Python in OSGeo4W

Paolo Corti
Hello list

I am not a Windows user, but the few times I have been using OSGeo4W
it was working like a charm, so the following problems sounds strange
to me.
A colleague of mine is trying to install it on his Windows 7 64 bit
box, and for some reason the installer does not install Python and all
the Python stuff at all (Python GDAL bindings and so on).
Not sure if this could be related: on this system there is already
another Python (2.7) that was installed together with the ArcPy ArcGIS
Desktop library, but it is not set on PATH.

Any hints of what it could be?
thanks in advance

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: Python in OSGeo4W

mhw-at-yg
Hi Paolo,

Osgeo4w Python doesn't register itself with Windows. So it's likely that o4w python is there, just not visible. It should be located at C:\Osgeo4w\apps\python27. To test for it, open "Osgeo4W Shell" and run "python --version".

ArcGIS python and Osgeo4W python are not guaranteed to be so. The ArcGIS py lives at C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.x. Having both of them in PATH at once will lead to problems sooner or later, though depending on what modules are used it's possible to trundle along happily for quite awhile.

There's instructions for getting ArcGIS 9.x to use o4w python instead of it's own at http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/134/can-arcgis-and-osgeo4w-share-the-same-python-install, which I used successfully for many years. I haven't tried that since we migrated to 10.x though and am maintaining 3 distinct pythons (Arc, o4w, python3).

cheers,
matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment
867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
On 03/12/2013 5:02 AM, Paolo Corti wrote:
Hello list

I am not a Windows user, but the few times I have been using OSGeo4W
it was working like a charm, so the following problems sounds strange
to me.
A colleague of mine is trying to install it on his Windows 7 64 bit
box, and for some reason the installer does not install Python and all
the Python stuff at all (Python GDAL bindings and so on).
Not sure if this could be related: on this system there is already
another Python (2.7) that was installed together with the ArcPy ArcGIS
Desktop library, but it is not set on PATH.

Any hints of what it could be?
thanks in advance

-Matt

Re: Python in OSGeo4W

Paolo Corti
Hi

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Matt Wilkie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> Osgeo4w Python doesn't register itself with Windows. So it's likely that o4w
> python is there, just not visible. It should be located at
> C:\Osgeo4w\apps\python27. To test for it, open "Osgeo4W Shell" and run
> "python --version".

If you run the OSGeo shell, Python will work without having to set the
path, and this is not the case in the system experiencing the problem
in the subject.

As written in my previous email, Python and all the other
stuff were not installed at all by the OSGeo4W installer, and I do not
understand why, therefore I decided to send this email to the list.

After running the installer, there is not C:\Osgeo4w\apps\python27,
but apps contains just a msvcrt directory with a single file inside
it.

If I try the advanced installation, all the Python libraries are
marked as "Not Available".

regards

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti
skype: capooti

Re: Python in OSGeo4W

mhw-at-yg
After running the installer, there is not C:\Osgeo4w\apps\python27,
but apps contains just a msvcrt directory with a single file inside
it.

Ahh, this is indeed unusual. What is the name of the file?

Msvcrt is normally:
C:\Osgeo4w\bin\msvcrt.dll
C:\Osgeo4w\etc\ini\msvcrt.bat
C:\Osgeo4w\etc\postinstall\msvcrt.bat.done
Though I'm not up to speed on the changes this summer/fall with the 64bit version. There might be something different because of that.

-matt

-Matt