PyWPS winter code sprint

ldesousa
Dear board members,

I am presently organising a winter code sprint for the PyWPS project. It should take place in the first months of 2017, gathering the members of the PSC plus one or two other contributors.

GeoCAT kindly offered to host the event, therefore the costs are now down to travelling. Can OSGeo help with it? If yes, is there any formal procedure I should follow?

Thank you,

Luís

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

dirkf
Dear Luis,

Thank you for your mail.
There is no formal procedure and sponsoring questions are considered
case by case. It is however the goal to set up more clear rules what is
eligible for sponsoring and what not.

I will discuss your question on the board level on the Loomio platform,
which we selected as a new and modern discussion platform.

I started a new thread which you can follow here [1]

Hope we come to a consensus so we can reply on your request.

Regards,
Dirk

[1] https://www.loomio.org/d/8aTgt4pr

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

jody.garnett
Um, I thought there were formal procedure for code sprint sponsorship - I had it explained to me last year :)

The page is here (with respect to fund raising) https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines .

The sprint organizers can choose what the sponsorship is used for of course, some of the group sprints focus no venue, the geoserver sprint last year focused on helping out with travel costs so more people could attend.

--
Jody Garnett

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B32%209%20236%2060%2018" value="+3292366018">+32 9 236 60 18
GSM: <a href="tel:%2B32%20495%20508%20799" value="+32495508799">+32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

dirkf
Jody,

Thank you for your mail.

@Luis: can you please fill in this questionnair, so we can add it as a
topic on hte agenda of the board. As we use Loomio now, we can handle
this as soon as we receive your request.
Eventually with an IRC session when the board should have extra questions.

Dirk

On 2016-09-07 11:11, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Um, I thought there were formal procedure for code sprint sponsorship -
> I had it explained to me last year :)
>
> The page is here (with respect to fund raising)
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines .
>
> The sprint organizers can choose what the sponsorship is used for of
> course, some of the group sprints focus no venue, the geoserver sprint
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoServer_Code_Sprint_2016>last year
> focused
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mp2xWq95t1rqwle6_WCQ0qD8D9-1icitLH0AiJQ7r4Y/edit>
> on helping out with travel costs so more people could attend.
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 6 September 2016 at 18:50, Dirk Frigne <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Luis,
>
>     Thank you for your mail.
>     There is no formal procedure and sponsoring questions are considered
>     case by case. It is however the goal to set up more clear rules what is
>     eligible for sponsoring and what not.
>
>     I will discuss your question on the board level on the Loomio platform,
>     which we selected as a new and modern discussion platform.
>
>     I started a new thread which you can follow here [1]
>
>     Hope we come to a consensus so we can reply on your request.
>
>     Regards,
>     Dirk
>

>     [1] https://www.loomio.org/d/8aTgt4pr
>     <https://www.loomio.org/d/8aTgt4pr>
>
>     On 2016-08-31 08:35, Luí­s de Sousa wrote:
>     > Dear board members,
>     >
>     > I am presently organising a winter code sprint for the PyWPS
>     project. It
>     > should take place in the first months of 2017, gathering the
>     members of
>     > the PSC plus one or two other contributors.
>     >
>     > GeoCAT kindly offered to host the event, therefore the costs are now
>     > down to travelling. Can OSGeo help with it? If yes, is there any
>     formal
>     > procedure I should follow?
>     >
>     > Thank you,
>     >
>     > Luís
>     >
>     >
>
>     --
>     Yours sincerely,
>

>     ir. Dirk Frigne
>     CEO @geosparc
>
>     Geosparc n.v.
>     Brugsesteenweg 587
>     B-9030 Ghent
>     Tel: +32 9 236 60 18 <tel:%2B32%209%20236%2060%2018>
>     GSM: +32 495 508 799 <tel:%2B32%20495%20508%20799>
>
>     http://www.geomajas.org
>     http://www.geosparc.com
>
>     @DFrigne
>     be.linkedin.com/in/frigne <http://be.linkedin.com/in/frigne>

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

ldesousa
Dear all, you may find below the details required in the Wiki. Regards,

Luís

Basic Information
--------------------------
    Audience: between 4 and 7 (PSC + 1 or 2 other developers)
    Region: Bennekom, Netherlands
    Projects: PyWPS
    Length: 2 to 3 days
    Venue: GeoCAT headquarters

Expected budget
-------------------------
    Registration fee: none
    Third-party sponsorship: none
    In-kind donations:
        - GeoCAT provides accommodation and work space
        - Participants buy their own food/drinks
    Desired contribution from OSGeo: 2 000 €
    Expected cost per attendee:
        - those travelling from Europe: 200 €
        - those travelling from North America: 1 000 €
    Expected cost of venue: 0 €

Profit / Loss / Risk

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

jody.garnett
So this proposal seems to run adrift of the sponsorship criteria for "sole source" of funding (see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines). Is there anything we can do to scare up sponsors?

