QGIS 0.9.2rc1 String Freeze - Call for translators

QGIS 0.9.2rc1 String Freeze - Call for translators

Tim Sutton
Hi All (and especially translators)

As of today please note that we are entering string freeze for the run
up to the next release. If you are committing bug fixes please avoid
changing any strings. Translation .ts files have been updated in SVN
so please update your local svn checkouts. The period for translations
will close January 27 2008 (i.e. about one week from now) and then we
will be branching for release. Any translations submitted to us after
that time will only be included in the next release, so please submit
what you have by then even if it is not complete.

There was some discussion on the IRC channel today about the naming of
this release. I would like to proceed with the release as planned but
there are a great deal of new features incorporated from branches in
this release which inevitably means new bugs. So not wanting to
deviate from our release schedule, but at the same time wanting to
indicate the fact that there are a number of unresolved issues, we
will be going about the normal release process, but releasing as QGIS
0.9.2rc1 (rc signifying release candidate). It is our hope that by
building packages and making a rc release we can give early adopters
ready to use binaries to commence more detailed testing and bug
reporting. We will follow up 0.9.2rc1 with a bug triage release
focusing on stabilising new features and improving render performance.

As always you can track the release plans via the checklist at:

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/ReleaseChecklist0.9.2

(I will update this page to indicate the rc1 status soon)

If you have any questions about the translation process, please see
the following page which I have recently updated with instructions on
how to generate a .ts file for a new locale.

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/TranslatorsCorner

Many thanks to all the translators out there for the great work you do!

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: QGIS 0.9.2rc1

Magnus Homann
Tim Sutton wrote:
>So not wanting to
> deviate from our release schedule, but at the same time wanting to
> indicate the fact that there are a number of unresolved issues, we
> will be going about the normal release process, but releasing as QGIS
> 0.9.2rc1 (rc signifying release candidate). It is our hope that by
> building packages and making a rc release we can give early adopters
> ready to use binaries to commence more detailed testing and bug
> reporting. We will follow up 0.9.2rc1 with a bug triage release
> focusing on stabilising new features and improving render performance.

How does this sudden change of plans interact with revions upgrade
functionality?

<rant>

When I implemented functionality to take project files from one release
to another, I followed the releas plan that was on the Web. After 0.9.1,
there would be 0.9.2, and then work continue with 0.9.3. Now, I have no
idea how you want to note the difference in releases in the project
files, if at all. What about changes between release candidates?

Personally, I think we should stick to the original plan. What's next,
release 0.9.2.rc2a-VI-svn12345? It's just getting silly.

</rant>

(Time for morning coffe...)

Re: QGIS 0.9.2rc1

Tim Sutton
Hi

Sorry I thought we adressed this on IRC but maybe we didnt. The idea
is to follow rc1 release with a bug triage release - effectively
extending the feature freeze for another month or so. It should be
safe to call your rev up work 0.9.1-0.9.2 since there should be no
feature changes between 0.9.2rc1 and 0.9.2 final (new features should
be happening in branches, not in trunk anyway). That make sense post
coffee? :-)

Regards,

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net