Public domain contribution

sjudeng
Is it possible to make a public domain contribution to GeoTools and GeoServer without a CLA? I'm interested in contributing an Elasticsearch plugin (https://github.com/ngageoint/elasticgeo), which is licensed based on the GeoTools (LGPL) and GeoServer (GPL) components. My contributions to the plugin are public domain. I can reach out to the list again in a separate thread on whether this would be welcome and what would be required from a technical perspective but wanted to start with this question first.

Re: Public domain contribution

jody.garnett
It has been done before in the geotools library. Mostly for us government employees who's work is in the public domain (since it was paid for by the people).

Please understand that public domain is an alternative to copyright - not an alternative to having a license. Indeed copyright is the stick we use to enforce our open source license.

I cannot remember the details now but you basically put your contribution into the public domain and we pick it up (changing the packages and so on becoming contributors and donating it to the geotools project).

So this is really not a lot of fun; do you have a legal requirement to use the public domain? Or are you just looking for an alternative to your employer signing a code contribution agreement?

--
Jody Garnett

On 2 June 2017 at 14:18, sjudeng <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to make a public domain contribution to GeoTools and GeoServer without a CLA? I'm interested in contributing an Elasticsearch plugin (https://github.com/ngageoint/elasticgeo), which is licensed based on the GeoTools (LGPL) and GeoServer (GPL) components. My contributions to the plugin are public domain. I can reach out to the list again in a separate thread on whether this would be welcome and what would be required from a technical perspective but wanted to start with this question first.

Re: Public domain contribution

jody.garnett
You can see the language used here - http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/welcome/license.html

Indeed we tried to make our demo code public domain, but because that was not a license it made it even harder for people to use. We now have our demo code as BSD.

--
Jody Garnett

On 2 June 2017 at 14:22, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jody,

Thanks for your quick response. It does sound like a pain. I'll look into the CLA.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jim Hughes
Hi all,

Separate from the licensing, I believe that ElasticSearch uses Guava 18.  GeoTools and GeoServer uses version 17.

Does ElasticGeo work with Guava 17?

Cheers,

Jim

On 06/02/2017 05:42 PM, sjudeng wrote:
[...]

I am working with sjudeng and the board to see if we can get an OSGeo CLA suitable for governments to sign (as an alternative to the public domain dance).

I am waiting to hear back, and possibly talk to Ben who is good at this stuff, before recommending a course of action.

--
Jody Garnett

On 5 June 2017 at 08:43, Jim Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, so you are using the ElasticSearch REST client then?

Sounds like a reasonable solution.

On 06/13/2017 05:56 PM, sjudeng wrote:
[...]

That's right. Going this route simplified the project configuration since separate jars are no longer needed for different ES versions (e.g. same modules/binaries work with both ES2 and ES5). Also of course it's always good when plugin install instructions don't involve removing core GeoServer jars (e.g. Guava).