Prof Barry Dwolatzky of Wits University and the Johannesburg Centre of Software Engineering (JCSE) seeks advice

Prof Barry Dwolatzky of Wits University and the Johannesburg Centre of Software Engineering (JCSE) seeks advice

Chris Yelland

Hi Colleagues

Please see below from my Associate at EE Business Intelligence www.eebi.co.za, Prof Barry Dwolatzky [hidden email] of Wits University and the Johannesburg Centre of Software Engineering (JCSE). If you can assist him, I would be grateful:

Starts...

I’m working in support of a group of Wits Data Scientists and AI experts who are assisting Government with predicting COVID-19 impact. The group is developing a Dash Board and other tools to support those managing the response to the disease.

The Dash Board is at:

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/15817068-62f2-4101-8e0f-385e2ddd9326/page/1M

There was also a report this morning by a Wits/UJ research group (GCRO) that is relevant to what I need advice on:

https://www.gcro.ac.za/outputs/map-of-the-month/detail/mapping-vulnerability-to-covid-19/

I’ve been tasked with finding out who has sources of geographically-indexed data that could be used in combination with COVID data in populating the Dashboard, and in generating maps such as the GCRO one. Such geospatial data would also be necessary in implementing AI tools. We need data covering the whole country.

My first thoughts are census data and IEC data. Can you think of anything else? Access to data would also need to be negotiated. The work is being strongly supported by Dept of Science and Innovation, and other parts of government.

I’m hoping that you might be able to put me in touch with someone you know. Any advice you can give would help tremendously. Its quite urgent.

... ends.

If anyone can assist Prof Barry Dwolatzky please contact him on [hidden email]

Kind regards

Chris

Chris Yelland
Managing director

EE Business Intelligence (Pty) Ltd www.eebi.co.za
EE Publishers (Pty) Ltd www.ee.co.za
Tel: 082 317-4175; Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer:
The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it.
If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Re: Prof Barry Dwolatzky of Wits University and the Johannesburg Centre of Software Engineering (JCSE) seeks advice

sylvainp

Dear Chris,

What is the meaning of the only map present in first link called Province ? It's quite confusing : no legend, no explanation about colour representation.

Regards,
---
Sylvain POULAIN
Consultant SIG
http//:giscan.com http://twitter.com/GISCAN_LTD
Tél : +33 6 73 24 69 96 (France)
    : +33 5 35 54 91 98
    : +230 5 763 85 69  (Ile Maurice)
http://giscan.com

Le 2020-03-27 08:53, Chris Yelland a écrit :

[...]

Chris Berens
They might consider a more regional analysis, as our southern African neighbours will be affected by our actions.
Maybe build on the Food Security population analysis work done by Charles Rethman over the years:
Best wishes all,
Chris

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 06:59, Chris Yelland <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Chris Berens, Pr.GISc
SAGC No.1308
+27 (0)82 567 9322