Promote proj 4.9.2RC1 to release

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Promote proj 4.9.2RC1 to release

Howard Butler-3
All,

I would like to motion to promote the proj 4.9.2 release candidate to final release. I'll start with +1

Howard

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Howard Butler <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released
> Date: September 8, 2015 at 12:06:43 PM CDT
> To: "PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions" <[hidden email]>
>
> All,
>
> Proj.4 4.9.2 RC1 is now available for testing. Please download it from
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz (md5 at http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz.md5)
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip (md5 at http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip.md5)
>
> This release includes the fix for missing proj_def.dat, improvements in the geodesic library from Charles Karney, a fix of setlocale in threading situations by Even Rouault, and cleanups of a number of warnings by Elliott Sales de Andrade. See the ChangeLog for more information. https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/ChangeLog
>
> Assuming no major issues are found that warrants another release candidate, I will promote RC1 to a final release Thursday.
>
> Howard

_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promote proj 4.9.2RC1 to release

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 10-09-15 15:23, Howard Butler wrote:
> I would like to motion to promote the proj 4.9.2 release candidate to final release.

I presume the RC1 in the title is a typo and RC2 is actually meant to be
promoted.

The issues identified in RC1 and fixed in RC2 make the former not a
suitable candidate for promotion to final, RC2 is looking good though.

I support promotion of RC2, assuming no new issues are reported.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1
_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promote proj 4.9.2RC1 to release

Howard Butler-3
Sorry for the confusion. The motion is indeed for 4.9.2RC2.

Howard

> On Sep 10, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 10-09-15 15:23, Howard Butler wrote:
>> I would like to motion to promote the proj 4.9.2 release candidate to final release.
>
> I presume the RC1 in the title is a typo and RC2 is actually meant to be
> promoted.
>
> The issues identified in RC1 and fixed in RC2 make the former not a
> suitable candidate for promotion to final, RC2 is looking good though.
>
> I support promotion of RC2, assuming no new issues are reported.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas
>
> --
> GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
> Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1
> _______________________________________________
> MetaCRS mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs

_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Howard Butler-3
Such is the software release process...

Motion: I would like to motion to promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to final.

I'll start with +1

Howard
_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Frank Warmerdam
+1 Frank

Good work Howard

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Such is the software release process...
>
> Motion: I would like to motion to promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to final.
>
> I'll start with +1
>
> Howard
> _______________________________________________
> MetaCRS mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs



--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Software Developer
_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promote proj 4.9.2RC1 to release

CsMap Contractor
In reply to this post by Howard Butler-3
+0

--
Norm Olsen
7931 S Broadway, PMB 102
Littleton, CO  80122-2710
303-263-4995
[hidden email]


-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Howard Butler
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:24 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [MetaCRS] Promote proj 4.9.2RC1 to release

All,

I would like to motion to promote the proj 4.9.2 release candidate to final
release. I'll start with +1

Howard

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Howard Butler <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released
> Date: September 8, 2015 at 12:06:43 PM CDT
> To: "PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions" <[hidden email]>
>
> All,
>
> Proj.4 4.9.2 RC1 is now available for testing. Please download it from
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz (md5 at
http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz.md5)
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip (md5 at
http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip.md5)
>
> This release includes the fix for missing proj_def.dat, improvements in
the geodesic library from Charles Karney, a fix of setlocale in threading
situations by Even Rouault, and cleanups of a number of warnings by Elliott
Sales de Andrade. See the ChangeLog for more information.
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/ChangeLog
>
> Assuming no major issues are found that warrants another release
candidate, I will promote RC1 to a final release Thursday.
>
> Howard

_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs

_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Howard Butler-3
In reply to this post by Frank Warmerdam
It's my opinion that the MetaCRS release process is broken. The individual projects should be responsible for their own releases. CS-Map folks voting on proj4 releases and proj4 folks voting on CS-Map releases doesn't make much sense. How are they to know if it is a good or bad release?

proj.4 has had three release candidates this cycle, and five the cycle before. My solution to proj4's moribund release situation has been to just start making lots of them. For a project such as proj4, which is now in very long term maintenance mode, I don't know what else we can do. It seems that stability of a project such as proj4 is measured by packaging maintainers more than users. Most proj4 users don't even know they're using it, and it's hidden from them by GDAL or PostGIS or whatever.

Process, such as stepping up to MetaCRS to authorize a release, is drag on an already dragged out situation. Promoting these release candidates up to an actual release is now confusing to proj4 users. Is Howard in charge? When is a RC declared final? By Howard, or by MetaCRS? Who's MetaCRS? And so on.

Is there support for authorizing the individual projects to manage their own release cycles? What purpose does it serve to have MetaCRS committee members blessing releases?

Howard



> On Sep 12, 2015, at 12:49 AM, Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 Frank
>
> Good work Howard
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:50 PM, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Such is the software release process...
>>
>> Motion: I would like to motion to promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to final.
>>
>> I'll start with +1
>>
>> Howard
>> _______________________________________________
>> MetaCRS mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs
>
>
>
> --
> ---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
> I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
> light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
> and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Software Developer

_______________________________________________
MetaCRS mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/metacrs