[PyWPS-dev] PyWPS 4.2

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Dear all,

last week PyWPS 4.0 commemorated 2 years (yes, already). There has been no new release since, even though there are some important bugs in that tag. In spite of all the great contributions we have had the past two years, the issue list for the 4.2 milestone appears to never shorten enough. The project needs to have more frequent releases to signal the community all the improvements that have been introduced.

I think PyPWS needs to have a new release shortly. I propose the following:
1. move all bugs in milestone 4.2 to a new one named 4.2.1
2. move all the other issues not marked as bugs in milestone 4.2 to milestone 4.4
3. tag the current head as 4.2 and release it

Makes sense? Anything that absolutely needs to be finished before 4.2 is released?

Cheers.
--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: PyWPS 4.2

Carsten Ehbrecht-3
I agree.

Just non-stopping comments.

* do we need an explicit milestone 4.2.1?
* who is doing the release? Access rights to pypi, readthedocs?

We might like to have this one in:
https://github.com/geopython/pywps/pull/426

But it can also come with 4.2.1 ;)

We should have more minor releases 4.2.x in the future.

I can take care of the automatic conda packaging on conda-forge when the release is done.

Cheers,
Carsten

> On 11 Dec 2018, at 19:05, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> last week PyWPS 4.0 commemorated 2 years (yes, already). There has been no new release since, even though there are some important bugs in that tag. In spite of all the great contributions we have had the past two years, the issue list for the 4.2 milestone appears to never shorten enough. The project needs to have more frequent releases to signal the community all the improvements that have been introduced.
>
> I think PyPWS needs to have a new release shortly. I propose the following:
> 1. move all bugs in milestone 4.2 to a new one named 4.2.1
> 2. move all the other issues not marked as bugs in milestone 4.2 to milestone 4.4
> 3. tag the current head as 4.2 and release it
>
> Makes sense? Anything that absolutely needs to be finished before 4.2 is released?
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Luís Moreira de Sousa
> Email: [hidden email]
> RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: PyWPS 4.2

Tom Kralidis
Thanks Luí­s. Suggest (slight mod):

- Finalize commits
- keep milestone 4.2. All issues that will not be fixed for 4.2 go into either 4.2.1 or 4.4
- release 4.2.0 off master

Comments? I can do the release/PyPI.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2018, at 13:05, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I would say, go ahead with the release when you have time to do so. Having a release this year would be nice.

Any open PRs that can’t be merged before can go into 4.2.1 … and we can have a patch release early next year.

> On 11 Dec 2018, at 23:34, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Luí­s. Suggest (slight mod):
>
> - Finalize commits
> - keep milestone 4.2. All issues that will not be fixed for 4.2 go into either 4.2.1 or 4.4
> - release 4.2.0 off master
>
> Comments? I can do the release/PyPI.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 11, 2018, at 13:05, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> last week PyWPS 4.0 commemorated 2 years (yes, already). There has been no new release since, even though there are some important bugs in that tag. In spite of all the great contributions we have had the past two years, the issue list for the 4.2 milestone appears to never shorten enough. The project needs to have more frequent releases to signal the community all the improvements that have been introduced.
>>
>> I think PyPWS needs to have a new release shortly. I propose the following:
>> 1. move all bugs in milestone 4.2 to a new one named 4.2.1
>> 2. move all the other issues not marked as bugs in milestone 4.2 to milestone 4.4
>> 3. tag the current head as 4.2 and release it
>>
>> Makes sense? Anything that absolutely needs to be finished before 4.2 is released?
>>
>> Cheers.
>> --
>> Luís Moreira de Sousa
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
>>
>> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: PyWPS 4.2

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Hi again,

the idea of having bugs in 4.2.1 was simply to prioritize bug fixing. However, it might be better to keep it simple and move everything to 4.4. If any major bug gets resolved in the meantime we can then release 4.2.1. The correct way would be to open a branch for 4.2 were bugs would be resolved, but that would increase management complexity too much.

Carsten, since you have been the person managing things closer, I propose we wait for you to flag "good to go" on 4.2. We can then have a formal PSC vote for the new release.

Another important thing is to collect all the new features in a pretty release note. Who can do that?

Thank you all.

--

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:34 PM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I can update the following docs and  make a PR for review.
* https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
* https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/debian/changelog

I can raise a “good to go” for 4.2 release.

> Another important thing is to collect all the new features in a pretty release note. Who can do that?

I can just collect the technical things in the changelog. To make this pretty is another thing.

