Publishing KML via Geoserver

Smart, Gary               Export License Required - US UTAS

I have KML files which I would like to serve out via Geoserver.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I don’t see how to create a layer from a KML file – there only seems to be options to create layers from Shapefiles.  All references to KML I have found on the web seem to relate to exporting KML, not importing it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Re: Publishing KML via Geoserver

geowolf
On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Smart, Gary Export License Required - US UTAS <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have KML files which I would like to serve out via Geoserver.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I don’t see how to create a layer from a KML file – there only seems to be options to create layers from Shapefiles.  All references to KML I have found on the web seem to relate to exporting KML, not importing it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

There is no such a thing as publishing a KML as is, that's why you cannot find it.
The closest thing we have is importing the KML into a target data store (postgis, shapefile) from where we can publish using the importer extension.
However, that will make it lose its styles.

Adding the ability to publish from KML directly, using its native styling, would indeed be nice. I've just added a page describing
what to do in case of feature requests, you can have a look at it:

This one would be one of the complex ones, proposals and all, since we'd need to start carrying around features with their own "native" style, something
we don't have in the programming interface right now (SLD is all about separating data from styling, KML is the polar opposite).

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Publishing KML via Geoserver

Smart, Gary               Export License Required - US UTAS

Thank you so much for clarifying that one (…so quickly)!

I was beginning to think I was just stupid J

Re: Publishing KML via Geoserver

Jsantos

Hello Gary, Andrea, all,

I would like to make a comment in this thread since it might be related and affecting the code that I am developing. I loaded shapefiles into PostGis/Geoserver. In layer preview I can see the layers and I can download the KML files as well.

Using these files I am creating vector layers format KML with openlayers and they are not showing up. To avoid CORS, and for testing purposes, I am hosting the KML files in dropbox. When I click the link in drop box, Google earth starts and the layers are there.

I used that exactly same dropbox links in my openlayers application and the layers do not show up. I checked the features of the layers with the following code and it returns “Count after change: 0” in the console, meaning there is no features in the KML files.

wms_bmid_pipes.getSource().on('change', function(evt){

                                                var source = evt.target;

                                                                if (source.getState() === 'ready') {

                                                                                var numFeatures = source.getFeatures().length;

                                                                                console.log("Count after change: " + numFeatures);

                                                                }

                                });

I’ll appreciate any comments you might have.

TIA.

JJ.

Thank you so much for clarifying that one (…so quickly)!

I was beginning to think I was just stupid J

Re: Publishing KML via Geoserver

Larry Theller

A friend of mine was running public FTP for 3D models out of his dropbox folder into his website, and he said they changed their interface and now block that kind of access. So probably you should take the dropbox part out of this equation, assuming mouseclick is being handled differently than coded access.

LT

Thank you so much for clarifying that one (…so quickly)!

I was beginning to think I was just stupid J

Re: Publishing KML via Geoserver

Jsantos

Thank you Larry. I believe you are right. I have solved the problem using a different approach with openlayers.

Life is good.

Have a great week end.

JJ.

A friend of mine was running public FTP for 3D models out of his dropbox folder into his website, and he said they changed their interface and now block that kind of access. So probably you should take the dropbox part out of this equation, assuming mouseclick is being handled differently than coded access.

LT

Thank you so much for clarifying that one (…so quickly)!

I was beginning to think I was just stupid J

Re: Publishing KML via Geoserver

mabus00
GeoWolf,

I've been trying to do this without success.  Simple kml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2" xmlns:gx="http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2 https://developers.google.com/kml/schema/kml22gx.xsd">
        <Placemark>
                <name>test</name>
                        <coordinates>-11310111.782622844,4001386.6167203914 -5283204.9763932675,3883979.3412743607</coordinates>
                </LineString>
        </Placemark>
</kml>

Using GeoServer Importer (same version as GepServer) and I've confirmed Importer is working correctly by both using the interface to import shapefiles and using the REST API to import a shapefile directory - all that works.

So, in importer choosing the file, specifying an existing workspace and an existing shapefile datastore, selecting next and the kml file shows-up in "Recent Imports" as expected. Selecting the import and going to the "Import #", seeing the layer, selecting the layer and choosing import and I get this error:

java.io.IOException: Schema 'example' does not exist.
        at org.geotools.data.store.ContentDataStore.ensureEntry(ContentDataStore.java:621)
        at org.geotools.data.store.ContentDataStore.getFeatureSource(ContentDataStore.java:393)
        at org.geotools.data.store.ContentDataStore.getFeatureSource(ContentDataStore.java:376)
        at org.geotools.data.store.ContentDataStore.ensureFeatureStore(ContentDataStore.java:457)
        at org.geotools.data.store.ContentDataStore.getFeatureWriterAppend(ContentDataStore.java:489)
        at org.geoserver.importer.Importer.loadIntoDataStore(Importer.java:1248)
        at org.geoserver.importer.Importer.doIndirectImport(Importer.java:991)
        at org.geoserver.importer.Importer.run(Importer.java:852)
        at org.geoserver.importer.Importer.run(Importer.java:802)
        at org.geoserver.importer.Importer$5.call(Importer.java:881)
        at org.geoserver.importer.Importer$5.call(Importer.java:875)
        at org.geoserver.importer.job.Job.call(Job.java:16)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Can't find anything anywhere on the internet that tells me what's wrong.  I believe I'm following the right procedure?  I've tried creating a new workspace with a new datastore, a workspace with a new but empty shapefile datastore, and an existing workspace with a new datastore - all no good.

Help?

mabus00