Proposal for new features in ftools (geometry) - part 2

Proposal for new features in ftools (geometry) - part 2

Frederic Jacon

Dear all,

We would like to have your feedbacks on our proposition to add new functionnalities in ftools.

These functions come from the 'SELECTPLUSFR' extensions, developed by Christophe MASSE (french Ministry of Ecology) and available here :

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/selectplus/

SELECTPLUSFR includes functionalities to create circles or rectangles based on layers attributes : see attached image

This functionalities could be added to the Geometry tools.

If this proposal gets your attention and interest, we could be able to work on it for the version after 2.4.

All feedbacks welcome !

Thanks !

create_on_attributes_smaller.png (76K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposal for new features in ftools (geometry) - part 2

Tim Sutton-4

Hi Frédéric

Having read your proposals, they all look great to me. If you are able to, what about more generally taking over maintainership of ftools?

Also would comment that it would be great if these functions could be provided as processing plugins too.

Regards

Tim

Sent from my mobile

On 23 May 2014 5:47 PM, "Frédéric Jacon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

We would like to have your feedbacks on our proposition to add new functionnalities in ftools.

These functions come from the 'SELECTPLUSFR' extensions, developed by Christophe MASSE (french Ministry of Ecology) and available here :

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/selectplus/

SELECTPLUSFR includes functionalities to create circles or rectangles based on layers attributes : see attached image

This functionalities could be added to the Geometry tools.

If this proposal gets your attention and interest, we could be able to work on it for the version after 2.4.

All feedbacks welcome !

Thanks !

Re: Proposal for new features in ftools (geometry) - part 2

Frederic Jacon
Hi Tim,

We, at Camptocamp, would surely be willing to take over maintainership of ftools. So thanks for suggesting this.

Not being familiar with all the community processes, I am wondering what would be the next step. Should we have approval form the PSC ?

[...]

Frédéric Jacon
Responsable d'agence - Chef de projets
Camptocamp France
Savoie Technolac
BP 352
48 avenue du Lac du Bourget
73372 Le Bourget du Lac, Cedex
www.camptocamp.com

+33 614 71 28 24 (mobile)
+33 479 26 57 97 (direct France)
+41 21 619 10 44 (direct Suisse)
+33 479 44 44 94 (standard)
+33 479 70 15 81 (fax)

Re: Proposal for new features in ftools (geometry) - part 2

Tim Sutton-4
Greetings Frédéric

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Frédéric Jacon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

We, at Camptocamp, would surely be willing to take over maintainership of ftools. So thanks for suggesting this.

Not being familiar with all the community processes, I am wondering what would be the next step. Should we have approval form the PSC ?

This would be awesome! To start with you and your team could probably begin by making a Pull Requests with fixes (and after feature freeze new features etc.). Parallel to that I can make a motion to the PSC proposing commit rights for one of your team with the understanding that they will abide by our community guidelines etc. You would need to collaborate closely with Victor Olaya too ensure that fTools can be leveraged effectively by the processing framework.

Regards

Tim

--
Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net