Proposing t-rex vector tile server

Pirmin Kalberer
Hi all,

Referring to https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/ticket/1881, I'm proposing
adding t-rex to OSGeo Live.

- What is its name?

t-rex

- What is the home page URL?

https://t-rex.tileserver.ch/

- Which ​OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?

MIT

- What does the application do and how does it add value to the
GeoSpatial? stack of software?

t-rex is a standalone vector tile server supporting PostGIS and GDAL
datasources.

- Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the
standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how
standards are used.

t-rex supports OGC simple feature data (plus ISO curves) and vector tile
output in OGC WMTS compatible grids.

- What language is it written in?

Rust (https://www.rust-lang.org/)

- Which version of the application should be included in the next
OSGeo-Live release?

0.9.0

Stability:

- If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into
production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the
stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to
production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please
mention some of these organisations?

Known users are a national ornithological institute, real estate
companies and public transport organisations. There was user feedback at
FOSS4G conferences from national cadastral and mapping authorities about
their use of t-rex for creating vector tiles.

- ​Open HUB provides metrics to help assess the health of a project. Eg:
http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/metrics.html Could you
please ensure that your project is registered with Open HUB, and Open
HUB has been updated to reference the correct code repository(s) for
your project. What is the Open HUB URL for your project?

https://www.openhub.net/p/t-rex-tileserver

- What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by
mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?

Download statistics:
https://www.somsubhra.com/github-release-stats/?username=t-rex-tileserver&repository=t-rex
Total Downloads: 1,440 -  278 hub.docker.com pulls.
Communication is currently limited to Github and personal feedback to
presentations at conferences.

- What is the size of your developer community?

Main application: 1 main committer, 8 code contributors
Web-UI: 2 main committers
rust-postgis: 2 main committers, 4 code contributors
rust-gdal: 2 main committers, 9 code contributors

- Do you have a bug free, stable release?

Releases since 0.6.0 are considered production ready.

- Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.

There is a built-in test suite which is automatically executed on Travis CI.

- How long has the project has had mature code.

The first public release was 2016-08-17 and version 0.6.0, which is
considered production ready, was released 2016-11-07.

- OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than
libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a
command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an
exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project
Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user interface.)

t-rex is an application with a command line interface and a built-in
web-based user interface.

- We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are
presented at ​FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in OSGeo
Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then please
mention it.

There were t-rex specific FOSS4G presentations and vector tile
presentations covering t-rex among others.

- With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core packagers
do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list for
each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to take
responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's
communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the install
scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each
OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and
Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate releases
of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.

Pirmin Kalberer

- OSGeo-Live is Ubuntu Linux based. Our installation preference is:
         Install from UbuntuGIS or DebianGIS
         Install .deb files from a PPA
         Write a custom install script

Deb Package for Ubuntu is available.

Installation:

- OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in
512 Meg of RAM?

Yes.

- How much disk space will be required to install the application and a
suitable example application?

~13MB for application binary

- We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a
common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example
datasets already installed:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
included in the standard release.

Examples are based on Natural Earth dataset.

- Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
under a ​CC By and a Quickstart available under a ​CC By-SA license.
(You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?

Yes.

- In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
Windows and/or Mac installers?

A Windows installer (MSI) is available. For Mac there is a binary only.

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer - @implgeo
Sourcepole - http://www.sourcepole.com

Re: Proposing t-rex vector tile server

Angelos Tzotsos
Dear Pirmin,

Thank you for the details!
Strong +1 from me to add t-rex to OSGeoLive.

I see a pull request in place already:

Since we are very close to the release of 12.0 version, perhaps we should include t-rex without adding the documentation yet, since our translators will have zero time to translate until release. In any case, for 13.0 we would need a project overview and a quickstart.

Best,
Angelos

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:35 AM Pirmin Kalberer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member

Re: Proposing t-rex vector tile server

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi all,

Just a reminder that Pirmin has already submitted the documentation
needed for 13.0 and the pull request is pending:
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/444

Motion to accept t-rex in OSGeoLive 13.0:
My +1,
Angelos

On 8/13/18 12:30 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:

> [...]
>> ​http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
>> another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
>> appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
>> included in the standard release.
>>
>> Examples are based on Natural Earth dataset.
>>
>> - Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
>> under a ​CC By and a Quickstart available under a ​CC By-SA license.
>> (You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> - In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
>> applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
>> releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
>> Windows and/or Mac installers?
>>
>> A Windows installer (MSI) is available. For Mac there is a binary only.

Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Proposing t-rex vector tile server

Nicolas Roelandt
Hi all,

+1 for me too

Bests,

Nicolas

Le dim. 9 juin 2019 à 19:55, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> [...]

