QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Teodoro Laino
Dear QGIS community,
I'm a newbie to QGIS. I installed yesterday the 2.0.1 version downloaded from : Dakota Cartography: QGIS Downloads
I saw online on few tutorials the capability of the georeferencing plugin and I wanted to give it a try.

After installation, in the plugin section I'm not able to find the georeferencing plugin (there are few, including GDAL, etc.. but no georeferencing).
Is this missing for any reason from the OSX installation?
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Teo

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Lene Fischer
Hi
Just try RASTER>Georeferencing
Regards
Lene Fischer

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Teodoro Laino
<base href="x-msg://2700/">
Thanks Lene,

in the RASTER menu there is no trace of Georeferencing.

In the OSX  RASTER contains:

RASTER - Raster Calculator
                 - Projection
                 - Conversion
                 - Extraction
                 - Analysis
                 - Miscellaneous
                 - GDALTOOLS settings

in none of the above menus is present "georeferencing".
Is there any body using the OSX version that can use georeferencing with QGIS 2.0.1 ?

Thanks
Teo

On Sep 23, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Lene Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi
Just try RASTER>Georeferencing
Regards
Lene Fischer

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Stefano Campus
in Plugins-->manage and install plugins, check "Georeferencer GDAL"

s.

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Teodoro Laino
well.. that's precisely my problem..
In the OSX build, in the Plugins -> manage and install plugins, there is no "Georeferences GDAL"

I can see :

-) GDALTools
-) GEarthView
-) GeoCoding
-) Geotag and import photos
-) Globe
-) GPSTools
-) Groups Stats
-) Heatmap
….

That's the reason I'm thinking that something must be screwed up with the OSX build distribution. Or, again, something terribly obvious that I'm missing..

Teo

On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:33 PM, skampus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> in Plugins-->manage and install plugins, check "Georeferencer GDAL"
>
> s.

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Patrice Vetsel-2
I confirm this problem with qgis 2.0 binary from kyngchaos.

Regards

Le 23 sept. 2013 à 17:52, Teodoro Laino <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> well.. that's precisely my problem..
> In the OSX build, in the Plugins -> manage and install plugins, there is no "Georeferences GDAL"
>
> I can see :
>
> -) GDALTools
> -) GEarthView
> -) GeoCoding
> -) Geotag and import photos
> -) Globe
> -) GPSTools
> -) Groups Stats
> -) Heatmap
> ….
>

> That's the reason I'm thinking that something must be screwed up with the OSX build distribution. Or, again, something terribly obvious that I'm missing..
>
> Teo
>

> On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:33 PM, skampus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> in Plugins-->manage and install plugins, check "Georeferencer GDAL"
>>
>> s.

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Larry_S
Hello Teo,

---8<------snip----

That's the reason I'm thinking that something must be screwed up with the OSX build distribution. Or, again, something terribly obvious that I'm missing..

I just double-checked both 10.7-8 and 10.6 nightly builds and there are no issues with the 2.1 apps, with regards to the Georeferencer (that I can tell).

However, I did notice that there was still a 2.0.1 app in the 10.6 download archive folder (10.7-8 archive is fine). This happened during the switch from 1.9 to 2.0.1 to 2.1.0, and I forgot to prune it. If you have installed the 2.0.1 app, please remove it, as it is NOT a release distribution.

It is unclear what Mac OS X version you are using. If you are running 10.7-8, download the 2.0.1 release installer from kyngchaos.com. Then please make sure to remove ANY accidental 2.0.1 nightly installed, as the Kyngchaos.com installer will try to install into that application bundle instead of /Applications (this is also noted in the README).

If you are using Mac OS X 10.6, and are not needing to test the nightly builds, please wait until kyngchaos.com produces a 10.6 installer for the 2.0.1 branch. The nightlies are not 2.0.1 releases, but builds of the 2.1.0 master branch.

If the Georeferencer plugin still does not show up, then it is probably an issue with your supporting frameworks, which would need upgraded.

Please report on success or failure, either way. Thanks.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

Teo

On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:33 PM, skampus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> in Plugins-->manage and install plugins, check "Georeferencer GDAL"
>
> s.

