[QGIS-Developer] Crashes on exit

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi QGIS core devs,

Currently on the Github issues I have the (subjective) feeling that every third report is about QGIS crashing on closing the program. It seems to be a really wide-spread issue that a majority of our users have. It would be great for QGIS' reputation if we could fix this/these issue(s). Or has this already been fixed and people don't use the newest versions?

Thanks,

Andreas

Re: Crashes on exit

Nyall Dawson
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 16:05, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi QGIS core devs,
>
> Currently on the Github issues I have the (subjective) feeling that every third report is about QGIS crashing on closing the program. It seems to be a really wide-spread issue that a majority of our users have. It would be great for QGIS' reputation if we could fix this/these issue(s). Or has this already been fixed and people don't use the newest versions?

These are VERY frustrating. It's actually a bunch of different
underlying issues causing this. We've probably squashed a dozen or so,
but they keep resurfacing (or being re-introduced), and none of the
existing bug reports have clues on remaining causes.

Fortunately they are harmless. Mathieu has previously suggested we
just shut down the crash reporter on QGIS exit to avoid this -- I
think that would be a worthwhile change.

Nyall

Re: Crashes on exit

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi Nyall,

Thanks for the reply. I also experienced quite a lot of these crashes. Something that often shows up in the stack trace is

proj_lpz_dist :
proj_lpz_dist :
QgsCoordinateTransform::transformPolygon :
QgsCoordinateTransform::transformPolygon :
QgsCoordinateTransform::QgsCoordinateTransform :
QHashData::free_helper :
QgsCoordinateTransform::addToCache :
QgsCoordinateTransform::invalidateCache :
QgsApplication::exitQgis :
QgisApp::~QgisApp :
CPLStringList::operator char * __ptr64 * __ptr64 :
main :
BaseThreadInitThunk :
RtlUserThreadStart :

Like in https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/30753

But I am sure you also came across these.

Really annoying. Perhaps disabling the crash reporter on QGIS exit on the release versions would help? Can we enable them just on the master?

Andreas

Re: Crashes on exit

Mathieu Pellerin
While discussing this further with Nathan, disabling the crash reporter might not be the right solution as it'd most likely bring the OS crash dialog anyways.

We'd need for the crash reporter to detect specific traces and silently fail when it detects a useless / harmless trace.

There's also the problem of ppl pasting wrong traces due to not having installed the debug package, we could improve the notification in this scenario to suggest installing package.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, 13:35 Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nathan Woodrow
Yeah, in this case, the stack trace is wrong because of the lack of symbols.  The symbols could be installed with QGIS at the increase of package size but maybe we can do that for a while until we catch this issue.

At the moment installing the symbols for the normal installer versions of QGIS is a bit hard for most users.

Jurgen, would we be able to include the debug symbols for the build on the normal installers for once release cycle while this is still an issue? That would be super handy to catch this and other issues that come up.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 4:44 PM Mathieu Pellerin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In the meantime, if we have fellow Andreas able to reproduce an exit crash, let's help him install the debug package and get a valid trace?

Andreas, that is, if you're game.

Math

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, 13:51 Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Nathan,

On Thu, 18. Jul 2019 at 16:51:44 +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Jurgen, would we be able to include the debug symbols for the build on the
> normal installers for once release cycle while this is still an issue? That
> would be super handy to catch this and other issues that come up.

You can already install the qgis-pdb package using the normal installer.  The
normal installer is also shipped with the standalone, so you could also use
that to install pdbs afterwards.  They cannot be included in the standalone as
we're already near to NSIS' 2GB limit (maybe once the GRASS package is ported
to python3, so we can drop all python2 - but I gues not as the pdbs are huge)

We also have a symbol server - but given the nightlies it's huge and needs to
be aged out quickly (a week I think) so the release symbols probably don't last
long.  Running nightlies for this kind of thing should help.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
GF: Juergen Fischer, Nils Kutscher HR: Amtsgericht Aurich HRB 100827
Datenschutzerklaerung: https://www.norbit.de/83/

Re: Crashes on exit

Andreas Neumann-4

Unfortunately I am of no good use currently to test this, as I just recently switched jobs and currently only have access to Linux as sysadmin. In Windows I currently don't have admin rights. And I don't own a private copy of Windows. I am working on getting admin rights on Windows as well, but it might take a few days/weeks to get that from the central IT services. First need to convince them that I am trustworthy and that it is useful for me to have the admin rights.

