Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

pcav
Hi all,
I would like to have a simple and clear procedure to decide which
organization could be accepted as a training certification centre.
IMHO opinion, to be accepted, an organization should:
* have a proved record of successful QGIS training, over at least 3 years
* be an active member of the community, with a documented record in
participating to HFs, writing code (as either core or public plugins),
writing documentation, translating large parts of interface or
documentation, maintaining core infrastructure; simple awareness rising
is not sufficient, in my view
* be approved by the corresponding QGIS local user group.
Agreed? Do I miss something? Please make your comments.
Once proposal is defined, I suggest casting a vote on it and place it in
the appropriate place on our web site.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

geomenke
Thanks for raising this issue! As I have been in the trenches on this, I have lots of thoughts.

One of the benefits of the way the certificate program is structured is that it works for all course types: professional workshops, short courses and full term/semester courses. This also makes evaluating course materials tricky. It's easy when an organization is known to the QGIS community. However, I think the criteria need to be set up so they work equally well for organizations who might be more geographically distant, or more involved in the educational side and are not well known to the core QGIS community.

In addition to providing a revenue stream back to the QGIS project I think we all want the resulting certificates to mean something.

This is how we have been operating so far:

We have established that if an organization isn’t one we are familiar with (outside QGIS “trust network”) they need to provide:
  • Course outline/syllabus
  • Some sample exercises with sample data and lecture/presentation
  • Link to the course website (if it exists)
I then go through their material and make sure they are representing QGIS accurately, that the materials are up to date (e.g., not based on v2.8), thorough, and generally look to be high quality. There are obviously judgment calls here. Translating materials can also be difficult.

We (Hans, Tim and Andreas) also discussed that having open course-ware, or an online MOOC should be encouraged and would be a positive attribute for a new organization seeking approval.

*snip*
* have a proved record of successful QGIS training, over at least 3 years

I think this is an good idea although I'm not sure what we would ask for to demonstrate this. # of courses taught? # of students passed?

* be an active member of the community, with a documented record in
participating to HFs, writing code (as either core or public plugins),
writing documentation, translating large parts of interface or
documentation, maintaining core infrastructure; simple awareness rising
is not sufficient, in my view

If this is the case then they likely already fall into the QGIS "trust network" and get approved automatically. This might preclude Universities, who have great programs, from becoming certifying organizations. While I love the sentiment software development and teaching are two different skill sets and most people don't possess both. This criteria would need to include writing text books or open course-ware as a contribution to the project.

* be approved by the corresponding QGIS local user group.

What if there isn't a local QGIS user group? For example, where I live, I feel like a QGIS island in and Esri ocean. I don't have a local QGIS user group, although I would like to start one. It would mostly consist of my ex-students!

*******
One last thought...Since this is about education, having qualified instructors is strikes me as important. Currently the initial approval of the organization is the only quality check in the system. Once certified, an organization can add new courses and instructors. Perhaps in the future when an organization adds new teachers we should have them provide a bio or resume and have some criteria for approving them? I realize it would add another layer to manage, but it would be a nice additional quality check in the system going forward.

Best,
Kurt

Re: Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

pcav
Thanks Kurt for your thoughts and insights.
I think we should discuss about this in the next PSC meeting.
All the best.

Il 18/06/2018 20:21, Kurt Menke ha scritto:

> [...]
>
> *******
> One last thought...Since this is about education, having qualified
> instructors is strikes me as important. Currently the initial approval
> of the organization is the only quality check in the system. Once
> certified, an organization can add new courses and instructors. Perhaps
> in the future when an organization adds new teachers we should have them
> provide a bio or resume and have some criteria for approving them? I
> realize it would add another layer to manage, but it would be a nice
> additional quality check in the system going forward.
>
> Best,
> Kurt
>
> **************************
>
> Kurt Menke, GISP
> Bird’s Eye View

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

Tim Sutton-6
Can I suggest if possible that maybe it is better to resolve it on email - I think it is unfair to make the person wait so long for a response (or at least maybe you could write to him and tell him what the delay is and what the timeline for giving him a decision is).

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 18-06-18 20:21, Kurt Menke wrote:
> We (Hans, Tim and Andreas) also discussed that having open
> course-ware, or an online MOOC should be encouraged and would be a
> positive attribute for a new organization seeking approval.

Talking about MOOC's, I happened to read this yesterday:

https://opensource.com/article/18/6/getting-started-open-edx

If I understand correctly, you can either self-host or have hosted
options. A lot of Universities and large software companies offer
trainings via edx.org...

Anybody familiar with it?
It is to me not clear if it is easily translatable, and the examples I
see have often a lot of (good) video's in it.

Would it be usable for us to host/port for example the 'Gentle Intro' or
'Training Manual'?

Just a shot....

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

Re: Procedure for approval of training certification organizations

Tim Sutton-6
And by the way although we wrote the training manual originally, we are moving our new work to here:

Its like a mini MOOC I guess. The philosophy with the lessons app is to try to write lessons that are quite independent from the QGIS version, and more designed for instructor lead training that self training that we have in the training manual. And also the other idea is that you don’t need to know RST to write lessons (markdown is supported in the new one).

Regards

Tim

On 21 Jun 2018, at 15:27, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

---

Tim Sutton

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment