Proposed budget expenditures...

Steve Lime-2
Hi all: A few milestones were reached this spring that were identified as budget (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/OSGeo-2020-Budget)  items, specifically $500 each for the release managers for MapCache 1.10 and MapServer 7.6. While I'm sure that doesn't come close to covering the amount of time Jerome and Jeff put in, it's still something.

I'd also like to propose allocating another $300 for Jeff's handling of the PHP/MapScript security response - so from the emergency operations line item.

That would leave us with $700 in our pre-allocated OSGeo 2020 budget for the second half of the year.

Thoughts?

--Steve

Re: Proposed budget expenditures...

jmckenna
Administrator
My honest thoughts when thinking on the MapServer part is to put the
amount into a 'release manager' role for 2020, and that would include
the 8.0 release.  (thinking along the lines of Daniel's great message
from 2020-01-10 where the release manager helps with the initial release
plus point/bugfix releases)  So I guess my thinking is that the effort
towards the 7.6.0 release helps us build towards the big 8.0 release.
(the part in my head that I haven't said here yet out loud is that I
also plan/hope to fill the 8.0 release manager role as well, as I see
all of the team effort the past month or year spent as actually working
towards the 8.0 release).

My explanation is not as clear or concise as Daniel's ha.

-jeff

On 2020-05-22 11:48 a.m., Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi all: A few milestones were reached this spring that were identified
> as budget
> (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/OSGeo-2020-Budget)  items,
> specifically $500 each for the release managers for MapCache 1.10 and
> MapServer 7.6. While I'm sure that doesn't come close to covering the
> amount of time Jerome and Jeff put in, it's still something.
>
> I'd also like to propose allocating another $300 for Jeff's handling of
> the PHP/MapScript security response - so from the emergency operations
> line item.
>
> That would leave us with $700 in our pre-allocated OSGeo 2020 budget for
> the second half of the year.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --Steve

Re: Proposed budget expenditures...

jmckenna
Administrator
No changes to the funding proposal, other than combining it into one for
2020.   I like deadlines too, but since the amount is so small let's
combine it into one and handle that later, is my personal thinking.  -jeff

On 2020-05-22 1:06 p.m., Steve Lime wrote:

> I'd be happy to see you take on the 8.0 role, you did a great job with
> 7.6. That said, are you proposing something different from a funding
> standpoint? I do think milestones are the easiest way to carve things
> up, I mean you have to have some way to know when something is done.
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:57 AM Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     My honest thoughts when thinking on the MapServer part is to put the
>     amount into a 'release manager' role for 2020, and that would include
>     the 8.0 release.  (thinking along the lines of Daniel's great message
>     from 2020-01-10 where the release manager helps with the initial
>     release
>     plus point/bugfix releases)  So I guess my thinking is that the effort
>     towards the 7.6.0 release helps us build towards the big 8.0 release.
>     (the part in my head that I haven't said here yet out loud is that I
>     also plan/hope to fill the 8.0 release manager role as well, as I see
>     all of the team effort the past month or year spent as actually working
>     towards the 8.0 release).
>
>     My explanation is not as clear or concise as Daniel's ha.
>
>     -jeff
>

>     On 2020-05-22 11:48 a.m., Steve Lime wrote:
>      > Hi all: A few milestones were reached this spring that were
>     identified
>      > as budget
>      >
>     (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/OSGeo-2020-Budget)  items,
>      > specifically $500 each for the release managers for MapCache 1.10
>     and
>      > MapServer 7.6. While I'm sure that doesn't come close to covering
>     the
>      > amount of time Jerome and Jeff put in, it's still something.
>      >
>      > I'd also like to propose allocating another $300 for Jeff's
>     handling of
>      > the PHP/MapScript security response - so from the emergency
>     operations
>      > line item.
>      >
>      > That would leave us with $700 in our pre-allocated OSGeo 2020
>     budget for
>      > the second half of the year.
>      >
>      > Thoughts?
>      >
>      > --Steve
>      >

Re: Proposed budget expenditures...

jbo-ads-2

Though I find that the principle of funding release managers is great
(and I vote for keeping it), from my personal position It wouldn't be
honest to accept it. I have the chance that my employer and my client
value the work I do on MapCache and MapServer and already pay me for
doing it, including time and effort on releases.

Therefore I would be happy, if this is possible, to give back this
allocation and increase the "travel stipends" item with it. I am certain
that people will be glad to code near the Acropolis as soon as things
calm down with respect to covid.

Jérome.

Le 22/05/2020 à 16:48, Steve Lime a écrit :

> Hi all: A few milestones were reached this spring that were identified
> as budget
> (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/OSGeo-2020-Budget)  items,
> specifically $500 each for the release managers for MapCache 1.10 and
> MapServer 7.6. While I'm sure that doesn't come close to covering the
> amount of time Jerome and Jeff put in, it's still something.
>
> I'd also like to propose allocating another $300 for Jeff's handling
> of the PHP/MapScript security response - so from the emergency
> operations line item.
>
> That would leave us with $700 in our pre-allocated OSGeo 2020 budget
> for the second half of the year.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --Steve

Re: Proposed budget expenditures...

Seth G-2
Hi Steve,

There should have been a few of us meeting up tomorrow in Athens to discuss plans for the 8.0 release. I see the beaches are open in Greece if not code sprints!
I'm not sure if there are any plans to reconvene the sprint later in the year.

Do you think v8.0 will be ready this year? Looking at https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Release-Plan the OGC Features API would be one of the main new features, but I guess this would require funding from various sources. Perhaps there is enough budget to fund an RFC?

If not +1 for supporting new patch releases of MapServer/MapCache.

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika

On Fri, May 22, 2020, at 4:48 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
Hi all: A few milestones were reached this spring that were identified as budget (https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/OSGeo-2020-Budget)  items, specifically $500 each for the release managers for MapCache 1.10 and MapServer 7.6. While I'm sure that doesn't come close to covering the amount of time Jerome and Jeff put in, it's still something.

I'd also like to propose allocating another $300 for Jeff's handling of the PHP/MapScript security response - so from the emergency operations line item.

That would leave us with $700 in our pre-allocated OSGeo 2020 budget for the second half of the year.

Thoughts?

--Steve

Re: Proposed budget expenditures...

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi all,

The sprint will be rescheduled and I will soon make a poll about the new dates.

Cheers,
Angelos

On 5/24/20 12:44 AM, Seth G wrote:
[...]

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD