QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Tim Sutton-4
Dear all

Please note that we are now in Feature Freeze for QGIS 2.0. This means
that no new major functionality (typically annotated with [FEATURE] in
a commit message) should be added to master.

Exceptions to this are the GUI cleanup work and the shield label work
being carried out by Larry. If anyone else feels there should be
further exceptions made, they should be discussed here on the list
*before* pushing them to master.

Now is the time to clean up the code base, remove inconsistencies,
make all the tests pass, make the GUI neat and tidy and generally get
things ready for general consumption.

Today I will also commit changes that move the home directory from
~/.qgis to ~/.qgis2 so that we can properly support deployments where
1.8 and 2.0 are used side by side. Also settings for QGIS 2.0 will be
independently store from the QGIS 1.x settings (e.g. under unix like
OS's they will now go into ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS2.conf).

Please note that I have updated the release timetable as per below:

1 April 2013 - Feature freeze - no new features in master
15 April 2013 - API Freeze - no changes to API except where it is in
direct response to broken functionality.
30 April - GUI Freeze and String freeze - no changes to ui or strings
except where required for critical bug fixes. Call for translations.
1 June 2013 - Branch 2.0, code freeze (except for packaging related
changes), call for packaging
7 June 2013 - Public release of 2.0

The updated timetable gives a little more time to sort out user
interface issues and improve UI strings before the release.

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)

Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Please note that we are now in Feature Freeze for QGIS 2.0. This means
> that no new major functionality (typically annotated with [FEATURE] in
> a commit message) should be added to master.
>
> Exceptions to this are the GUI cleanup work and the shield label work
> being carried out by Larry. If anyone else feels there should be
> further exceptions made, they should be discussed here on the list
> *before* pushing them to master.

I should have added that there are a number of pull requests pending
evaluation [1], I would like to suggest that
we allow any pull request to be applied over the next two weeks where
the pull request id < 493 (i.e. when the pull request was already
lodged prior to the feature freeze).

[1] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pulls

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

William Kyngesburye
On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Today I will also commit changes that move the home directory from
> ~/.qgis to ~/.qgis2 so that we can properly support deployments where
> 1.8 and 2.0 are used side by side. Also settings for QGIS 2.0 will be
> independently store from the QGIS 1.x settings (e.g. under unix like
> OS's they will now go into ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS2.conf).

I wonder if the application name should also have "2" in it?  Otherwise, to get a side-by-side install of 1.8 and 2 you'd have to configure a different prefix.  Though I guess a different prefix would be best on linux to keep all the support files separate.  I could at least change the OS X app to "QGIS 2", since support files are by nature isolated for an app, then it could be placed in the standard /Applications folder alongside QGIS 1.8.  I don't know how an app is organized on Windows, if it needs a different install path or different app name.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM, William Kyngesburye
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> Today I will also commit changes that move the home directory from
>> ~/.qgis to ~/.qgis2 so that we can properly support deployments where
>> 1.8 and 2.0 are used side by side. Also settings for QGIS 2.0 will be
>> independently store from the QGIS 1.x settings (e.g. under unix like
>> OS's they will now go into ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS2.conf).
>

> I wonder if the application name should also have "2" in it?  Otherwise, to get a side-by-side install of 1.8 and 2 you'd have to configure a different prefix.  Though I guess a different prefix would be best on linux to keep all the support files separate.  I could at least change the OS X app to "QGIS 2", since support files are by nature isolated for an app, then it could be placed in the standard /Applications folder alongside QGIS 1.8.  I don't know how an app is organized on Windows, if it needs a different install path or different app name.

I guess that may make sense on e.g. ubuntu where you want to have both
installed from packages into /usr.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Jean-Roc Morreale
Hi Tim,

Is the old label/symbology still going to be part of QGIS with 2.0 or
is it going to finally be pushed over the bridge ?

Regards,
Jean-Roc

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Is the old label/symbology still going to be part of QGIS with 2.0 or is it
> going to finally be pushed over the bridge ?

My opinion:

- Old labelling == over the bridge
- Old Symbology == stay or go as others prefer. It is well enough
hidden that it wont bother anyone still being there. It would be
cleaner to strip it out of the code base though.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Alexander Bruy
Hi,

and what about icon theme? If I remember correctly we decide that
default icon theme in QGIS 2.0 will be "gis" theme by Robert.

