Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

Howard Butler-3
All,

Proj.4 4.9.2 RC1 is now available for testing. Please download it from

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz (md5 at http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz.md5)

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip (md5 at http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip.md5)

This release includes the fix for missing proj_def.dat, improvements in the geodesic library from Charles Karney, a fix of setlocale in threading situations by Even Rouault, and cleanups of a number of warnings by Elliott Sales de Andrade. See the ChangeLog for more information. https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/ChangeLog

Assuming no major issues are found that warrants another release candidate, I will promote RC1 to a final release Thursday.

Howard

Re: Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

Sisyphus

Re: Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

Roger Bivand
Howard Butler <howard <at> hobu.co> writes:

> All,
>
> Proj.4 4.9.2 RC1 is now available for testing. Please download it from
>
> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz (md5 at
http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.tar.gz.md5)

> http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip (md5 at
http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.2RC1.zip.md5)

Thanks very much!

I've run checks (Fedora 22, current gcc) on this tarball (passes fine) rgdal
itself built against 4.9.2), and on the > 100 packages that declare
dependence (depend, links to, imports, suggests) on rgdal (and use PROJ
through rgdal - here 4.9.2). From a cursory reading of 8 failures, none seem
to be related to PROJ (things like not setting random number seeds, missing
LaTeX packages, etc). Today I'll run the same checks on the root sp package
in the same format and report back.

Roger

PS. A user reports that MacPorts 4.9.1 is affected by the absence of
proj_def.dat - the current rgdal shows more verbose messages. The user
patched it manually:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-September/023395.html

> This release includes the fix for missing proj_def.dat, improvements in
the geodesic library from
> Charles Karney, a fix of setlocale in threading situations by Even
Rouault, and cleanups of a number of
> warnings by Elliott Sales de Andrade. See the ChangeLog for more
information. https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/blob/master/ChangeLog

> Assuming no major issues are found that warrants another release
candidate, I will promote RC1 to a final
> release Thursday.
>
> Howard

Roger Bivand
NHH Norwegian School of Economics, Bergen, Norway

Re: Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

Howard Butler-3

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 10:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> It's actually a lot easier and quicker to just do the hacks and say
> nothing - as opposed to taking the time to send emails about the issue.
> It would therefore be appreciated if either:
> a) a fix is implemented;
> or
> b) a decision is taken to never implement a fix.
>
> Either way, I would then be freed of the task of nagging about it :-)

My opinion is still that we rename it. This just didn't get done as part of this release cycle. Please make a pull request that renames it to satisfy your Windows situation, and it will trigger a Travis build on linux for confirmation.

Howard

Re: Proj 4.9.2 RC1 Released

Roger Bivand
Roger Bivand <roger.bivand <at> nhh.no> writes:

> Howard Butler <howard <at> hobu.co> writes:
>

> > All,
> >
> > Proj.4 4.9.2 RC1 is now available for testing. Please download it from

> Today I'll run the same checks on the root sp package
> in the same format and report back.

None of the 8 failures in the rgdal checks were related to PROJ, nor were
any of the few others found in checking sp related to PROJ either (most were
the same as the rgdal issues, they were general issues in the affected
packages). So the 4.9.2 RC is good to go for R.

Roger

> Roger

> > Assuming no major issues are found that warrants another release
> candidate, I will promote RC1 to a final
> > release Thursday.
> >
> > Howard

Roger Bivand
NHH Norwegian School of Economics, Bergen, Norway

Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Howard Butler-3
Such is the software release process...

Motion: I would like to motion to promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to final.

I'll start with +1

Howard

Re: Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Greg Troxel

Howard Butler <[hidden email]> writes:

> Such is the software release process...
>
> Motion: I would like to motion to promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to final.
>
> I'll start with +1

I am unclear if I get a vote within the osgeo PSC world, but as the
maintainer of the pkgsrc package for proj, I concur.

Re: [MetaCRS] Promote Proj.4 4.9.2RC3 to release

Frank Warmerdam
+1 Frank

Good work Howard