Quantcast

QGIS Crash on Opening Project

Lee-3
Gang,

I have been using QGIS at my workplace on our windows cloud. I have developed several project files which use various shapefiles located on our server. QGIS works fine when using it on windows to access these files.

Recently, I was able to crash our cloud while attempting to perform some operations on rather large datasets. They have since moved me off the cloud to my own computer. Naturally, I requested Ubuntu. Unfortunately, when I map our server drives to my machine and attempt to open my QGIS files, I first get the general warning about "earlier versions of QGIS" before the layers start to load and QGIS crashes completely.

To fix this, I attempted to copy the entire folder which houses the projects onto my desktop and load the projects away from the server. Unfortunately, this has caused the same crash. No errors. No warning. Just a complete closing of QGIS.

Finally, I tried running it through the terminal to see what kind of error's might be generated. This time, it did not crash completely but  gave an "std::bad_alloc" error. The terminal output for the session is as follows:

lee@lee-desktop:~$ qgis
Warning: loading of qgis translation failed [/usr/share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_US]
Warning: loading of qt translation failed [/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_US]
Python support ENABLED :-)
Loaded : Plugin Installer (package: plugin_installer)
Loaded : fTools (package: fTools)
Warning: Loading a file that was saved with an older version of qgis (saved in 1.7.0-Wroclaw, loaded in 1.7.4-Wroclaw). Problems may occur.

I see no errors, or output outside of the ordinary. Again, a direct opening from a file produces a crash, through terminal produces an error.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any suggestions for a fix or work-around?

Thank you in advance.

--
all the best,
Lee Mueller

Re: QGIS Crash on Opening Project

Lee-3
Some projects do include an openlayer layer. Others do not. It crashes with either.
--
all the best,
Lee Mueller

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Zoran Janković <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I got similar behaviour on Windows boxes (1.7.4) when using (or, rather, trying to use) OpenLayers plugin, or opening an existing project with Openlayers layer inside... So far, no solution, it is on the bug tracklist... Are you using this plugin?

BR,

Zoran

Dana petak, 13. travnja 2012., korisnik Lee je napisao:

[...]

Zoran Janković, mag. ing. geod. et geoinf.
GEO KT d.o.o.

M:      00 385 98 682 902
T:       00 385 44 629 042

Hrv. branitelja 62
44320 Kutina

Re: QGIS Crash on Opening Project

Alex Mandel-2
I've have heard recently of projects crashing on failure to find some
layers. Can you open the qgs project file (It's a text file) and verify
that the paths it's trying to search work. I can see if samba/windows
shares are involved that your ubuntu system might not be resolving them
correctly. So you might want to verify that you can file browse to the
data locations 1st.

Thanks,
Alex

On 04/13/2012 02:38 PM, Lee wrote:

> [...]
>>> error's might be generated. This time, it did not crash completely but
>>> gave an "std::bad_alloc" error. The terminal output for the session is as
>>> follows:
>>>
>>> lee@lee-desktop:~$ qgis
>>> Warning: loading of qgis translation failed
>>> [/usr/share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_US]
>>> Warning: loading of qt translation failed
>>> [/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_US]
>>> Python support ENABLED :-)
>>> Loaded : Plugin Installer (package: plugin_installer)
>>> Loaded : fTools (package: fTools)
>>> Warning: Loading a file that was saved with an older version of qgis
>>> (saved in 1.7.0-Wroclaw, loaded in 1.7.4-Wroclaw). Problems may occur.
>>>
>>> I see no errors, or output outside of the ordinary. Again, a direct
>>> opening from a file produces a crash, through terminal produces an error.
>>>
>>> Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any suggestions for a fix or

I was able to fix the issue by first removing all the openlayers. I then switched the file locations from absolute to relative. Everything seems to be working.

Thanks.

--
all the best,
Lee Mueller

<[hidden email]>wrote:

[...]

Ramon Andiñach

On 14/04/2012, at 01:47 , Lee wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I have been using QGIS at my workplace on our windows cloud. I have developed several project files which use various shapefiles located on our server. QGIS works fine when using it on windows to access these files.
>
> Recently, I was able to crash our cloud while attempting to perform some operations on rather large datasets. They have since moved me off the cloud to my own computer. Naturally, I requested Ubuntu. Unfortunately, when I map our server drives to my machine and attempt to open my QGIS files, I first get the general warning about "earlier versions of QGIS" before the layers start to load and QGIS crashes completely.
>
> To fix this, I attempted to copy the entire folder which houses the projects onto my desktop and load the projects away from the server. Unfortunately, this has caused the same crash. No errors. No warning. Just a complete closing of QGIS.
>
> Finally, I tried running it through the terminal to see what kind of error's might be generated. This time, it did not crash completely but  gave an "std::bad_alloc" error. The terminal output for the session is as follows:
>
> lee@lee-desktop:~$ qgis
> Warning: loading of qgis translation failed [/usr/share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_US]
> Warning: loading of qt translation failed [/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_US]
> Python support ENABLED :-)
> Loaded : Plugin Installer (package: plugin_installer)
> Loaded : fTools (package: fTools)
> Warning: Loading a file that was saved with an older version of qgis (saved in 1.7.0-Wroclaw, loaded in 1.7.4-Wroclaw). Problems may occur.
>
> I see no errors, or output outside of the ordinary. Again, a direct opening from a file produces a crash, through terminal produces an error.
>
> Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any suggestions for a fix or work-around?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> all the best,
> Lee Mueller
> ISA Certified Arborist
> Registered Forester #4604

Hi there,

I've also been having problems with some workspaces, after updating to 1.7.4 (or whatever the current 1.7 version is and getting GDAL 1.9 as a bonus), but on windows.

I've not looked properly yet, but it seems to be that they're jamming up at a particular spot each time, and at least so far that looks like an image.
(With out wanting to start everyone off on proprietary formats, I'm currently looking sideways at my .ecw images)

The paths have not changed, and worked before.
Interestingly also, the same workspaces do not crash Master, but often result in the bad handle dialogue box.

Something there might help...

-ramon.

Re: QGIS Crash on Opening Project

dondiego87
Lee-3 wrote
I was able to fix the issue by first removing all the openlayers. I then
switched the file locations from absolute to relative. Everything seems to
be working.
I was having the same issue in a more simple situation… All files local on my Mac (10.7.3), upgraded QGIS to 1.7.4 and then would get the "std :: bad_alloc" error after clicking through the "made on an older version" message.

The solution Lee outlined worked for me as well. Delete any OpenLayers map layers from the .qgs file (open as a text file), and change "true" to "false" in this line of code (near the bottom of the file).

<Paths>
<Absolute type="bool">true</Absolute>
</Paths>