Proj4J Status

Nicholas Knize
I noticed there hasn't been a commit in 14 months. Is this project still maintained? I recently migrated the svn codebase to git with git svn. Since I'm not the project owner I don't want to step on any toes, but I see more collaboration on Github than svn.  Just checking to see what the state is on this project and what the recommendation is for continuing to move this forward.

- Nick

Re: Proj4J Status

Martin Davis-3
Not dead, just moving very slooowly.

Feel free to submit patches if you see something that needs to be addressed.  (I know there are some bug fixes in PROJ.4 that could be ported over...)

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
I noticed there hasn't been a commit in 14 months. Is this project still maintained? I recently migrated the svn codebase to git with git svn. Since I'm not the project owner I don't want to step on any toes, but I see more collaboration on Github than svn.  Just checking to see what the state is on this project and what the recommendation is for continuing to move this forward.

- Nick

Re: Proj4J Status

Martin Davis-3
I'm not sure what the feeling is at OSGeo about moving away from their hosted SVN.  Can anyone comment on this?

How do commit rights to the GitHub repo work?

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As much control as you want.  Proj4js (http://trac.osgeo.org/proj4js/) is already on GitHub so there's precedence.  You can also have a look at our Elasticsearch github for an example of tighter control over community submitted PRs (see: https://github.com/karmi/test-contributor-agreement/pull/21)

I created a Proj4J organization (https://github.com/Proj4J) to manage permissions and membership of the code base. I can transfer ownership of that organization (and reduce my level to member) at anytime if this is a route the community is interested in taking.

IMHO there will be more community involvement with GitHub and could breathe some life back into the codebase.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Martin Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Frank Warmerdam
Folks,

I have no problem with projects moving to github when the projects want to.

In the case of Proj4J it seems like a MetaCRS "organization" might be desirable to represent the way the project governance is setup now - similar to the shared commiter list on svn for MetaCRS sub-projects.

In this case if Martin is favorable, I'd suggest he raise a motion MetaCRS about the formal migration of the master repo for Proj4J.

Best regards,
Frank

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicholas,

OK, it seems we can have teams within the osgeo organization, so I'd suggest we locate proj4j under osgeo, and setup a MetaCRS team with the same commiters as in the svn group.  If Martin is supportive, then I believe we should make a motion to migrate Proj4J to github.com from svn within the OSGeo organization and with a "MetaCRS" committer team.

Best regards,
Frank

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Nicholas Knize <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]

Re: Proj4J Status

Nicholas Knize
+1

I'd also like to petition the PSC to be added to the Proj4J committer team to help keep the contribution active.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Frank Warmerdam <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1 for this.

Also +1 for the motion to move to Github - just have been too busy to put together the motion.  Will try and do this soon, or someone else can do this.