Cheers,
Carsten

> On 12 Dec 2018, at 20:42, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> the idea of having bugs in 4.2.1 was simply to prioritize bug fixing. However, it might be better to keep it simple and move everything to 4.4. If any major bug gets resolved in the meantime we can then release 4.2.1. The correct way would be to open a branch for 4.2 were bugs would be resolved, but that would increase management complexity too much.
>
> Carsten, since you have been the person managing things closer, I propose we wait for you to flag "good to go" on 4.2. We can then have a formal PSC vote for the new release.
>
> Another important thing is to collect all the new features in a pretty release note. Who can do that?
>
> Thank you all.
>
> --
> Luís Moreira de Sousa
> Email: [hidden email]
> RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Jachym Cepicky
thank you

čt 13. 12. 2018 v 11:04 odesílatel Carsten Ehbrecht <[hidden email]> napsal:

> I can update the following docs and  make a PR for review.
> * https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
> * https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/debian/changelog
>

> I can raise a “good to go” for 4.2 release.
>
> > Another important thing is to collect all the new features in a pretty release note. Who can do that?
>

> I can just collect the technical things in the changelog. To make this pretty is another thing.
>
> Cheers,
> Carsten
>

> > On 12 Dec 2018, at 20:42, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi again,
> >
> > the idea of having bugs in 4.2.1 was simply to prioritize bug fixing. However, it might be better to keep it simple and move everything to 4.4. If any major bug gets resolved in the meantime we can then release 4.2.1. The correct way would be to open a branch for 4.2 were bugs would be resolved, but that would increase management complexity too much.
> >
> > Carsten, since you have been the person managing things closer, I propose we wait for you to flag "good to go" on 4.2. We can then have a formal PSC vote for the new release.
> >
> > Another important thing is to collect all the new features in a pretty release note. Who can do that?
> >
> > Thank you all.
> >
> > --
> > Luís Moreira de Sousa
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
> >
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: PyWPS 4.2

tomkralidis
Hi all: thanks for everyone's support here.  Updates on my side:

- cut 4.2.0 tag
- created pywps-4.2 branch
- created 4.2.1 milestone and moved all 4.2.0 issues to 4.2.1
- closed 4.2.0 milestone
- updated http://pywps.org/download
- updated version in MASTER to 4.3.dev0 (N.B. to be PEP 440 compliant
moving forward)
- built the 4.2.0 docs on readthedocs.io
- published to PyPI

TODO:
- I have not update pywps-flask (not sure what the state of this is).
- I propose we remove
https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md in
lieu of updating
https://github.com/geopython/pywps/wiki/ReleasePackaging, given the
process changes over time (having it on wiki makes it more
collaborative IMHO).  Thoughts?
- communications/release announcement:
 - I haven't sent out the email yet because I'm not sure of state of
pywps-flask, but can do so once I have a thumbs up from someone else
from the PSC
 - can someone write a blogpost?  Even a copy / paste of the email
will be helpful to circulate to there blog aggregators/etc. out there

..Tom

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:58 PM Carsten Ehbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would say, go ahead with the release when you have time to do so. Having a release this year would be nice.
>
> Any open PRs that can’t be merged before can go into 4.2.1 … and we can have a patch release early next year.
>
> > On 11 Dec 2018, at 23:34, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Luí­s. Suggest (slight mod):
> >
> > - Finalize commits
> > - keep milestone 4.2. All issues that will not be fixed for 4.2 go into either 4.2.1 or 4.4
> > - release 4.2.0 off master
> >
> > Comments? I can do the release/PyPI.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Dec 11, 2018, at 13:05, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> last week PyWPS 4.0 commemorated 2 years (yes, already). There has been no new release since, even though there are some important bugs in that tag. In spite of all the great contributions we have had the past two years, the issue list for the 4.2 milestone appears to never shorten enough. The project needs to have more frequent releases to signal the community all the improvements that have been introduced.
> >>
> >> I think PyPWS needs to have a new release shortly. I propose the following:
> >> 1. move all bugs in milestone 4.2 to a new one named 4.2.1
> >> 2. move all the other issues not marked as bugs in milestone 4.2 to milestone 4.4
> >> 3. tag the current head as 4.2 and release it
> >>
> >> Makes sense? Anything that absolutely needs to be finished before 4.2 is released?
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >> --
> >> Luís Moreira de Sousa
> >> Email: [hidden email]
> >> RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
> >>
> >> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: PyWPS 4.2

Carsten Ehbrecht-3
@Tom Thanks :)

I have opened a ticket for the raised question (release howto):

We only have the Python 2.x package uploaded on pypi:

On 17 Dec 2018, at 2:25 am, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: PyWPS 4.2

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa

regarding pywps-flask, Jorge has recently resumed work on the backlog. The holiday season should provide him a nice space to tackle the most relevant issues. I will lend a hand too.

