Quantcast

Python plugins for 1.8

doktoreas
Hello everybody,
on Monday we had a QGis course and we decided to use 1.8.
All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part repository" button.
I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window with the explanation of what happened.
What do you think about?

Thx for all
Luca

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Paolo Cavallini
Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:

> All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
> repository" button.
> I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
> with the explanation of what happened.
> What do you think about?

-1
I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating the plugins
(at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which has major
advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs have not time nor
interest to do the migration in these days.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Micha Silver
On 27/06/2012 17:49, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:

All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
repository" button.
I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
with the explanation of what happened.
What do you think about?
-1
I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating the plugins
(at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which has major
advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs have not time nor
interest to do the migration in these days.
All the best.

In the interim, until all repos are migrated, how about a link to [1] in the Add plugins window to help users with the Add button?

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Python_Plugin_Repositories

--
Micha Silver
052-3665918

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

doktoreas
Paolo Cavallini wrote
Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:

> All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
> repository" button.
> I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
> with the explanation of what happened.
> What do you think about?

-1
I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating the plugins
(at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which has major
advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs have not time nor
interest to do the migration in these days.
All the best.
I know that the problem is migrating the plugins to the new infrastructure, but some users who update or install 1.8 don't know this situation.
My idea is to write something to explain this.

L.

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Lee Hachadoorian-2
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Luca Casagrande
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paolo Cavallini wrote
>>
>> Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:
>>
>>> All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
>>> repository" button.
>>> I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
>>> with the explanation of what happened.
>>> What do you think about?
>>
>> -1
>> I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating
>> the plugins
>> (at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which has major
>> advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs have not
>> time nor
>> interest to do the migration in these days.
>> All the best.
>>

> I know that the problem is migrating the plugins to the new infrastructure,
> but some users who update or install 1.8 don't know this situation.
> My idea is to write something to explain this.
>
> L.

I know the docs are currently undergoing revision, but currently the
instructions at
http://docs.qgis.org/user_guide/html/en/plugins/plugins.html#repositories-tab
still say to click the "Add 3rd party repositories" button.

Last night I added the QGIS Contributed Repository to 1.8 to get a
plugin I used in 1.7.4 that is not (yet?) in Official, but I'm a
little unclear about whether the distinction between Official and
Contributed will be meaningful going forward.
IIUC, any plugin that satisfies some minimal requirements (no
malicious code, at least minimal documentation, etc.) will get
approved for Official. Is the idea that all plugins from Contributed
should migrate to Official (at the authors' initiation and timetable)
and Contributed will go away?

--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth & Environmental Sciences (Geography)

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Paolo Cavallini
Il 27/06/2012 20:29, Lee Hachadoorian ha scritto:

> IIUC, any plugin that satisfies some minimal requirements (no
> malicious code, at least minimal documentation, etc.) will get
> approved for Official. Is the idea that all plugins from Contributed
> should migrate to Official (at the authors' initiation and timetable)
> and Contributed will go away?

Yes. Please anybode consider helping or sponsoring develoipers to speed up the
migration of your preferred plugin.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Pirmin Kalberer
Hi Paolo,

Am Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2012, 16.49:13 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:

> Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:
> > All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
> > repository" button.
> > I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
> > with the explanation of what happened.
> > What do you think about?
>
> -1
> I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating the
> plugins (at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which
> has major advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs
> have not time nor interest to do the migration in these days.

I was surprised as well that the 3rd party button has been removed. Can you
point me to the discussion thread leading to this decision? The options on the
third tab do still imply 3rd party repositories.

An incomplete list of plugins, which users of 1.8 won't ever find:
-EasyPrint
-CAD Tools
-Click-Fu
-TopoColour
-OpenLayers plugin
-Mapfile tools
-Metatools
-Interlis plugin
-Quantumnik
-OSM Tools

Who is coordinating the transfer of all plugins to the new repo?

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Alex Mandel-2
On 06/28/2012 03:26 PM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2012, 16.49:13 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:
>> Il 27/06/2012 16:44, Luca Casagrande ha scritto:
>>> All was fine, but some users were confused about the missing "third part
>>> repository" button.
>>> I think that would be nice to keep the button and show a dialogue window
>>> with the explanation of what happened.
>>> What do you think about?
>>
>> -1
>> I think the current situation is cleaner; the only problem is migrating the
>> plugins (at least those of general use) to the new infrastructure, which
>> has major advantages. Unfortunately it seems that some of the plugins devs
>> have not time nor interest to do the migration in these days.
>
> I was surprised as well that the 3rd party button has been removed. Can you
> point me to the discussion thread leading to this decision? The options on the
> third tab do still imply 3rd party repositories.
>
> An incomplete list of plugins, which users of 1.8 won't ever find:
> -EasyPrint
> -CAD Tools
> -Click-Fu
> -TopoColour
> -OpenLayers plugin
> -Mapfile tools
> -Metatools
> -Interlis plugin
> -Quantumnik
> -OSM Tools
>
> Who is coordinating the transfer of all plugins to the new repo?
>
> Regards
> Pirmin

Nobody (afaik), it's been left up to the authors of the plugins to
migrate them. Want to suggest a grace period after which we let anyone
do it (Not that there's any technical reason stopping anyone right now)?

I thought OSM shipped with QGIS now. Are you sure all of those plugins
are still supported and work with 1.8?

Users can still add all the 3rd party repos they want, we just tried to
make that less appealing (you must do it by hand) in the hopes that
authors would finally move their plugins.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

g_sherman

On Jun 28, 2012, at 14:26, Pirmin Kalberer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was surprised as well that the 3rd party button has been removed. Can you
> point me to the discussion thread leading to this decision?

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2012-May/001117.html

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2012-May/001119.html

-Gary
GeoApt LLC
Chair, Quantum GIS PSC
-gary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gary Sherman
GeoApt LLC
 http://geoapt.com
Founder, Quantum GIS
Chair, QGIS PSC
Book:
 http://geospatialdesktop.com
"We work virtually everywhere"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Re: Python plugins for 1.8

Paolo Cavallini
Il 29/06/2012 02:51, Alex Mandel ha scritto:

> make that less appealing (you must do it by hand) in the hopes that
> authors would finally move their plugins.

obviously the message did not get round clearly.
can we offer authors to help with the migration?
it would be much more efficient if one dev does it all.
all the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu