QGIS 3 - Joins

Burghardt.Scholle
Dear list,

I have a postgres layer that is connected to other postgres lookup tables via joins. QGIS does not take these joins into account when copying a layer (to another project) or when creating style or layer files. This is really annoying if you have to rebuild the joins by hand over and over again. Am I doing something wrong? In the dialog window "Edit Vector Join" I see no further ways. I only activated the option "Cache join layer in virtual memory".

Any hint is appreciated, thanks.
I'm using QGIS LTR 3.4.12

Regards
Burghardt

***************

Stadt Wolfsburg
Geschäftsbereich IT - 15-3 GIS
Rathaus E, Zi. E 313, Porschestraße 47A, D-38440 Wolfsburg
Tel +49 5361 28-2531
Fax +49 5361 28-1765
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: QGIS 3 - Joins

Alessandro Pasotti-2

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 10:15 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear list,

I have a postgres layer that is connected to other postgres lookup tables via joins. QGIS does not take these joins into account when copying a layer (to another project) or when creating style or layer files. This is really annoying if you have to rebuild the joins by hand over and over again. Am I doing something wrong? In the dialog window "Edit Vector Join" I see no further ways. I only activated the option "Cache join layer in virtual memory".

Hi,

It's a known issue, the root cause is that the relations/joins are stored by QGIS using the layer ID (which is unique) so the relations are lost in case of layer copy or save/load from a style file, the good new is that I've got a customer that has committed some budget to fix this problem and I'll start to work on that soon.

The solution would imply storing some more information about the layers that compose a relation so that we can at try to reconstruct the relation by searching for "similar" layers in the existing project before giving up with a broken relation/join.

The same issue applies to the value-relation widget.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: QGIS 3 - Joins

Burghardt.Scholle

Hi Alessandro,

good news, thanks for your reply and to your customer.

Regards

Burghardt

Re: QGIS 3 - Joins

Burghardt.Scholle
Hi Barend,

you're right, I know this way and use it a lot as well. Unfortunately I have to edit features in this layer and that doesn't work with views.

Burghardt

Re: QGIS 3 - Joins

Karl Magnus Jönsson
Hi!
It could work editing views if you set up some triggers or rules for editing the view.

Karl-Magnus

you're right, I know this way and use it a lot as well. Unfortunately I have to edit features in this layer and that doesn't work with views.

Burghardt

Re: QGIS 3 - Joins

Burghardt.Scholle
Hi Karl-Magnus,

thank you for the hint. I'll give it a try again - next week :-).

Burghardt