Proposing application: actinia

Markus Neteler-6
Hi all,

we hereby propose "actinia" for inclusion in OSGeo-live:

Describe of the application:

What is its name?
    actinia

What is the home page URL?
Which OSI approved Open Source Licence is used?
  • GPL-3
What does the application do and how does it add value to the GeoSpatial stack of software?
  • actinia is an open source REST API for scalable, distributed, high performance processing of geographical data that uses mainly GRASS GIS for computational tasks. Besides that, also further OSGeo related software and other open source analysis tools can be used.
Does the application make use of OGC standards? Which versions of the standards? Client or server? You may wish to add comments about how standards are used.
  • actinia core offers the possibility to extend it with plugins. The actinia-gdi plugin (https://github.com/mundialis/actinia-gdi/) helps integrating actinia-core in an existing GDI, e.g. to communicate with GeoNetwork.
What language is it written in?
  • Python-3
Which version of the application should be included in the next OSGeo-Live release?
  • The current "latest".

Stability is very important to us on OSGeo-Live. If a new user finds a bug in one application, it will tarnish the reputation of all other OSGeo-Live applications as well. (We pay most attention to the following answers):

If risk adverse organisations have deployed your application into production, it would imply that these organisations have verified the stability of your software. Has the application been rolled out to production into risk (ideally risk adverse) organisations? Please mention some of these organisations?
  • At time a major German telekommunication company is using actinia in a cloud based massive data processing roll-out. At FOSS4G 2019 in Bucharest some related presentations will be given.
  • Besides that, actinia is the backend of the openEO GRASS GIS driver (https://openeo.org/, a H2020 EU project | https://github.com/Open-EO/openeo-grassgis-driver).
What is the Open HUB URL for your project?
What is the size of the user community? You can often answer this by mentioning downloads, or describing a healthy, busy email list?
What is the size of your developer community?
  • Three core devs + some infrequent contributors.
Do you have a bug free, stable release?
Please discuss the level of testing that your project has gone through.
How long has the project has had mature code.
OSGeo-Live is targeted at applications that people can use rather than libraries. Does the application have a user interface (possibly a command line interface) that a user can interact with? (We do make an exception for Incubated OSGeo Libraries, and will include Project Overviews for these libraries, even if they don't have a user interface.)
We give preference to OSGeo Incubated Projects, or Projects which are presented at FOSS4G conferences. If your project is involved in OSGeo Incubation, or has been selected to be presented at FOSS4G, then please mention it.
With around 50 applications installed on OSGeo-Live, us core packagers do not have the time to liaise with every single project email list for each OSGeo-Live release. So we require a volunteer (or two) to take responsibility for liaising between OSGeo-Live and the project's communities. This volunteer will be responsible for ensuring the install scripts and English documentation are updated by someone for each OSGeo-Live release. Also test that the installed application and Quickstart documentation works as expected on release candidate releases of OSGeo-Live. Who will act as the project's liaison person.
  • Markus Neteler
Can you please discuss how your application will be installed:
OSGeo-Live is memory and disk constrained. Can the application run in 512 Meg of RAM?
  • No problem.
How much disk space will be required to install the application and a suitable example application?
  • The Python scripts are consuming 17MB. The backend GRASS GIS + GDAL + dependencies are already present on OSGeo-live.
We aim to reduce disk space by having all applications make use of a common dataset. We encourage applications to make use of the example datasets already installed:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Add_Project#Example_Datasets
If another dataset would be more appropriate, please discuss here. Is it appropriate, to remove existing demo datasets which may already be included in the standard release.
  • The North Carolina dataset is fine.
Each OSGeo-Live application requires a Project Overview available under a CC By and a Quickstart available under a CC By-SA license. (You may release under a second license as well). Will you produce this?
In past releases, we have included Windows and Mac installers for some applications. It is likely we won't have space for these in future releases. However, if there is room, would you be wishing to include Windows and/or Mac installers?
  • No thanks, not needed here.

best regards,

Markus

(on behalf of the actinia team)

--
Markus Neteler
https://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

Re: Proposing application: actinia

Angelos Tzotsos
Thank you Marcus for your e-mail.
Actinia seems to be a great fit to the OSGeoLive disk.
Here is my +1 to include Actinia.
I have already made some comments on what needs to be changed in the installer and I am willing to help with the packaging tasks.

Best regards,
Angelos

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:08 AM Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
OSGeo Charter Member

Re: Proposing application: actinia

Cameron Shorter

+0 Cameron

I don't know anything about Actinia beyond this application form, however I believe in supporting it based on:

1. All questions in the application address OSGeoLive goals appropriately.

2. I hold a lot of faith in Markus personally. He is a long standing OSGeo community leader, who demonstrates by example what is required to make a successful open source project. Having him stand behind the project gives me a lot of confidence.

On 10/7/19 6:44 pm, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Proposing application: actinia

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
+1 to include actinia.

The PR from Markus with the tutorial give a nice introductionin what is
possible

https://github.com/neteler/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/actinia_quickstart/doc/quickstart/actinia_quickstart.rst

Astrid