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Teodoro Laino
Hi Larry,

thanks for your reply - I'm running OSX 10.8.4 (and installed Mt.Lion version)

I just followed your suggestions right now - I cleaned the /Application/QGIS folder (related to the night build) and installed a clean one from  kyngchaos.com.
From the same website I installed

and also the python modules. Python 2.7 is installed (together with other version that I use for other stuff).

After all that QGIS 2.0.1 is starting but Georeferencing is still not appearing (I have attached two snapshots, which I have sent you separately).
I also do not have any error message when opening QGIS - so I basically have no idea what else to try.
I would be glad to help to identify and reproduce the issue (at this stage we are at least in 2 to have this problem).

Best,
Teo

On Sep 23, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Larry Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Teo,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Teodoro Laino <[hidden email]> wrote:
well.. that's precisely my problem..
In the OSX build, in the Plugins -> manage and install plugins, there is no "Georeferences GDAL"

---8<------snip----

That's the reason I'm thinking that something must be screwed up with the OSX build distribution. Or, again, something terribly obvious that I'm missing..

I just double-checked both 10.7-8 and 10.6 nightly builds and there are no issues with the 2.1 apps, with regards to the Georeferencer (that I can tell).

However, I did notice that there was still a 2.0.1 app in the 10.6 download archive folder (10.7-8 archive is fine). This happened during the switch from 1.9 to 2.0.1 to 2.1.0, and I forgot to prune it. If you have installed the 2.0.1 app, please remove it, as it is NOT a release distribution.

It is unclear what Mac OS X version you are using. If you are running 10.7-8, download the 2.0.1 release installer from kyngchaos.com. Then please make sure to remove ANY accidental 2.0.1 nightly installed, as the Kyngchaos.com installer will try to install into that application bundle instead of /Applications (this is also noted in the README).

If you are using Mac OS X 10.6, and are not needing to test the nightly builds, please wait until kyngchaos.com produces a 10.6 installer for the 2.0.1 branch. The nightlies are not 2.0.1 releases, but builds of the 2.1.0 master branch.

If the Georeferencer plugin still does not show up, then it is probably an issue with your supporting frameworks, which would need upgraded.

Please report on success or failure, either way. Thanks.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

Teo

On Sep 23, 2013, at 5:33 PM, skampus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> in Plugins-->manage and install plugins, check "Georeferencer GDAL"
>
> s.

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Larry_S
Hi Teo,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Teodoro Laino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Larry,

thanks for your reply - I'm running OSX 10.8.4 (and installed Mt.Lion version)

I just followed your suggestions right now - I cleaned the /Application/QGIS folder (related to the night build) and installed a clean one from  kyngchaos.com.
From the same website I installed

and also the python modules. Python 2.7 is installed (together with other version that I use for other stuff).

After all that QGIS 2.0.1 is starting but Georeferencing is still not appearing (I have attached two snapshots, which I hope can go through the mailing list).
I also do not have any error message when opening QGIS - so I basically have no idea what else to try.
I would be glad to help to identify and reproduce the issue (at this stage we are at least in 2 to have this problem).

Thanks for your continued work on this. I'm beginning to think it may be a difference between the kyngchaos.com GDAL_Complete release on 9-2 and the one I am using for nightly builds, 8-19. Unfortunately, there is no direct link to the previous version available (though I have both locally). I ran both packge installers through Pacifist, and it looks like nothing is missing in the latest, so...

I will see about testing some clean installs on a separate Mac here, today.

In the meantime, do you get any dylib error messages under the Plugins tab in the View-->Panels-->Log Messages panel? This is where you may see errors about loading C++ or Python plugins. Also, you can directly launch the QGIS binary, embedded in the app bundle (<app>/Contents/MacOS/QGIS), in Terminal and see if any errors show up in Terminal ouput.

Btw, you might consider uploading your screen shots to an online service, like Dropbox.com or Google Drive, and adding links to your mailing list posts, instead of attaching them. That way, everyone on the list does not have to download them.

