Projection

sarel
Hi

Has anyone had to re-project layer files with different projections in Quantum 1.0.2 ?

I have two layers,
1 - Geographic projected layer (WGS84) and an
2 - Unknown layer (meters is visible) so need to project to WGS/UTM-36S

After loading the two layers it was expected not to overlay. I changed the CRS of the unknown projection layer to WGS/UTM-36S. Nothing happened , the layer still does not overlay. I had to save the layer file with the new CRS and restart the application, reload the new layer (new CRS) with the geographic project layer to achieve the require result.

Is this standard operating procedures or should the layers "refresh" in the same session after altering the CRS?

Regards
Sarel

--
http://sarelgis.blogspot.com/

Re: Projection

Giovanni Manghi
Hi,
did you checked

"enable on the fly CRS transformation" in the properties of your
project?

-- Giovanni --

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 20:16 +0200, Sarel Coetzer wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone had to re-project layer files with different projections in
> Quantum 1.0.2 ?
>
> I have two layers,
> 1 - Geographic projected layer (WGS84) and an
> 2 - Unknown layer (meters is visible) so need to project to
> WGS/UTM-36S
>
> After loading the two layers it was expected not to overlay. I changed
> the CRS of the unknown projection layer to WGS/UTM-36S. Nothing
> happened , the layer still does not overlay. I had to save the layer
> file with the new CRS and restart the application, reload the new
> layer (new CRS) with the geographic project layer to achieve the
> require result.
>
> Is this standard operating procedures or should the layers "refresh"
> in the same session after altering the CRS?
>

> Regards
> Sarel
>
> --
> http://sarelgis.blogspot.com/

Re: Projection

sarel
Hi Giovanni

Yes I have tried the OTF facility and still the layers wont overlay. The issue is that changes can be made to the CRS but it does not take effect until the layer file is saved with the new CRS values and is required to be reloaded in a new session. Surely the layers should refresh with the newly selected CRS and display in the correct location unless I am missing something fundamentally.

Regards
Sarel

.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Giovanni Manghi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
did you checked

"enable on the fly CRS transformation" in the properties of your
project?

-- Giovanni --

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 20:16 +0200, Sarel Coetzer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone had to re-project layer files with different projections in
> Quantum 1.0.2 ?
>
> I have two layers,
> 1 - Geographic projected layer (WGS84) and an
> 2 - Unknown layer (meters is visible) so need to project to
> WGS/UTM-36S
>
> After loading the two layers it was expected not to overlay. I changed
> the CRS of the unknown projection layer to WGS/UTM-36S. Nothing
> happened , the layer still does not overlay. I had to save the layer
> file with the new CRS and restart the application, reload the new
> layer (new CRS) with the geographic project layer to achieve the
> require result.
>
> Is this standard operating procedures or should the layers "refresh"
> in the same session after altering the CRS?
>

> Regards
> Sarel
>
> --
> http://sarelgis.blogspot.com/

http://sarelgis.blogspot.com/

Re: Projection

sarel
Hi Magnus

I am using shapefiles. I had to save the shapefile with the new CRS to get the projection correct and reload.

Sarel

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Magnus Homann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sarel Coetzer skrev:

Hi Giovanni

Yes I have tried the OTF facility and still the layers wont overlay. The issue is that changes can be made to the CRS but it does not take effect until the layer file is saved with the new CRS values and is required to be reloaded in a new session. Surely the layers should refresh with the newly selected CRS and display in the correct location unless I am missing something fundamentally.

Yes, it should change immediately.

Is it raster or vector layer? Rasters won't reproject.

Magnus

--
http://sarelgis.blogspot.com/

Re: Projection

Carson Farmer
Sarel,

You certainly shouldn't have to save the shapefile to get the correct projection... did you try refreshing the mapcanvas after enabling on the fly projection (though this shouldn't be required either)?

Carson

Sarel Coetzer skrev:

Hi Giovanni

Yes I have tried the OTF facility and still the layers wont overlay. The issue is that changes can be made to the CRS but it does not take effect until the layer file is saved with the new CRS values and is required to be reloaded in a new session. Surely the layers should refresh with the newly selected CRS and display in the correct location unless I am missing something fundamentally.

Yes, it should change immediately.

Is it raster or vector layer? Rasters won't reproject.

Magnus

--
http://sarelgis.blogspot.com/

Carson Farmer
National Centre for Geocomputation
John Hume Building,
National University of Ireland, Maynooth,
Maynooth,
Co. Kildare,
Ireland.
www.carsonfarmer.com