Promoting OSGeo projects on The MapScaping Podcast

dan

Promoting OSGeo projects on The MapScaping Podcast

dan

Hi OSGeo Marketing List

My name is Daniel O’Donohue, I am a big fan and user of open source geospatial software. I am also the host of The MapScaping Podcast which is a weekly podcast for the geospatial community.

I would like to work with you to increase the awareness of open source geospatial software. I have published episodes about Postgres/ Postgis, QGIS, QField and Input, R, and geospatial python which my audience has responded well to. I would really like to promote and introduce people to other open-source geospatial tools but producing and publishing podcasts is not free and finding qualified guests to talk about things like GeoNode and Geoserver is not easy.

Before I go into more detail about how we might be able to work together, here is a brief introduction to the podcast.

The MapScaping Podcast is a podcast created for the geospatial community. I publish a mixture of technical educational episodes focusing on specific concepts and thought leadership episodes that look at certain aspects of the geospatial industry.

Our audience consists of business owners and geospatial professionals. 65% of our audience is based in North America with the bulk of the remaining 35% being based in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and Germany.

The average episode is downloaded between 1700 and 2100 times in the first week after publication and will be downloaded an estimated 4000 - 5000 times in the first. These numbers are based on organic distribution and do not take into account any paid marketing efforts on our part. We work hard to increase the reach of the podcast and I am confident we can dramatically increase these numbers in the coming months but this is what the numbers look like today.

For every episode, we produce we also create a 2000 - 2500 word SEO optimized article and spend a week promoting the episode across our various channels. MapScaping has 31,400 followers on Twitter and 54,000 on Facebook. Our email list is just over 2000.

How we might be able to work together

Each podcast episode and accompanying article costs $500 USD to produce and promote.

So my pitch to you is this:

  • We split the cost, $250 each. OSGeo helps me find a qualified guest to talk about one of OSgeo’s projects and I produce and promote the podcast episode.

  • OSGeo helps promote the podcast episode to their audience/list

If this is something that you might want to be involved with I would love to hear from you. Also happy to go into more detail and answer any questions you might have.

Hope you are all safe and well. This is my first time posting to the list so apologies if I have broken in rules, that was not my intention!

Cheers

Daniel

Re: Promoting OSGeo projects on The MapScaping Podcast

jody.garnett
Welcome Daniel, and thanks for introducing yourself.

It is an interesting idea, we can certainly help make introductions, and some of the projects may be available to take part.

Do you have a link to your episodes on PostGIS/QGIS/QField/R? Can I ask those were based on your own experience, or if you had someone already available to interview?
--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 00:52, Daniel O'Donohue <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Daniel,

thanks for reaching out to OSGeo.

I really like your podcasts and it would be great if some of our
projects could present themselves.

Here is a link to the episodes. https://mapscaping.podbean.com/

@MarketingTeam - we should discuss Daniels suggestion at our next
meeting.

Astrid

Am 19.05.2020 10:02 schrieb Jody Garnett:

> [...]
>> produce and promote.
>>
>> So my pitch to you is this:
>>
>> *
>>
>> We split the cost, $250 each. OSGeo helps me find a qualified guest
>> to talk about one of OSgeo’s projects and I produce and promote
>> the podcast episode.
>> *
>>
>> OSGeo helps promote the podcast episode to their audience/list
>>
>> If this is something that you might want to be involved with I would
>> love to hear from you. Also happy to go into more detail and answer
>> any questions you might have.
>>
>> Hope you are all safe and well. This is my first time posting to the
>> list so apologies if I have broken in rules, that was not my
>> intention!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Daniel

Re: Promoting OSGeo projects on The MapScaping Podcast

Enock Seth Nyamador-2
Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much, I really follow and enjoy this podcast too.

@Astrid since this Friday is the last Friday in May, It is a good time to connect and discuss, I have added it to the agenda here [1], we can add others.

Best,

-Enock