QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Mars Sjoden-2
I am having problems with QGIS continually crashing when using a
Large (135MB) geo-referenced  PNG raster relief image.

I have used this raster file in many other GIS apps, including
ArcMap, ArcScene, UDIG,

I have also tried this file as a geo-TIF which boosts the file size
to 147MB, and QGIS is still unstable.

Is this due to memory usage allocation?

MacBook Pro 2GB of RAM, OSX.4.10, Kyng Chaos Frameworks, QGIS, GRASS 6.3

Running QGIS solitary with no other user applications.

ie. GRASS also crashes when using this file size.

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

William Kyngesburye
On Jul 9, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Mars Sjoden wrote:

> I am having problems with QGIS continually crashing when using a
> Large (135MB) geo-referenced  PNG raster relief image.
>
> I have used this raster file in many other GIS apps, including
> ArcMap, ArcScene, UDIG,

A check to see if there is something wrong with GDAL (I think Qgis
uses GDAL for image data?) - in a Terminal type (assuming you have
the GDAL framework in your shell PATH):

gdalinfo /path/to/image.png

You can also try gdal_translate to convert it to another format, like
tif, to see if GDAL can read the whole image file.

I don't have a tiff or png that large handy to test myself, though I
can whip something up tomorrow.

> I have also tried this file as a geo-TIF which boosts the file size
> to 147MB, and QGIS is still unstable.
>
> Is this due to memory usage allocation?
>
> MacBook Pro 2GB of RAM, OSX.4.10, Kyng Chaos Frameworks, QGIS,
> GRASS 6.3
>
> Running QGIS solitary with no other user applications.
>
> ie. GRASS also crashes when using this file size.

You mean r.in.gdal?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that
the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy
between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Mars Sjoden-2
Hello William,

Here is the gdalinfo output of the the PNG file I am using:

Driver: PNG/Portable Network Graphics
Size is 8844, 7663
Coordinate System is `'
Origin = (563960.437500000000000,6098920.500000000000000)
Pixel Size = (15.000000000000000,-15.000000000000000)
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  563960.438, 6098920.500)
Lower Left  (  563960.438, 5983975.500)
Upper Right (  696620.438, 6098920.500)
Lower Right (  696620.438, 5983975.500)
Center      (  630290.438, 6041448.000)
Band 1 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
Band 4 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Alpha

Projected Co-Ordinate system NAD83-UTM9

running gdal_translate for GTIFF creates a nice 245MB GeoTIFF file.

gdal seems to be working just fine.

Okay after doing some tests with the new 245MB geoTiff file (translated with gdal), QGIS and GRASS seem to be running fairly smoothly!

hmmm so I will find/make more geoPNG files and see what the results are in QGIS/GRASS

For now I suppose I'll work with the much larger TIFF files in QGIS for my production work.

Thanks for the support I appreciate it.

Mars

On 9-Jul-07, at 4:01 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

[...]

CraigLeat
Mars Sjoden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am having problems with QGIS continually crashing when using a
> Large (135MB) geo-referenced  PNG raster relief image.
> I have used this raster file in many other GIS apps, including
> ArcMap, ArcScene, UDIG,
> I have also tried this file as a geo-TIF which boosts the file size
> to 147MB, and QGIS is still unstable.
> Is this due to memory usage allocation?
> MacBook Pro 2GB of RAM, OSX.4.10, Kyng Chaos Frameworks, QGIS, GRASS 6.3
> Running QGIS solitary with no other user applications.
> ie. GRASS also crashes when using this file size.
Mars, do you mean that (1) Qgis crashes while loading the raster or (2)
that the raster loads successfully and Qgis crashes later while working
with the data? If option (1) then please ensure you are using the latest
release of 0.8.1. Crashes while loading rasters were reported on the bug
tracker, but if I remember correctly this affected a preview version of
0.8.1. I don't have any problems working with +/- 550Mb rasters.

Regards

Craig.

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Oleg Gusev
Am Dienstag, 10. Juli 2007 00:04 schrieb Mars Sjoden:

> I am having problems with QGIS continually crashing when using a
> Large (135MB) geo-referenced  PNG raster relief image.
>
> ie. GRASS also crashes when using this file size.

Does the program produce any error messages ?
Size can't be a problem, i have successfully used qgis with
2GB geotiff images (including previews).

 Oleg.

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Mars Sjoden-2
Oleg and Craig hello;

I can load my geo-PNG file into QGIS, however once I go to do
anything in QGIS , QGIS *pops* into thin air.  No output is recorded.

I am finding that working with a considerably larger geo-Tif (of the
same dataset/resolution) has not yet produced the same results.

I have used this PNG file in other GIS applications and it seems to
work fine...
It maybe that there is some sort of issue with the raster images
outputted by LandSerf, and gdal?

