Python MapScript on PyPI

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python MapScript on PyPI

Tom Kralidis
Hi devs: given recent movement on Python MapScript [1][2],
Seth and I (here at Bonn code sprint) have been discussing
updates to Python MapScript being made available on PyPI.
For those who may not be aware, PyPI is Python's main package
index.  Publishing to PyPI would allow for users to (assuming
a MapServer installation) easily install MapScript for Python-based
workflows.

Having said this, it turns out MapScript is currently published to
PyPI [3] dating back to 5.6.3.

I will contact the PyPI maintainers to discuss having PyPI
releases as part of the MapServer release process proper.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.

Thanks

..Tom

[1] https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5561
[2] https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5569
[3] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mapscript
_______________________________________________
mapserver-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python MapScript on PyPI

Tom Kralidis
Update: good news the maintainers have graciously added Seth
(geographika) and myself
as maintainers on PyPI.

Let's discuss next steps on publishing Python MapScript to PyPI
as part of the release process?  Seth/others any thoughts?

..Tom


On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs: given recent movement on Python MapScript [1][2],
> Seth and I (here at Bonn code sprint) have been discussing
> updates to Python MapScript being made available on PyPI.
> For those who may not be aware, PyPI is Python's main package
> index.  Publishing to PyPI would allow for users to (assuming
> a MapServer installation) easily install MapScript for Python-based
> workflows.
>
> Having said this, it turns out MapScript is currently published to
> PyPI [3] dating back to 5.6.3.
>
> I will contact the PyPI maintainers to discuss having PyPI
> releases as part of the MapServer release process proper.
>
> If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.
>
> Thanks
>
> ..Tom
>
> [1] https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5561
> [2] https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5569
> [3] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mapscript
_______________________________________________
mapserver-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python MapScript on PyPI

Seth G-2
The ideal scenario would be to automatically build, test, and if test pass push new Python 2 and 3 MapScript Wheels to PyPI. Travis would be used for Linux and Appveyor for Windows.
This would then allow "pip install mapscript" for Python 2 or 3.
The MapServer binaries would need to be installed on the same machine, and PATH set to point to these for MapScript to work.
I'm not sure how compatible MapScript would be on a Linux build - if anyone can provide details in this it would be useful.
https://github.com/pypa/manylinux might help?
On Windows we could test py2 and py3 against the x64 GISInternals MapServver builds and x32 ms4w builds.

Seth


--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Tom Kralidis wrote:

> Update: good news the maintainers have graciously added Seth
> (geographika) and myself
> as maintainers on PyPI.
>
> Let's discuss next steps on publishing Python MapScript to PyPI
> as part of the release process?  Seth/others any thoughts?
>
> ..Tom
>
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi devs: given recent movement on Python MapScript [1][2],
> > Seth and I (here at Bonn code sprint) have been discussing
> > updates to Python MapScript being made available on PyPI.
> > For those who may not be aware, PyPI is Python's main package
> > index.  Publishing to PyPI would allow for users to (assuming
> > a MapServer installation) easily install MapScript for Python-based
> > workflows.
> >
> > Having said this, it turns out MapScript is currently published to
> > PyPI [3] dating back to 5.6.3.
> >
> > I will contact the PyPI maintainers to discuss having PyPI
> > releases as part of the MapServer release process proper.
> >
> > If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ..Tom
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5561
> > [2] https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5569
> > [3] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mapscript
> _______________________________________________
> mapserver-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev
_______________________________________________
mapserver-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python MapScript on PyPI

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mardi, 27 mars 2018 08.52:46 h CEST Seth G wrote:

> The ideal scenario would be to automatically build, test, and if test pass
> push new Python 2 and 3 MapScript Wheels to PyPI. Travis would be used for
> Linux and Appveyor for Windows. This would then allow "pip install
> mapscript" for Python 2 or 3.
> The MapServer binaries would need to be installed on the same machine, and
> PATH set to point to these for MapScript to work. I'm not sure how
> compatible MapScript would be on a Linux build - if anyone can provide
> details in this it would be useful. https://github.com/pypa/manylinux might
> help?
> On Windows we could test py2 and py3 against the x64 GISInternals MapServver
> builds and x32 ms4w builds.
>
> Seth

There's no that much real downstream
Fedora, openSUSE, gentoo, Mageia, Debian (then its derivative)

As upstream a recommended way where to install mapserv all the same
should be possible or at least not impossible.

I'm not that aware of the global process but an RFC (or issue) and call for
participate could be a start

What the other think about it ?
 
--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch
 Bareos Partner, openSUSE Member, fsfe fellowship
 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot




_______________________________________________
mapserver-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/mapserver-dev