Another important question — switching to PyQt API v2.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:48:35 +0200
Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > Is the old label/symbology still going to be part of QGIS with 2.0 or is it
> > going to finally be pushed over the bridge ?
>
> My opinion:
>
> - Old labelling == over the bridge
> - Old Symbology == stay or go as others prefer. It is well enough
> hidden that it wont bother anyone still being there. It would be
> cleaner to strip it out of the code base though.

--
Alexander Bruy

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Tim Sutton-4
Hi

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Alexander Bruy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> and what about icon theme? If I remember correctly we decide that
> default icon theme in QGIS 2.0 will be "gis" theme by Robert.

Yes I did it here:

https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/commit/6c3f418988fa9d60d36cf1a511db9b3ecf2f46b9#L2R869

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

volaya
Hey

one thing:

I am assumming that code freeze applies to plugins as well, right? It
is ok for me, since most of want to do now in SEXTANTE is testing and
bugfixing, not adding new features, but I was just wondering. Since it
is very easy to deploy new versions of a plugin through the plugin
installer, maybe there is no need to be so strict with plugins?

Sorry for the question if this has discussed or written somewhere else...

Cheers
Victor

2013/4/2 Tim Sutton <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Alexander Bruy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> and what about icon theme? If I remember correctly we decide that
>> default icon theme in QGIS 2.0 will be "gis" theme by Robert.
>>

> Yes I did it here:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/commit/6c3f418988fa9d60d36cf1a511db9b3ecf2f46b9#L2R869
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>
>> Another important question — switching to PyQt API v2.
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:48:35 +0200
>> Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> My opinion:
>>>
>>> - Old labelling == over the bridge
>>> - Old Symbology == stay or go as others prefer. It is well enough
>>> hidden that it wont bother anyone still being there. It would be
>>> cleaner to strip it out of the code base though.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander Bruy
>

> --
> Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member (Release  Manager)
>
> Visit http://linfiniti.com to find out about:
>  * QGIS programming and support services
>  * Mapserver and PostGIS based hosting plans
>  * FOSS Consulting Services
> Skype: timlinux

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

pcav

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Martin Dobias
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Is the old label/symbology still going to be part of QGIS with 2.0 or is it
>> going to finally be pushed over the bridge ?
>
> My opinion:
>
> - Old labelling == over the bridge
> - Old Symbology == stay or go as others prefer. It is well enough
> hidden that it wont bother anyone still being there. It would be
> cleaner to strip it out of the code base though.

I would like to remove old symbology before 2.0 as a part of API cleanups.

Martin

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

pcav

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Andreas Neumann-4
 Hi Paolo,

 This list is not up-to-date anymore. Most of it is now resolved now
 (e.g. all the data-driven stuff). We should go through this list at the
 hackfest to make sure that nothing is missing. The GUI inconsistencies
 can also be fixed during the HF.

 +1 for removing old symbology and labeling before QGIS 2.0

 Andreas

 On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:16:24 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
 Switzerland

On 2013-04-03 11:25, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> This list is not up-to-date anymore. Most of it is now resolved now
> (e.g. all the data-driven stuff). We should go through this list at
> the hackfest to make sure that nothing is missing. The GUI
> inconsistencies can also be fixed during the HF.
>
> +1 for removing old symbology and labeling before QGIS 2.0

Even if the list of missing features isn't emptied, the old symbology
must get killed for 2.0

Paolo, I don't know about you but I personnally don't want to spent
anymore time in the comings years explaining or solving issues due to
the use of an accidental use of a deprecated engine. The switch has been
going on for years : old symbology delenda est !

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Giuseppe Sucameli
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for removing old symbology and labeling before QGIS 2.0

+1, old and new symbology/labelling shouldn't coexist anymore, they cause lots of confusion.
IMHO keeping the old features makes slow the migration to the new ones.

Cheers.

Andreas

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:16:24 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 10A
8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
Switzerland

Giuseppe Sucameli

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Régis Haubourg
+1 to erase old symbology and labeling from UI.
But do we keep it in code so that old projects still open?

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

pcav

Re: QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

Martin Dobias
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Régis Haubourg
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 to erase old symbology and labeling from UI.
> But do we keep it in code so that old projects still open?

The code will have to go away, too. But don't worry - we can still
take care of the old projects by providing project file
transformations: so old projects will be transformed to new symbology
automatically before being read in QGIS 2.0.

Martin