Regards,

Larry

On Sep 23, 2013, at 10:10 PM, Larry Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for your continued work on this. I'm beginning to think it may be a difference between the kyngchaos.com GDAL_Complete release on 9-2 and the one I am using for nightly builds, 8-19. Unfortunately, there is no direct link to the previous version available (though I have both locally). I ran both packge installers through Pacifist, and it looks like nothing is missing in the latest, so…

Thanks to you Larry - I understand that it is one of those silly issues to solve.. but.. you had a very good idea (see below)

I will see about testing some clean installs on a separate Mac here, today.

In the meantime, do you get any dylib error messages under the Plugins tab in the View-->Panels-->Log Messages panel? This is where you may see errors about loading C++ or Python plugins. Also, you can directly launch the QGIS binary, embedded in the app bundle (<app>/Contents/MacOS/QGIS), in Terminal and see if any errors show up in Terminal output.

Ok.. You found it! In the Log Messages Panel (Plugin) I get this one:

Failed to load /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so (Reason: Cannot load library /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so: (dlopen(/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so, 5): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/GSL.framework/Versions/1/GSL
  Referenced from: /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so
  Reason: image not found))

Apparently I'm missing the GSL framework… Did I miss to install it? Where can I find that?

Btw, you might consider uploading your screen shots to an online service, like Dropbox.com or Google Drive, and adding links to your mailing list posts, instead of attaching them. That way, everyone on the list does not have to download them.

apologies for that - I was just lazy.. the original file was anyhow blocked and you were the only one to receive it.. I will follow your suggestions in the future.

Thanks,
Teo

Re: QGIS 2.0 - OSX - georeferencing plugin missing ?

Teodoro Laino
Ok Larry.

and now QGIS has the georeferencing plugin!

Thank you so much!
You can consider the issue solved.

Thanks to all contributing to this thread.

Teo

On Sep 23, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Teodoro Laino <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

William Kyngesburye
Sorry for the mixup.  I bundled GSL in the QGIS app, but messed up the linking so it still looked for an external GSL.  This will be fixed in an update soon.

On Sep 23, 2013, at 3:23 PM, Teodoro Laino wrote:

> Ok Larry.
>
> I downloaded GSL from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks : GSL framework v1.16-1
> and now QGIS has the georeferencing plugin!
>
> Thank you so much!
> You can consider the issue solved.
>
> Thanks to all contributing to this thread.
>
> Teo
>
> On Sep 23, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Teodoro Laino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 23, 2013, at 10:10 PM, Larry Shaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your continued work on this. I'm beginning to think it may be a difference between the kyngchaos.com GDAL_Complete release on 9-2 and the one I am using for nightly builds, 8-19. Unfortunately, there is no direct link to the previous version available (though I have both locally). I ran both packge installers through Pacifist, and it looks like nothing is missing in the latest, so…
>>
>> Thanks to you Larry - I understand that it is one of those silly issues to solve.. but.. you had a very good idea (see below)
>>

>>> I will see about testing some clean installs on a separate Mac here, today.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, do you get any dylib error messages under the Plugins tab in the View-->Panels-->Log Messages panel? This is where you may see errors about loading C++ or Python plugins. Also, you can directly launch the QGIS binary, embedded in the app bundle (<app>/Contents/MacOS/QGIS), in Terminal and see if any errors show up in Terminal output.
>>
>> Ok.. You found it! In the Log Messages Panel (Plugin) I get this one:
>>
>> Failed to load /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so (Reason: Cannot load library /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so: (dlopen(/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so, 5): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/GSL.framework/Versions/1/GSL
>>   Referenced from: /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/PlugIns/qgis/libgeorefplugin.so
>>   Reason: image not found))
>>
>> Apparently I'm missing the GSL framework… Did I miss to install it? Where can I find that?
>>

>>> Btw, you might consider uploading your screen shots to an online service, like Dropbox.com or Google Drive, and adding links to your mailing list posts, instead of attaching them. That way, everyone on the list does not have to download them.
>>
>> apologies for that - I was just lazy.. the original file was anyhow blocked and you were the only one to receive it.. I will follow your suggestions in the future.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Teo

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect