Problems using QGIS 3.8 with the 3.4 Training Manual

Problems using QGIS 3.8 with the 3.4 Training Manual

Ken McCall

After years of using ARCGIS, I’m using the training manual to become acquainted with QGIS. I’ve downloaded 3.8, and worked through the first 100 pages with no problem. While  some of the 3.8 dialog boxes don’t look like the training manual I’ve been able to see the required buttons, drop downs, etc. But on others, I’ve hit some deadends.

For example, on page 105 when it try to create a dynamic map canvas, in 5.2.1.5, when I go to the Item Properties Panel, there is no Position and Size section showing.

Another example: On p. 114 in ‘Creating a New Vector Dataset’, when I try to save the dataset, I get an error message:

‘Layer creation failed: Failed to create file created_shapefile.shp: Permission denied.

In both examples, I’ve tried several times, following the instructions, only to get the same result.

So, questions:

Is 3.8 that different from 3.4?

Am I running into bugs in the software or the documentation? (It could be user error, but I’m painstakingly following the instructions.)

Should I scrap 3.8 and go with 3.4 instead?

TIA,

Ken McCall

Re: Problems using QGIS 3.8 with the 3.4 Training Manual

Jorge Gustavo Rocha-3

Hi Ken,

Where are you storing the new layer? Maybe you are not selecting a folder where you can write the new shapefile (that's why you get the permission denied error). Can you confirm the location of the new shapefile?

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

Às 16:15 de 30/10/19, Ken McCall escreveu:

[...]

Email Signature
Logo
Geomaster
Jorge Gustavo Rocha | Software Engineer
e: [hidden email] | m: +351 910 333 888
g: 41.54094,-8.40490 | v: 510 906 109
a: Rua António Cândido Pinto, 67, 4715-400 Braga

Re: Problems using QGIS 3.8 with the 3.4 Training Manual

SIGéal-2
Hi,

I remember having this problem if I typed the shapefile name directly in the textbox, without clicking on the Browse button to select a location for the file.

Hope this helps,
--
Christophe
Le 30/10/2019 à 19:29, Jorge Gustavo Rocha a écrit :

[...]

Alexandre Neto
Hi Ken,

It can be any of the three problems, but, since you are following orders, let's assume that it's not your error.

I would start guessing that the documentation may be outdated. And it may not be a question of 3.4 vs 3.8, but really outdated information even for 3.4.

This being said, can I ask you to open qgis-documentation bug tickets, whenever you find problems in the documentation?

Thanks,

Alexandre Neto

A quarta, 30/10/2019, 19:18, SIGéal <[hidden email]> escreveu:
[...]

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

Hi Alexandre, Ken,

I would like to second this opinion and first thank you very much for bringing this subject up.

If you are fine with it, please follow Alexandre Neto's approach and add new issues (one per issue you encounter) here: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues

There we can help you (figure out what's wrong) and update the documentation for everyone else too.

Thanks again

Matthias