But I am pretty sure that others who reported that issue would be willing to help.

However, if these crashes happen on Linux I can provide proper stack traces with debug symbols enabled.

Greetings,

Andreas

Re: Crashes on exit

Nathan Woodrow
Thanks Jürgen,

Yeah I know it was a bit much to have them included.  I will see what I can do with my install and hopefully get a good stack trace.

Regards,
Nathan

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 5:07 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nathan,

On Thu, 18. Jul 2019 at 16:51:44 +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Jurgen, would we be able to include the debug symbols for the build on the
> normal installers for once release cycle while this is still an issue? That
> would be super handy to catch this and other issues that come up.

You can already install the qgis-pdb package using the normal installer.  The
normal installer is also shipped with the standalone, so you could also use
that to install pdbs afterwards.  They cannot be included in the standalone as
we're already near to NSIS' 2GB limit (maybe once the GRASS package is ported
to python3, so we can drop all python2 - but I gues not as the pdbs are huge)

We also have a symbol server - but given the nightlies it's huge and needs to
be aged out quickly (a week I think) so the release symbols probably don't last
long.  Running nightlies for this kind of thing should help.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden              https://www.norbit.de

Re: Crashes on exit

C Hamilton
QGIS 3.8 crashes most times for me on exiting and I have also found it to be fairly unstable. I have had it corrupt one of the saved files so that when it tried to load it, it would just hang. The georeferencing almost always crashes or delivers strange results. I have not reported on it because I have not been able to come up with repeatable steps to cause it to crash, but the net result is I now am only using QGIS 3.4.9 for real work and 3.8 to play around. I am hoping that the next release will fix some of the reliability problems.

Calvin

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 16:52, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, in this case, the stack trace is wrong because of the lack of symbols.  The symbols could be installed with QGIS at the increase of package size but maybe we can do that for a while until we catch this issue.

I don't think the trace *is* wrong here. The recurring source of these
issues is that long-lived objects which have QgsCoordinateTransform
members are being cleaned up AFTER QgsApplication::exitQgis, where the
proj library handling is gracefully cleaned up. After
QgsApplication::exitQgis NOTHING should be accessing coordinate
transforms.

Actually I just had an idea for a potential workaround... let me see
if this works...

Nyall

Re: Crashes on exit

Nathan Woodrow
Hmm pretty sure if is wrong. Without debug symbols it doesn't know what code is running and just has a good guess. A stack trace with symbols will show a completely different stack

On Fri., 19 Jul. 2019, 9:26 am Nyall Dawson, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 16:52, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, in this case, the stack trace is wrong because of the lack of symbols.  The symbols could be installed with QGIS at the increase of package size but maybe we can do that for a while until we catch this issue.

I don't think the trace *is* wrong here. The recurring source of these
issues is that long-lived objects which have QgsCoordinateTransform
members are being cleaned up AFTER QgsApplication::exitQgis, where the
proj library handling is gracefully cleaned up. After
QgsApplication::exitQgis NOTHING should be accessing coordinate
transforms.

Actually I just had an idea for a potential workaround... let me see
if this works...

Nyall

Re: Crashes on exit

Sandro Santilli-4
On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 09:26:08AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 16:52, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, in this case, the stack trace is wrong because of the lack of symbols.  The symbols could be installed with QGIS at the increase of package size but maybe we can do that for a while until we catch this issue.
>
> I don't think the trace *is* wrong here. The recurring source of these
> issues is that long-lived objects which have QgsCoordinateTransform
> members are being cleaned up AFTER QgsApplication::exitQgis, where the
> proj library handling is gracefully cleaned up. After
> QgsApplication::exitQgis NOTHING should be accessing coordinate
> transforms.

This is a tipical problem with threaded applications.
Some thread is not correctly shut down before app shutdown.

