

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Ionut Ungurianu
Hi,

I also submitted a workshop proposal: A comprehensive introduction to awesome QGIS, covering data exploration, some basic vector and raster analysis, a short intro to graphical modeler and some data visualization tips.

Regards,
Ionuț UNGURIANU

Timișoara, România

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks all for sharing your submissions.

In that case I'll submit two things:

1. A workshop proposal for tips and tricks in layouts, Atlas and reports (incl. usage of variables and expressions)

2. A "State of QGIS talk" - assuming that this is not about a feature frenzy talk, but rather discussing the internals (behind the scenes), challenges and progress we have in the project.

Greetings,

Andreas

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hello

I quickly cross checked with the LOC.

First (inofficial) response is Marco's talk should have it covered already. The idea is to have an overview on what happened with the project, what are future plans etc.

But I'm sure that an additional presentation about the organisational side of things which has moved quite a bit too in the last years will be interesting as well. I'd propose to choose a name that highlights this though so as not to have people expect a feature frenzy in there ;)

Matthias

On 2019-04-15 12:22, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:

Hello Andreas,

[...]

Matthias Kuhn
[hidden email]

Re: FOSS4G CFP proposals around QGIS

Régis Haubourg
I just submitted this:

**Open source contributors do more than they should. QGIS as a reference project on how to find sustainable ways to rock!**

QGIS - like Geoserver, Mapserver and all the great OSGEO project - do not have to prove any longer that they can do the job.
We now have millions of users, with great expectations, growing budgets and growing communities. Still we lack funding for boring tasks : packaging, bugfixing, documentation, QA and marketing need some love.

**What about changing minds and stop saying open source does not cost anything ?**
Could that solve this situation where countries having most users also have the less contributors ?
This talk will take profit of real life examples of big corporations that decided to pivot their approach from "using open source" to "embrace Opensource".

Let's get out of our technical comfort zone and expose ourselves to enlarge our contributor's base.

This is a deeply optimistic talk looking right into the eyes of what we need to improve, as an opensource ecosystem !

if this is accepted, I will reuse some facts of Andreas talks about users stat's, project budget and we could articulate this with a "state of QGIS " talk.
Best regards
Régis