QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Inna Nogeste-3

I’m working through the training manual and completed all the preceding modules and their output files.

When I get to Module 8.2.1

https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/training_manual/complete_analysis/analysis_combination.html#moderate-ty

to intersect my previous output files I get an error message when I run the Intersection tool that a feature in my Overlay layer ’has invalid geometry. Please fix the geometry or change the Processing setting to the “Ignore invalid input features” option.’

The overlay layer is a polygonized vector layer createdin a previous modeul in the training manual from a raster layer.

The invalid geometry in the polygonized layer represents 1 individual cell in the original raster layer. Changing the Processing setting to ”Skip (Ignore) Features with Invalid Geometries” doesn’t help and outputs an empty layer.

Has anyone else had problems with this module and the layer files created in previous modules?

I’ve noted that the original SRTM_41_19.TIF exercise data is in EPSG 32733 and not EPSG 32734 as per the other exercise (vector) data and this causes issues when you get to Module 8.

I’m currently documenting discrepancies that I’m finding in the training manual and am assuming that I can eventually add them to https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3AEasy

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Wanda Norman
I am getting the same error in the training module for lesson 6.2.9.  I have done the lesson twice thinking I had missed a step - but get to the same point  of extracting the buildings and get the error message.

I am using QGIS 3.1 with Windows 10 on my HP laptop.

Thanks!
Wanda Norman

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 12:23 PM Inna Nogeste <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Nicolas Cadieux-2
Hi,

Have you tried fixing the geometry?  Go to vector/Geometry tools/Check Validity.
Try both QGIS and GEOS methods. Topology Checker Plugin (that need to be installed under Plugins) also works well.

Le 8 janv. 2021 à 09:31, Wanda Norman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I haven’t used the Checck Validity tool and will do so.

I understand that some of the material is outdated and is why I thought I’d go through it now that I have upgraded to 3.16 to see what updates might be required. I’ll post my suggested updates to GiHub when I’m finished.

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Inna Nogeste-3

Hi Wanda,

Looking at my notes for what wasn’t working for me in the Training Manual exercises, I see that I needed to make the following change in Step 6.2.8 using QGIS 3.16 :

“Need to set the processing option to Skip (Ignore) invalid geometry. Seemed to be a problem with the buildings_34s layer? Changed this option for both input and compare layers and it worked.”

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Alexandre Neto
Hello Inna,

If you want, I can help you make the change yourself :-)

Or, alternatively, check the following videos to see how you can do it

QGIS Documentation made easy - Part 1

Thanks

Alexandre Neto

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 12:23 PM Inna Nogeste <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Wanda,

Looking at my notes for what wasn’t working for me in the Training Manual exercises, I see that I needed to make the following change in Step 6.2.8 using QGIS 3.16 :

“Need to set the processing option to Skip (Ignore) invalid geometry. Seemed to be a problem with the buildings_34s layer? Changed this option for both input and compare layers and it worked.”

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Inna Nogeste-3

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your YouTube links, they help alot. I have made alot of notes to date as to what should be updated in the QGIS 3.16 Training Manual and will gradually add these to Git Hub using your YouTube instructions.

I’ll let you know when I’ve started so that you can perhaps check that I have done it correctly?

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Alexandre Neto
Sure!

Add a comment on github with @SrNetoChan to mention me.

Thanks for your help! The training manual needs some love, but most resources are directed to the user manual.

Alexandre Neto

A segunda, 11/01/2021, 17:37, Inna Nogeste <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your YouTube links, they help alot. I have made alot of notes to date as to what should be updated in the QGIS 3.16 Training Manual and will gradually add these to Git Hub using your YouTube instructions.

I’ll let you know when I’ve started so that you can perhaps check that I have done it correctly?

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Inna Nogeste-3

The tutorial needs a lot of love to get it to the same level as the User Guide 😊 I have a background in documentation but currently don’t have time to devote all the time that is required to update the text, screengrabs, URLs etc. I’ve encountered more issues today such as WMS and WFS URLs/hyperlinks no longer working and more but currently don’t have the time to go through any more tutorial pages.

I’ll do what I can when I can.

Could updating the tutorial be sponsored if deemed sufficiently important to update?

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Inna Nogeste-3

Hi Wanda,

When running QGIS Tools the default output is a temporary layer with the words ”[Create temporary layer]” greyed out in the output sections which indicate that a temporary layer will be created as the output layer.

You have the option of saving your output to a permanent layer within QGIS tools, in this instance to 3 permanent layers (Valid output, Invalid output and Error output), by clicking on the … button to the far right of the output box.

The temporary layers can be exported to permanent layers by right clicking on them in the Layers panel and selecting Export > select the option you want.

The Valid output shows the valid features in your input which have no topological/geometric errors. The Invalid output and Error output layers will show you where you have geometry errors.

Using your invalid and error layers, zoom to the problematic areas and edit the errors, for example, moving vertices so that they snap to the adjoining vertices, or perhaps close polygons so that the start and end vertices snap to each other.

After you’ve fixed the errors it’s good to run the tool again in case something has been missed.

This QGIS page has an explanation of the Check validity tool and its output layers https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vectorgeometry.html?highlight=check%20validity#check-validity

This QGIS page explains Snapping so that your vertices for the respective layers snap to each other’

https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/editing_geometry_attributes.html?highlight=snapping#index-1

This is a good forum to ask questions if you need help.

Regards,

Inna Nogeste

Re: QGIS 3.16 Training Manual - Module 8.2.1 - Intersect features

Wanda Norman
Inna,

Thank you for the detailed directions.  I was able to correct the issue and move on with the lesson.  I appreciate the help everyone has provided!

Wanda

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 5:42 AM Inna Nogeste <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear that the directions helped:)

Regards,

Inna