Publishing the Ledger

Dan Little-2
Hey Folks,

I have put together the start of a 'ledger'. Right now it's a spreadsheet in .ODS format. Barring objections, I'd like to create a repository on the web-server which can be accessed over SSH to store the ledger.  This can give folks who are interested access without putting _everything_ up on GitHub.

For those interested, we have $1,126 available at present.

Thanks again!

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Jim Klassen-2
Thoughts:

A plain text format might be better suited with git.  Org would be ideal (it can save formulas and recalculate like spreadsheets) except for most of the magic only works in emacs, and despite emacs clearly being the one true editor, I realize not everyone is ready to accept that yet.  But, some other format like CSV or markdown table could work too.  Mostly, I'd like to be able to use diff/blame to make it easy to audit who changed what when.

The geomoose.org server is only sporatically backed up right now (mostly before and after larger system config changes and GeoMoose releases).  I have been assuming the day to day changes are covered by what is on github and people's local clones.  Thus is this isn't living on github, we should be extra sure we are maintaining a separate  copies (that are kept up to date) off server.

I have no problem with git over ssh (or git over email).  That is how it was designed to work in the first place.  We could go as simple as using the geomoose account or even easily setup gitolite.

We should maybe look at using GPG signed commits (git commit -S) for this repo.

On Dec 8, 2017 8:44 AM, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Folks,

I have put together the start of a 'ledger'. Right now it's a spreadsheet in .ODS format. Barring objections, I'd like to create a repository on the web-server which can be accessed over SSH to store the ledger.  This can give folks who are interested access without putting _everything_ up on GitHub.

For those interested, we have $1,126 available at present.

Thanks again!

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Eli Adam
Thanks for starting this Dan.  Github doesn't seem quite right (unless
open source projects also got one private repo for security, finances,
and other non-public issues)

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:25 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thoughts:
>
> A plain text format might be better suited with git.  Org would be ideal (it

I was also thinking of some form of text format.

> can save formulas and recalculate like spreadsheets) except for most of the
> magic only works in emacs, and despite emacs clearly being the one true
> editor, I realize not everyone is ready to accept that yet.  But, some other
> format like CSV or markdown table could work too.  Mostly, I'd like to be

CSV is simple text and can still be used by spreadsheet programs.

> able to use diff/blame to make it easy to audit who changed what when.

Yes, changesets was the point.  I suppose that there is not going to
be a lot of churn on this file so I could download 10 copies of binary
files and open and look at them.  But that is using me (a human) to do
diffs.

> The geomoose.org server is only sporatically backed up right now (mostly
> before and after larger system config changes and GeoMoose releases).  I
> have been assuming the day to day changes are covered by what is on github
> and people's local clones.  Thus is this isn't living on github, we should
> be extra sure we are maintaining a separate  copies (that are kept up to
> date) off server.
>
> I have no problem with git over ssh (or git over email).  That is how it was
> designed to work in the first place.  We could go as simple as using the
> geomoose account or even easily setup gitolite.

Every PSC meeting that has a report about finances could be a prompt
for PSC members to copy the repo somewhere.

> We should maybe look at using GPG signed commits (git commit -S) for this
> repo.

Maybe.  I don't expect that we'll have confusion over who is making
the commits.

Best regards, Eli

> On Dec 8, 2017 8:44 AM, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I have put together the start of a 'ledger'. Right now it's a spreadsheet
>> in .ODS format. Barring objections, I'd like to create a repository on the
>> web-server which can be accessed over SSH to store the ledger.  This can
>> give folks who are interested access without putting _everything_ up on
>> GitHub.
>>
>> For those interested, we have $1,126 available at present.
>>
>> Thanks again!

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Dan Little-2
CSV is fine with me as well. That does allow for easy diffing and use of spreadsheet programs as desired.  I will probably also include a "check balance" Python script for doing some basic reporting.  There are CLI and text based ledger programs.  I really don't want to go deep into a format debate or over-do the accounting for what really is a simple money-in-money-out + voting record.

In terms of backup and redundancy, I will have the repo cloned locally, which gets backed up regularly, and those who have interest will also be able to do pulls.  The bank account should also have some information and I'll put Nancy and Steve's contact information in the repository so that if something unfortunate were to happen, someone will be able to pick up the torch and continue on.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for starting this Dan.  Github doesn't seem quite right (unless
open source projects also got one private repo for security, finances,
and other non-public issues)

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:25 AM, James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thoughts:
>
> A plain text format might be better suited with git.  Org would be ideal (it

I was also thinking of some form of text format.

> can save formulas and recalculate like spreadsheets) except for most of the
> magic only works in emacs, and despite emacs clearly being the one true
> editor, I realize not everyone is ready to accept that yet.  But, some other
> format like CSV or markdown table could work too.  Mostly, I'd like to be

CSV is simple text and can still be used by spreadsheet programs.

> able to use diff/blame to make it easy to audit who changed what when.

Yes, changesets was the point.  I suppose that there is not going to
be a lot of churn on this file so I could download 10 copies of binary
files and open and look at them.  But that is using me (a human) to do
diffs.

> The geomoose.org server is only sporatically backed up right now (mostly
> before and after larger system config changes and GeoMoose releases).  I
> have been assuming the day to day changes are covered by what is on github
> and people's local clones.  Thus is this isn't living on github, we should
> be extra sure we are maintaining a separate  copies (that are kept up to
> date) off server.
>
> I have no problem with git over ssh (or git over email).  That is how it was
> designed to work in the first place.  We could go as simple as using the
> geomoose account or even easily setup gitolite.

