Quantcast

Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Markus Neteler
(just submitted to OSGeo-Discuss)

I would like to launch the idea of an "OSGeo Cartographic Library" to
share concepts, source code and regression tests:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library

GRASS, QGIS and others are in the need of own map printing tools
for high quality output but these projects should not start from scratch.
There is a wealth of underlying code already in Mapserver, Mapguide etc
which could be re-used in the terms of their respective licenses and
certainly of programming language compatibility.

Please hack the wiki page and post your ideas.

Markus

Re: Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Dylan Beaudette-2
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (just submitted to OSGeo-Discuss)
>
>  I would like to launch the idea of an "OSGeo Cartographic Library" to
>  share concepts, source code and regression tests:
>
>  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library
>
>  GRASS, QGIS and others are in the need of own map printing tools
>  for high quality output but these projects should not start from scratch.
>  There is a wealth of underlying code already in Mapserver, Mapguide etc
>  which could be re-used in the terms of their respective licenses and
>  certainly of programming language compatibility.
>
>  Please hack the wiki page and post your ideas.
>
>  Markus

Thanks for starting this Markus -- I was just thinking about
formalizing some GRASS-GMT integration with the new python bindings
available in both packages. I will forward this information to the GMT
folks and see if they are interested.

Dylan

Re: Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Glynn Clements

Markus Neteler wrote:

> (just submitted to OSGeo-Discuss)
>
> I would like to launch the idea of an "OSGeo Cartographic Library" to
> share concepts, source code and regression tests:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library
>
> GRASS, QGIS and others are in the need of own map printing tools
> for high quality output but these projects should not start from scratch.
> There is a wealth of underlying code already in Mapserver, Mapguide etc
> which could be re-used in the terms of their respective licenses and
> certainly of programming language compatibility.
>
> Please hack the wiki page and post your ideas.

Personally, I don't think it's practical to design such a large and
complex system at a theoretical level.

It makes more sense to start by writing what you need, structuring the
code in such a way as to make it re-usable (i.e. avoid tying it to any
particular architecture).

When you find existing code which performs a useful task, try to use
it. This will tell you whether it actually managed to meet the
re-usability critieria. If it didn't, you have concrete information
about how to improve it.

GRASS' display architecture is a prime example.

In theory, you have an abstract interface which allows you to provide
multiple different back-ends. In practice, writing a PostScript driver
demonstrates several places where the architecture isn't actually as
flexible as it needs to be, and how the interface needs to change in
order to accomodate vector back-ends.

--
Glynn Clements <[hidden email]>

Re: Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Benjamin Ducke-2
Dear all,

I am not sure in how far this directly relates to the OSGeo Cartographic
Library, but I have a feeling it does somehow:

At my company, we are currently trying to phase out all closed source
GIS tools that could potentially create vendor lock-ins and thus
result in unpredictable financial risks and loss of flexibility.

With the in-house workflow soon to be based on open standards and
protocols plus XML files for complex GIS projects, we still face
the problem of ESRI map documents (MXD format) project files.
Sometimes clients want to get MXD project files along with the
geodata and sometimes legal requirements force us to renew project
application with maps based on the same MXD layouts as previous
hand-ins.

Unfortunately, MXD is a closed, binary format and ESRI have removed
support for export/import of old ASCII ArcView project files from
ArcMap, managing to create a sweet lock-in trap.

I could not find a file format specification for MXD and neither
any open source project that tries to reverse-engineer it.

So my question is:

How feasible do you think it would be to create open standards for

a) GIS projects (layer names, data sources, grouping)
b) layer style files (opacity, categories, colour schemes)
c) feature labels (fonts, halos, label coords, rotation and size)

?

Once such standards have been established and widely adopted,
ESRI and others might be forced to implement them in their
products, much like WMS, WFS and PostGIS support.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> (just submitted to OSGeo-Discuss)
>>
>> I would like to launch the idea of an "OSGeo Cartographic Library" to
>> share concepts, source code and regression tests:
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library
>>
>> GRASS, QGIS and others are in the need of own map printing tools
>> for high quality output but these projects should not start from scratch.
>> There is a wealth of underlying code already in Mapserver, Mapguide etc
>> which could be re-used in the terms of their respective licenses and
>> certainly of programming language compatibility.
>>
>> Please hack the wiki page and post your ideas.

Re: Proposal: OSGeo Cartographic Library

Paolo Cavallini
[hidden email] ha scritto:

> How feasible do you think it would be to create open standards for
>
> a) GIS projects (layer names, data sources, grouping)
> b) layer style files (opacity, categories, colour schemes)
> c) feature labels (fonts, halos, label coords, rotation and size)

Partial response: SLD?
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sld
pc
--