[QGIS-Developer] Add SuperMap iServer

Bayu Kurniawan R
Dear QGIS Community,

Has anybody used a Supermap GIS server yet (https://www.supermap.com/en-us/)
How to add SuperMap iServer rest service.

It's like ArcGIS REST service, but running on Supermap iServer.

--
Salam,
Bayu Kurniawan R

Re: Add SuperMap iServer

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 2/24/21 9:57 AM, Bayu Kurniawan R wrote:
> Dear QGIS Community,
>

> Has anybody used a Supermap GIS server yet (https://www.supermap.com/en-us/ <https://www.supermap.com/en-us/>)
> How to add SuperMap iServer rest service.
>
> It's like ArcGIS REST service, but running on Supermap iServer.

IF it is behaving as a ArcGIS REST service can you then not just use the ArcGIS REST provider/layers, menu:
Layer/ Add ArcGIS REST Server layer

Do you have some public url to test?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Add SuperMap iServer

Nyall Dawson
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 20:41, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/24/21 9:57 AM, Bayu Kurniawan R wrote:
> > Dear QGIS Community,
> >

> > Has anybody used a Supermap GIS server yet (https://www.supermap.com/en-us/ <https://www.supermap.com/en-us/>)
> > How to add SuperMap iServer rest service.
> >
> > It's like ArcGIS REST service, but running on Supermap iServer.
>
> IF it is behaving as a ArcGIS REST service can you then not just use the ArcGIS REST provider/layers, menu:
> Layer/ Add ArcGIS REST Server layer

It's not -- it's only "like" an ArcGIS rest server in that it returns json :P

This isn't a trivial change, and would require some time to develop. I
can confidently state it won't be implemented by any of the current
QGIS core developers without financial sponsorship. Bayu -- if you
have a strong need to access these servers through QGIS, your best
approach is to either fund this work or develop it yourself. If you go
with the "develop it yourself" approach, you'll find that the QGIS
developers are very helpful and willing to assist, so long as you show
some initiative in learning QGIS development practices, the QGIS API,
and show a commitment to maintain your code!

Kind regards,
Nyall

> Do you have some public url to test?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Add SuperMap iServer

Bayu Kurniawan R
OK Nyall, I'm not urgent to use SuperMap iServer with QGIS.
I Hope that Supermap develops on QGIS later.

For example iServer map service you can see in : https://iclient.supermap.io/en/examples/mapboxgl/examples.html#iServer-map

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:37 AM Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 20:41, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/24/21 9:57 AM, Bayu Kurniawan R wrote:
> > Dear QGIS Community,
> >

> > Has anybody used a Supermap GIS server yet (https://www.supermap.com/en-us/ <https://www.supermap.com/en-us/>)
> > How to add SuperMap iServer rest service.
> >
> > It's like ArcGIS REST service, but running on Supermap iServer.
>
> IF it is behaving as a ArcGIS REST service can you then not just use the ArcGIS REST provider/layers, menu:
> Layer/ Add ArcGIS REST Server layer

It's not -- it's only "like" an ArcGIS rest server in that it returns json :P

This isn't a trivial change, and would require some time to develop. I
can confidently state it won't be implemented by any of the current
QGIS core developers without financial sponsorship. Bayu -- if you
have a strong need to access these servers through QGIS, your best
approach is to either fund this work or develop it yourself. If you go
with the "develop it yourself" approach, you'll find that the QGIS
developers are very helpful and willing to assist, so long as you show
some initiative in learning QGIS development practices, the QGIS API,
and show a commitment to maintain your code!

Kind regards,
Nyall

> Do you have some public url to test?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Salam,
Bayu Kurniawan R

Re: Add SuperMap iServer

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 2/25/21 5:15 AM, Bayu Kurniawan R wrote:
> OK Nyall, I'm not urgent to use SuperMap iServer with QGIS.
> I Hope that Supermap develops on QGIS later.

Uh... but Supermap is a QGIS-clone ( ;-) ) isn't it?
As in: it's not in there interest to develop this for alternative Desktop gis's?

Would it not be better to ask Supermap to serve Open/Standard api's instead of (copies of) proprietary ones?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS: looking at the Python console: https://www.supermap.com/en-us/news/?82_663.html
wondering who learned from who :-)

Re: Add SuperMap iServer

Nyall Dawson
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 18:59, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PS: looking at the Python console: https://www.supermap.com/en-us/news/?82_663.html
> wondering who learned from who :-)

Honestly, I strongly suspect that the extent of the copying goes a lot
deeper than the UI alone, and that there's likely a lot of supermap
code "heavily influenced" by QGIS/GDAL/other open source project code
;)

Nyall

Re: Add SuperMap iServer

Bayu Kurniawan R
Wow... I don't know if SuperMap is copying from QGIS.
But SuperMap it's more like ESRI ArcGIS for sure but with lower price