Every PSC meeting that has a report about finances could be a prompt
for PSC members to copy the repo somewhere.

> We should maybe look at using GPG signed commits (git commit -S) for this
> repo.

Maybe.  I don't expect that we'll have confusion over who is making
the commits.

Best regards, Eli

> On Dec 8, 2017 8:44 AM, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I have put together the start of a 'ledger'. Right now it's a spreadsheet
>> in .ODS format. Barring objections, I'd like to create a repository on the
>> web-server which can be accessed over SSH to store the ledger.  This can
>> give folks who are interested access without putting _everything_ up on
>> GitHub.
>>
>> For those interested, we have $1,126 available at present.
>>
>> Thanks again!

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Jim Klassen-2

Ok.  CSV or maybe even just markdown.  Whatever keeps it simple.

On 12/08/2017 01:47 PM, Dan Little wrote:
> [...]

Every PSC meeting that has a report about finances could be a prompt
for PSC members to copy the repo somewhere.

> We should maybe look at using GPG signed commits (git commit -S) for this
> repo.

Maybe.  I don't expect that we'll have confusion over who is making
the commits.

Best regards, Eli

> On Dec 8, 2017 8:44 AM, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I have put together the start of a 'ledger'. Right now it's a spreadsheet
>> in .ODS format. Barring objections, I'd like to create a repository on the
>> web-server which can be accessed over SSH to store the ledger.  This can
>> give folks who are interested access without putting _everything_ up on
>> GitHub.
>>
>> For those interested, we have $1,126 available at present.

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Dan Little-2
I've created a Git repository on www.

1. I created a new 'ledger' account on www.
2. I initialized a bare git repo.
3. I put a new public key of mine into authorized_keys.
4. I added www as origin, and set it to master's upstream on my local clone.
5. There is a summary.py file that will summarize the CSV file.

If there's anyone (other than Jim) who would like me to add their public key to the repo, please let me know.  I will do so and send you the appropriate git-clone command.

Cheers!

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Every PSC meeting that has a report about finances could be a prompt
for PSC members to copy the repo somewhere.

> We should maybe look at using GPG signed commits (git commit -S) for this
> repo.

Maybe.  I don't expect that we'll have confusion over who is making
the commits.

Best regards, Eli

> On Dec 8, 2017 8:44 AM, "Dan Little" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Folks,
>>
>> I have put together the start of a 'ledger'. Right now it's a spreadsheet
>> in .ODS format. Barring objections, I'd like to create a repository on the
>> web-server which can be accessed over SSH to store the ledger.  This can
>> give folks who are interested access without putting _everything_ up on
>> GitHub.
>>
>> For those interested, we have $1,126 available at present.

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Eli Adam
On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've created a Git repository on www.
>
> 1. I created a new 'ledger' account on www.
> 2. I initialized a bare git repo.
> 3. I put a new public key of mine into authorized_keys.
> 4. I added www as origin, and set it to master's upstream on my local clone.
> 5. There is a summary.py file that will summarize the CSV file.
>
> If there's anyone (other than Jim) who would like me to add their public key
> to the repo, please let me know.  I will do so and send you the appropriate
> git-clone command.

I'll give this a go as well.  You should be able to find my public key
already on www.

Thanks, Eli

> Cheers!
>
> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Jim Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok.  CSV or maybe even just markdown.  Whatever keeps it simple.
>>

>> On 12/08/2017 01:47 PM, Dan Little wrote:
>>
>> CSV is fine with me as well. That does allow for easy diffing and use of
>> spreadsheet programs as desired.  I will probably also include a "check
>> balance" Python script for doing some basic reporting.  There are CLI and
>> text based ledger programs.  I really don't want to go deep into a format
>> debate or over-do the accounting for what really is a simple
>> money-in-money-out + voting record.
>>
>> In terms of backup and redundancy, I will have the repo cloned locally,
>> which gets backed up regularly, and those who have interest will also be
>> able to do pulls.  The bank account should also have some information and
>> I'll put Nancy and Steve's contact information in the repository so that if
>> something unfortunate were to happen, someone will be able to pick up the
>> torch and continue on.
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for starting this Dan.  Github doesn't seem quite right (unless
>>> open source projects also got one private repo for security, finances,
>>> and other non-public issues)

>>> I was also thinking of some form of text format.

>>> CSV is simple text and can still be used by spreadsheet programs.

>>> Yes, changesets was the point.  I suppose that there is not going to
>>> be a lot of churn on this file so I could download 10 copies of binary
>>> files and open and look at them.  But that is using me (a human) to do
>>> diffs.

>>> Every PSC meeting that has a report about finances could be a prompt
>>> for PSC members to copy the repo somewhere.

>>> Maybe.  I don't expect that we'll have confusion over who is making
>>> the commits.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Eli

Re: Publishing the Ledger

Eli Adam
On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Dan Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've created a Git repository on www.
>>
>> 1. I created a new 'ledger' account on www.
>> 2. I initialized a bare git repo.
>> 3. I put a new public key of mine into authorized_keys.
>> 4. I added www as origin, and set it to master's upstream on my local clone.
>> 5. There is a summary.py file that will summarize the CSV file.
>>
>> If there's anyone (other than Jim) who would like me to add their public key
>> to the repo, please let me know.  I will do so and send you the appropriate
>> git-clone command.
>
> I'll give this a go as well.  You should be able to find my public key
> already on www.

Thanks!  I've successfully cloned the repo.  (re)Reading this helped
me out, https://superuser.com/questions/232373/how-to-tell-git-which-private-key-to-use#232406

Eli