I can write up a blog post. Did not know we had one :)

Cheers.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Email: [hidden email]

On Monday, December 17, 2018 2:25 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all: thanks for everyone's support here. Updates on my side:
>
> -   cut 4.2.0 tag
> -   created pywps-4.2 branch
> -   created 4.2.1 milestone and moved all 4.2.0 issues to 4.2.1
> -   closed 4.2.0 milestone
> -   updated http://pywps.org/download
> -   updated version in MASTER to 4.3.dev0 (N.B. to be PEP 440 compliant
>     moving forward)
>
> -   built the 4.2.0 docs on readthedocs.io
> -   published to PyPI
>
>     TODO:
>
> -   I have not update pywps-flask (not sure what the state of this is).
> -   I propose we remove
>     https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md in
>     lieu of updating
>     https://github.com/geopython/pywps/wiki/ReleasePackaging, given the
>     process changes over time (having it on wiki makes it more
>     collaborative IMHO). Thoughts?
>
> -   communications/release announcement:
> -   I haven't sent out the email yet because I'm not sure of state of
>     pywps-flask, but can do so once I have a thumbs up from someone else
>     from the PSC
>
> -   can someone write a blogpost? Even a copy / paste of the email
>     will be helpful to circulate to there blog aggregators/etc. out there
>
>     ..Tom
>
>     On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:58 PM Carsten Ehbrecht [hidden email] wrote:
>

> > I would say, go ahead with the release when you have time to do so. Having a release this year would be nice.
> > Any open PRs that can’t be merged before can go into 4.2.1 … and we can have a patch release early next year.
> >
> > > On 11 Dec 2018, at 23:34, Tom Kralidis [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Thanks Luí­s. Suggest (slight mod):
> > >
> > > -   Finalize commits
> > > -   keep milestone 4.2. All issues that will not be fixed for 4.2 go into either 4.2.1 or 4.4
> > > -   release 4.2.0 off master
> > >
> > > Comments? I can do the release/PyPI.
> > > Sent from my iPhone

> > > pywps-dev mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/pywps-dev

Re: PyWPS 4.2

tomkralidis
Thanks.  Website/blog setup is at https://github.com/geopython/pywps.org

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> regarding pywps-flask, Jorge has recently resumed work on the backlog. The holiday season should provide him a nice space to tackle the most relevant issues. I will lend a hand too.
>
> I can write up a blog post. Did not know we had one :)
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Luís Moreira de Sousa
> Email: [hidden email]
> RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Ah, that! I shall work on it this Wednesday.

Thank you all for your contribution.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Email: [hidden email]

On Monday, December 17, 2018 8:44 PM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks. Website/blog setup is at https://github.com/geopython/pywps.org
>
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > regarding pywps-flask, Jorge has recently resumed work on the backlog. The holiday season should provide him a nice space to tackle the most relevant issues. I will lend a hand too.
> > I can write up a blog post. Did not know we had one :)
> > Cheers.
> > --
> > Luís Moreira de Sousa
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus
Hi to all

I am available during xtmas to work on the pywps-flask, the images need some correction concerning the usage of tag latest, travis needs to be checked for failure to build (problem with GDAL build) and an upgrade to alpine 3.8 and ubuntu 18.04.

Thank you all for the work on the release

Jorge

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 8:51 PM Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah, that! I shall work on it this Wednesday.

Thank you all for your contribution.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Email: [hidden email]
RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Monday, December 17, 2018 8:44 PM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks. Website/blog setup is at https://github.com/geopython/pywps.org
>
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > regarding pywps-flask, Jorge has recently resumed work on the backlog. The holiday season should provide him a nice space to tackle the most relevant issues. I will lend a hand too.
> > I can write up a blog post. Did not know we had one :)
> > Cheers.
> > --
> > Luís Moreira de Sousa
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

a new blog post about PyWPS 4.2 is ready for review:
https://github.com/geopython/pywps.org/pull/7

Meanwhile I noticed there was some sort of regression with the documentation. For instance, the development page is no longer in the master branch and some old information became visible again. The last update to the development page was this:
https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/d2fcde33d52e2da7d0ddaf76931f1275ae444e6d/docs/development.rst

I could not yet find the reason for this regression. Any quick ideas? Otherwise I will open a ticket to investigate this.

Cheers.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Email: [hidden email]
RingID: ring:7ca91d83f4f9dec82fec9f1144b8e5c1ef2a110c

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: PyWPS 4.2

Carsten Ehbrecht-3
Hi Luís,

I have made a quick review of the blog post … sounds nice :) Just check my comments due to typos.

The dev-guide was replaced by  *contributing.rst*, See PR:

Cheers,
Carsten

Hi all,