For now I will translate all my PNG's to TIFF

Yes, latest QGIS is running.

cheers,

Mars

On Jul 10, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Mars Sjoden wrote:

> Oleg and Craig hello;
>
> I can load my geo-PNG file into QGIS, however once I go to do
> anything in QGIS , QGIS *pops* into thin air.  No output is recorded.

Check Console.app - under ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.  Usually, the
system writes a crash log here, though I have seen it skip Qgis crashes.

> I am finding that working with a considerably larger geo-Tif (of the
> same dataset/resolution) has not yet produced the same results.
>
> I have used this PNG file in other GIS applications and it seems to
> work fine...
> It maybe that there is some sort of issue with the raster images
> outputted by LandSerf, and gdal?
>
> For now I will translate all my PNG's to TIFF
>
> Yes, latest QGIS is running.
>
> cheers,
>
> Mars

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Mars Sjoden-2
It has not reported in the past,

I did however manage to get a report after importing the file into GRASS separate of QGIS, then opening QGIS and loading Grass Raster layer.

The crash report is as follows:

Version: 0.8.1-Titan (exported) (0.8.1-Titan)

PID:    1167

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _G_set_gisrc_mode
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.4/PlugIns/gdal_GRASS.dylib
  Expected in: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.4/grass/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib

Curious.

So... some sort of linking issue?

On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Mars Sjoden wrote:

> It has not reported in the past,
>
> I did however manage to get a report after importing the file into
> GRASS separate of QGIS, then opening QGIS and loading Grass Raster
> layer.
>
> The crash report is as follows:

> Version: 0.8.1-Titan (exported) (0.8.1-Titan)
>
> PID:    1167
>
> Link (dyld) error:
>
> Symbol not found: _G_set_gisrc_mode
>   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.4/
> PlugIns/gdal_GRASS.dylib
>   Expected in: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.4/
> grass/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib
>
> Curious.
>
> So... some sort of linking issue?

Ah, hmm.  Which version of the GDAL framework do you have installed?
I made a small change in the internal GRASS libraries with 1.4.2 that
might be having problems.  Though G_set_gisrc_mode() is in
libgrass_gis, not libgrass_datetime... odd.

But, I don't know if this would be the same as the crash when you try
to load the PNG directly...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan

On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:53 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Ah, hmm.  Which version of the GDAL framework do you have
> installed?  I made a small change in the internal GRASS libraries
> with 1.4.2 that might be having problems.  Though G_set_gisrc_mode
> () is in libgrass_gis, not libgrass_datetime... odd.

Oh, just tried it myself - indeed it crashes on GRASS rasters.
Doesn't matter if I open the mapset first or not.  I'll look into it
to see if there is a build problem.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Mars Sjoden-2
ah, gdal 1.4.2 installed... I believe your latest port,

okay, just ran gdalinfo --version

GDAL 1.4.2.0, released 2007/06/27

I'll check with your port see what your latest is.

Mars

On 10-Jul-07, at 12:53 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

[...]

Got it!  It's purely a GDAL problem - something got buggered in the
packaging of 1.4.2.  Once I figured that out, it was easy to fix.
Grab a new GDAL framework 1.4.2-3.

On Jul 10, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Mars Sjoden wrote:

> ah, gdal 1.4.2 installed... I believe your latest port,
>
> okay, just ran gdalinfo --version
>
> GDAL 1.4.2.0, released 2007/06/27
>
> I'll check with your port see what your latest is.
>
> Mars
>
> On 10-Jul-07, at 12:53 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> On Jul 10, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Mars Sjoden wrote:
>>
>>> It has not reported in the past,
>>>
>>> I did however manage to get a report after importing the file
>>> into GRASS separate of QGIS, then opening QGIS and loading Grass
>>> Raster layer.
>>>
>>> The crash report is as follows:

>>> Version: 0.8.1-Titan (exported) (0.8.1-Titan)
>>>
>>> PID:    1167
>>>
>>> Link (dyld) error:
>>>
>>> Symbol not found: _G_set_gisrc_mode
>>>   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/
>>> 1.4/PlugIns/gdal_GRASS.dylib
>>>   Expected in: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.4/
>>> grass/lib/libgrass_datetime.dylib
>>>
>>> Curious.
>>>
>>> So... some sort of linking issue?
>>>
>> Ah, hmm.  Which version of the GDAL framework do you have
>> installed?  I made a small change in the internal GRASS libraries
>> with 1.4.2 that might be having problems.  Though G_set_gisrc_mode
>> () is in libgrass_gis, not libgrass_datetime... odd.
>>
>> But, I don't know if this would be the same as the crash when you
>> try to load the PNG directly...
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
>> fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would
>> not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures
>> of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that
>> make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief
>> that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real
>> pleasures of existence....
>>
>> - the wisdom of Tarzan

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Re: QGIS-0.8.1 crash dealing with large PNG file

Mars Sjoden-2
Ah, okay I feel a little better that it is not just me now, thanks
William!

Mars