Public money, public code campaign

margherita
Dear members of the OSGeo community,

I haven't seen this circulating already in our mailing list, if I just missed it, apologies.
This is to draw your attention to the following campaign: https://publiccode.eu/
I really would like to see OSGeo among the supporters of the open letter. Like-minded organizations like FOSSGIS, OpenStreetMap, etc have already signed it.

Thanks
Kind regards,

--
Margherita Di Leo

Re: Public money, public code campaign

jody.garnett
You are welcome to add it to the agenda to the the next board meeting (edit wiki page Board_Meeting_2019-07-29) , however we try and leave political influencing to local chapters - as it is more effective to have a local voice when talking to politicians. This looks like exactly the kind of initiative OSGeo Europe was formed to support :)

Note despite the "eu" in the domain name the web page does not appear be limited to Europe. When signing it immediately asks which country you are from (no doubt to direct the support to the appropriate region).
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 05:21, Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear members of the OSGeo community,

I really would like to see OSGeo among the supporters of the open letter. Like-minded organizations like FOSSGIS, OpenStreetMap, etc have already signed it.

Thanks
Kind regards,

--
Margherita Di Leo

Re: Public money, public code campaign

margherita
Hi Jody,

thank you, just added to the agenda. Indeed I think this aims at being a global initiative rather than limited to Europe only. I have seen signatures from countries all over the world, as well as support from international organizations based outside Europe. I  think that OSGeo should support this campaign to remark that supports the principle, as in this phase no political action is entailed. Local chapters as well should sign and, if any, take further political actions when the times come. In fact I have forwarded this also to the Italian local chapter and I invite all the community to do the same to your own local chapters.

Thanks

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 3:01 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jo Cook
Hi All,

Do we think this is something OSGeo should sign globally, or that
individual chapters should decide to sign or not, as appropriate? I'm
all for OSGeo signing it, as it's bigger (obviously) and would
hopefully have more of an impact, but I guess others may have a
different opinion...

Jo

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 2:43 PM Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jody,
>
> thank you, just added to the agenda. Indeed I think this aims at being a global initiative rather than limited to Europe only. I have seen signatures from countries all over the world, as well as support from international organizations based outside Europe. I  think that OSGeo should support this campaign to remark that supports the principle, as in this phase no political action is entailed. Local chapters as well should sign and, if any, take further political actions when the times come. In fact I have forwarded this also to the Italian local chapter and I invite all the community to do the same to your own local chapters.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 3:01 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You are welcome to add it to the agenda to the the next board meeting (edit wiki page Board_Meeting_2019-07-29) , however we try and leave political influencing to local chapters - as it is more effective to have a local voice when talking to politicians. This looks like exactly the kind of initiative OSGeo Europe was formed to support :)
>>
>> Note despite the "eu" in the domain name the web page does not appear be limited to Europe. When signing it immediately asks which country you are from (no doubt to direct the support to the appropriate region).
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>

>> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 at 05:21, Margherita Di Leo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear members of the OSGeo community,

>>> This is to draw your attention to the following campaign: https://publiccode.eu/
>>> I really would like to see OSGeo among the supporters of the open letter. Like-minded organizations like FOSSGIS, OpenStreetMap, etc have already signed it.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Margherita Di Leo

> Margherita Di Leo

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Public money, public code campaign

delawen
Hi,

I think we can do both.

I mean: OSGeo should sign it (from my perspective) because it is
saying the same thing we say all the time: FLOSS is better :)

And at the same time, we can use the European Chapter to talk to the
FSF(E) if this is an european initiative to lobby and if we can join
forces. Or what is the purpose of this (I guess they are not going to
collect signatures and just wait for something to happen). Whatever
the FSFE has in mind, we are probably interested in it.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> products, conferences, events and training*
> *
> *
>
> Astun Technology Ltd, The
> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 1372 744
> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>

> iShare - enterprise geographic
> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
> GeoServer,
> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>
> Helpdesk and customer portal
> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>

> Company registration
> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Cameron Shorter
I believe the test should be:

Is this a local issue? If so, it should be handled at a local level, by the local chapter.

Is this a global issue? Something that is applicable to all local chapters, and that most local chapters are likely to believe in?  If so, then the glocal OSGeo should make a statement. A statement from a large global organisation hold greater weight and has the potential for greater impact. This will make lobbying at the local level more effective as it will help locals can say "this is a global issue, you should be thinking about it in our region too".

Based on that logic, I think OSGeo should sign.

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254