>> ​http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets If
>> another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it
>> appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be
>> included in the standard release.
>>
>> Examples are based on Natural Earth dataset.
>>
>> - Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available
>> under a ​CC By and a Quickstart available under a ​CC By-SA license.
>> (You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> - In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some
>> applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future
>> releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include
>> Windows and/or Mac installers?
>>
>> A Windows installer (MSI) is available. For Mac there is a binary only.

Bien cordialement,

Nicolas Roelandt
mail: [hidden email]
mobile: +33 (0)6 42 40 42 55
twitter: @RoelandtN42

Re: Proposing t-rex vector tile server

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
HI all,

+1

Astrid

Am 11.06.2019 13:57 schrieb Nicolas Roelandt:

> Hi all,
>
> +1 for me too
>
> Bests,
>
> Nicolas
>
> Le dim. 9 juin 2019 à 19:55, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a reminder that Pirmin has already submitted the documentation
>>
>> needed for 13.0 and the pull request is pending:
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/444 [1]
>>
>> Motion to accept t-rex in OSGeoLive 13.0:
>> My +1,
>> Angelos
>>
>> On 8/13/18 12:30 PM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>>> Dear Pirmin,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the details!
>>> Strong +1 from me to add t-rex to OSGeoLive.
>>>
>>> I see a pull request in place already:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/pull/232 [2]
>>>
>>> Since we are very close to the release of 12.0 version, perhaps
>> we should
>>> include t-rex without adding the documentation yet, since our
>> translators
>>> will have zero time to translate until release. In any case, for
>> 13.0 we
>>> would need a project overview and a quickstart.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Angelos
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:35 AM Pirmin Kalberer
> [...]

Cameron Shorter
Sorry for the delayed response. I was just searching my emails, and
can't seem to find anywhere where someone has answered our OSGeoLive
project selection criteria. It would be good to make sure that we have
all our usual criteria ticked off before adding it in.

I suggest that someone make sure these questions are answered before we
include t-rex into OSGeoLive.

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_apply

On 12/6/19 6:01 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:

> HI all,
>
> +1
>
> Astrid
>
> Am 11.06.2019 13:57 schrieb Nicolas Roelandt:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> +1 for me too
>>
>> Bests,
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> Le dim. 9 juin 2019 à 19:55, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just a reminder that Pirmin has already submitted the documentation
>>>
>>> needed for 13.0 and the pull request is pending:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/444 [1]
>>>
>>> Motion to accept t-rex in OSGeoLive 13.0:
> [...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Proposing t-rex vector tile server

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Cameron,
The initial e-mail in this thread has all the answers inline.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:29 PM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I suggest that someone make sure these questions are answered before we
include t-rex into OSGeoLive.

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_apply

On 12/6/19 6:01 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
> HI all,
>
> +1
>
> Astrid
>
> Am 11.06.2019 13:57 schrieb Nicolas Roelandt:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> +1 for me too
>>
>> Bests,
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> Le dim. 9 juin 2019 à 19:55, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just a reminder that Pirmin has already submitted the documentation
>>>
>>> needed for 13.0 and the pull request is pending:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/444 [1]
>>>
>>> Motion to accept t-rex in OSGeoLive 13.0:

Johan Van de Wauw
+1 from me as well

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:54 PM Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I suggest that someone make sure these questions are answered before we
include t-rex into OSGeoLive.

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_apply

On 12/6/19 6:01 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
> HI all,
>
> +1
>
> Astrid
>
> Am 11.06.2019 13:57 schrieb Nicolas Roelandt:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> +1 for me too
>>
>> Bests,
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> Le dim. 9 juin 2019 à 19:55, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just a reminder that Pirmin has already submitted the documentation
>>>
>>> needed for 13.0 and the pull request is pending:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/444 [1]
>>>
>>> Motion to accept t-rex in OSGeoLive 13.0:

Oops, I should have scrolled down and kept reading.

+1 from me.

If not done already, I suggest that t-rex apply to become an OSGeo Community project.

On 13/6/19 10:54 pm, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> [...]

I suggest that someone make sure these questions are answered before we
include t-rex into OSGeoLive.

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Projects/How_to_apply

On 12/6/19 6:01 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
> HI all,
>
> +1
>
> Astrid
>
> Am 11.06.2019 13:57 schrieb Nicolas Roelandt:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> +1 for me too
>>
>> Bests,
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> Le dim. 9 juin 2019 à 19:55, Angelos Tzotsos <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just a reminder that Pirmin has already submitted the documentation
>>>
>>> needed for 13.0 and the pull request is pending:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/pull/444 [1]
>>>
>>> Motion to accept t-rex in OSGeoLive 13.0:

Alex Mandel-2
+1

-Alex