--strk;

Re: Crashes on exit

Nyall Dawson
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 09:26, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 16:52, Nathan Woodrow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, in this case, the stack trace is wrong because of the lack of symbols.  The symbols could be installed with QGIS at the increase of package size but maybe we can do that for a while until we catch this issue.
>
> I don't think the trace *is* wrong here. The recurring source of these
> issues is that long-lived objects which have QgsCoordinateTransform
> members are being cleaned up AFTER QgsApplication::exitQgis, where the
> proj library handling is gracefully cleaned up. After
> QgsApplication::exitQgis NOTHING should be accessing coordinate
> transforms.
>
> Actually I just had an idea for a potential workaround... let me see
> if this works...

ok... a possible fix was implemented for 3.8.1 and 3.4.10. Fingers crossed!

Nyall

> Nyall

Re: Crashes on exit

Mathieu Pellerin
Calvin,

A fair amount of crashers and stability issues have been resolved in 3.8.1, which'll be out in a few days. Give that a try.

If you still find it unstable, actionable information describing crashes and issues are needed (since you're a plugin dev, I'm sure that's familiar to you ;) ). If a project file hangs QGIS, fill and issue with the project. Same goes for the georefencer or other bugs you stumble on.

Best

On Thu, 18. Jul 2019 at 20:18:15 +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Yeah I know it was a bit much to have them included.  I will see what I can
> do with my install and hopefully get a good stack trace.

Oh well, several issues with the pdbs.

The setup.hints were missing from the release pdb packages in OSGeo4W - thanks
Hugo for noticing - so although they were there, they didn't appear in the
package listing (just the pdbs for nightlies).

After the migration to a new infrastructure some time ago the symstore redirect
that was originally in place to cover for the space issues that the original
infrastructure had, was not reinstated.  So the symbols weren't available from
there anymore either.

Expiry of that symstore was a problem too as the release pdbs got cleaned away
along with old nightly pdbs.  The latter needed cleaning as they would
otherwise quickly use vast amounts of disk space - but I found no way to
exclude the former from that.  So the symstore wouldn't not have been too
useful for the release builds anyway.

I've now introduced several symstores: one for each package (qgis-ltr,
qgis-ltr-dev, qgis, qgis-rel-dev, qgis-dev) and architecture.  And those are
built from the actual pdb packages on the download server after upload using
the python package symstore.  I think that package didn't exist, when we
started with the pdbs and the only way to built the symstore was using the
windows binary - so the symstore had to be maintained on the build machine and
rsynced to the server.  So that's greatly simplified now.

I've implemented 5ed9efb3b60 to make use of this in master - the release
branches will follow.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
GF: Juergen Fischer, Nils Kutscher HR: Amtsgericht Aurich HRB 100827
Datenschutzerklaerung: https://www.norbit.de/83/

Re: Crashes on exit

pcav
Hi all,

On 20/07/19 10:13, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> I've implemented 5ed9efb3b60 to make use of this in master - the release
> branches will follow.

do we have simple instructions on how to get and send a valid log?
I don't think this is widely known, even to interested users.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Crashes on exit

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi,

On Mon, 22. Jul 2019 at 09:34:36 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> On 20/07/19 10:13, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> > I've implemented 5ed9efb3b60 to make use of this in master - the release
> > branches will follow.

> do we have simple instructions on how to get and send a valid log?
> I don't think this is widely known, even to interested users.

Then they've never seen the crash dialog - which would be good.  Otherwise it
has the instructions:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/crashhandler/qgscrashdialog.cpp#L35

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
GF: Juergen Fischer, Nils Kutscher HR: Amtsgericht Aurich HRB 100827
Datenschutzerklaerung: https://www.norbit.de/83/

Re: Crashes on exit

pcav
Hi Juergen,

On 22/07/19 10:51, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> Then they've never seen the crash dialog - which would be good.  Otherwise it
> has the instructions:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/crashhandler/qgscrashdialog.cpp#L35

probably clear enough, thanks
cheers
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Crashes on exit

Patrick Dunford-2
The crash reporter didn't work on my computer because of a missing URL
or something.

But as far as crashes go, I had heaps of them one day in particular and
then they stopped. On 3.4.9