I also note that GeoCat is providing facilities, it would be great to acknowledge them as an in-kind sponsor when doing any publicity associated with this event.

--
Jody Garnett

On 9 September 2016 at 17:08, Luí­s de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

----------------------------
    Surplus money: returned to OSGeo
    Expected losses: none

Publicly available budget

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

dirkf
I also see that there is an issue with giving value to a wide OSGeo
community (multiple OSGeo projects).
Could the sprint be extended towards other projects?

Dirk.

On 2016-09-13 02:38, Jody Garnett wrote:

> So this proposal seems to run adrift of the sponsorship criteria for
> "sole source" of funding
> (see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines). Is there
> anything we can do to scare up sponsors?
>
> I also note that GeoCat is providing facilities, it would be great to
> acknowledge them as an in-kind sponsor when doing any publicity
> associated with this event.
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 9 September 2016 at 17:08, Luí­s de Sousa
>
>     Dear all, you may find below the details required in the Wiki. Regards,
>
>     Luís
>
>     Basic Information
>     --------------------------
>         Audience: between 4 and 7 (PSC + 1 or 2 other developers)
>         Region: Bennekom, Netherlands
>         Projects: PyWPS
>         Length: 2 to 3 days
>         Venue: GeoCAT headquarters
>
>     Expected budget
>     -------------------------
>         Registration fee: none
>         Third-party sponsorship: none
>         In-kind donations:
>             - GeoCAT provides accommodation and work space
>             - Participants buy their own food/drinks
>         Desired contribution from OSGeo: 2 000 €
>         Expected cost per attendee:
>             - those travelling from Europe: 200 €
>             - those travelling from North America: 1 000 €
>         Expected cost of venue: 0 €
>
>     Profit / Loss / Risk
>     ----------------------------
>         Surplus money: returned to OSGeo
>         Expected losses: none
>
>     Publicly available budget
>     ------------------------------------
>     https://github.com/geopython/pywps/wiki/2017-Winter-Code-Sprint
>     <https://github.com/geopython/pywps/wiki/2017-Winter-Code-Sprint>

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

ldesousa
Hi there Dirk,

We could eventually include a parallel programme on PyCSW, since one of the PSC members is also contributing to that project. However, the number of attendants is limited to the lodgings provided by GeoCAT.

Cheers,

Luís

I also see that there is an issue with giving value to a wide OSGeo
community (multiple OSGeo projects).
Could the sprint be extended towards other projects?

Dirk.

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

dirkf
Luis,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I don't think there is an issue on the number of attendants. And I think
your question is a valid question. I think the board should discuss now
and take a decision using the guidelines there are. Eventually improving
the guidelines as a side result.

Personally, I think you should try to find some sponsors amongst the
companies supporting the platform and earning ervenue with it. Also the
clients having the benefits of the work should consider sponsoring.

For OSGeo it is very difficult to promote one project over another. In
that way a code sprint open for all the projects should receive more
support than a one project initiative. (but this are only my personal 2c).
Another approach could be to distribute the budget amongst all the OSGeo
projects, who then decide on their own what to do with the budget. In
that case, I think your initiative should be elegible for funding. But
if we want this, we should change the directives, Jody pointed at.

Dirk

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

ldesousa
Thank you Dirk for these clarifications. I will seek funding from other sources. Regards,

Luís

Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

dirkf
Luis,

I think it is a good idea to seek further for funding.
There is however not yet a decision of the board yet. I've put our
discussion on Loomio and ask for consensus.

https://www.loomio.org/d/8aTgt4pr/request-for-sponsoring-how-to-allocate-the-budget

Dirk

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: PyWPS winter code sprint

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Dirk,

I believe, there is no problem with more projects at one event. It could also be nice opportunity for those sprinters, who can not make it to US this year for the c-tribe code sprint

--
Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc