Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

dkuenzel
Hello,
I am trying to create a WFS Layer on a Database view which contains a Geometry field but something doesn't seem to work out correctly:
- Creating a Geoserver Layer on the original Table works, the layer can be displayed in Qgis.
- Creating a Geoserver Layer on the View works, but there seems to be an issue with the Geometry. Loading the Layer into Qgis works and the attribute table contains data but the points can't be displayed.

I created the view with:
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW view_basicview_english AS SELECT tablename.the_geom::GEOMETRY(PointZ,4326) AS the_geom ...
and psql shows a correct geometry column in that view:
the_geom                            | geometry(PointZ,4326)       |           | main        |

Now when I create a layer in the Geoserver WebUI I get the following results:
Failing Layer
In comparison to the original Table:
Working Layer

I really tried to figure out what the problem is, but I even fail to limit the source of it. On the one hand the View seems to be fully functional as I can open and display it via direct DB-Connection, I don't see any differences between the Geometry fields in the original table and the view. On the other hand Geoserver seems to notice a difference which is the source of the problem.

I would be really pleased if anyone got an idea on this, because I am totally lost here...

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

Stefano Iacovella

Now when I create a layer in the Geoserver WebUI I get the following
results:
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5194895/point_fails.png>
In comparison to the original Table:
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5194895/point_works.png>

Hi,

May be I am failing to see what should be immediately clear but both pictures looks like OK to me. What's the error you got with this view?

Cheers,

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoiacovella

http://twitter.com/#!/Iacovellas

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

dkuenzel
Hi Stefano,

thanks for your reply.

The only difference between the two screenshots is the symbol at the beginning of the line. The Original layer shows a point symbol while the view shows a rectangle (polygon?), the weird thing is, that both layers contain exactly the same type of data (the view is a subset).

Geoserver itself doesn't give any error, but I can't display the WFS in Qgis. The Attribute table then shows all the features but there are no objects shown on the map.

To add some more confusion: it is possible to preview the layer in the Geoserver UI (Openlayers) but if I try to add it to my own openlayers map there won't be any objects on the map.

I suppose it might be a problem with Geoserver computing the Geometry from the view correctly and sending it via WFS but I don't see any reason why that should be the case. The only difference between the original table and the view is that symbol I mentioned at the beginning.

Regards, David

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

Julian

that sounds to me a lot like your view lacks geospatial metadata. I assume you are running PostGIS? Try running AddGeometryColumn, cf. http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/AddGeometryColumn.html

/julian

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

Stefano Iacovella

The only difference between the two screenshots is the symbol at the
beginning of the line. The Original layer shows a point symbol while the
view shows a rectangle (polygon?), the weird thing is, that both layers
contain exactly the same type of data (the view is a subset).

Could you post the SQL code used to create the view?

Cheers,

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoiacovella

http://twitter.com/#!/Iacovellas

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

geowolf
On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM, dkuenzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Did you ask GeoServer to try and figure out the geometry type and srid when
listing the sql view attributes?
Even in case GeoServer does not recognize them correctly, you can manually
fix them

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you ask GeoServer to try and figure out the geometry type and srid when
listing the sql view attributes?
Even in case GeoServer does not recognize them correctly, you can manually
fix them

Oh, the comment makes sense if you used a GeoServer sql view (http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/database/sqlview.html),
if instead it's a native view in the db, Julian's comment is the one you should look at

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

The whole code would be a bit lengthy but this is the important part:

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW view_basicview_english AS SELECT basicdata.the_geom::GEOMETRY(PointZ,4326) AS the_geom, ...

@julian:
If I connect the DB through Qgis directly the column is recognized and I can load and display the contents of the view correctly

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

dkuenzel
Hello Andrea,
thanks for your reply.
Geoserver recognized the geometry column as I created the Layer, I didn't change anything else then.
Now I looked closer into it and clicked "reload feature type", after that the rectangle symbol changed to a point symbol and the column is described as "Point". I tried loading the Layer in Qgis again but it still won't display, though the attribute table contains all the features.
Regards, David

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:31 PM, dkuenzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Andrea,
thanks for your reply.
Geoserver recognized the geometry column as I created the Layer, I didn't
change anything else then.
Now I looked closer into it and clicked "reload feature type", after that
the rectangle symbol changed to a point symbol and the column is described
as "Point". I tried loading the Layer in Qgis again but it still won't
display, though the attribute table contains all the features.

Try using the layer preview and look at the generated GML, does it look fine?
Do you have any log in QGis that might tell us what is not working on that side?

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

create a geoJSON layer in openlayers 3 from geoserver url

Ismail, Mark

I am Trying to create a geoJSON layer in openlayers 3 from a geoserver url

https://kgeo.knowsley.gov.uk/geoserver/Geostore/ows?service=WFS&version=1.0.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=Geostore:UDP%20Proposed%20Park%20and%20Ride&maxFeatures=50&outputFormat=json

if I change the output format to csv it works

this keeps telling me  - Failed to find response for output format jsonp

anyone had experience with this kind data call ?

Mark Ismail

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. It may contain privileged information and is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It must not be distributed without consent. If you are not one of the intended recipients, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part of it and do not take any action based on it.

Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender, and not of Knowsley MBC. Legally binding obligations can only be created for, or be entered into on behalf of, Knowsley MBC by duly authorised officers or representatives.

Knowsley MBC excludes any liability whatsoever for any offence caused, any direct or consequential loss arising from the use, or reliance on, this e-mail or its contents. We believe but do not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free. You must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking and no responsibility is accepted for loss or damage arising from viruses or changes made to this message after it was sent. Knowsley MBC reserves the right to monitor and/or record all e-mail communications through its network in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

dkuenzel
The GML looks OK to me, this is the Coordinate-part of the first feature:

<dev:the_geom>
<gml:Point srsName="http://www.opengis.net/gml/srs/epsg.xml#4326">
<gml:coordinates decimal="." cs="," ts=" ">-47.74740982,-20.22144508,612.241</gml:coordinates>
</gml:Point>
</dev:the_geom>

It looks exactly the same like in the GML from the original table.

I don't know where Qgis has it's log but I didn't get any errors so far. Can you tell me where I can find it?
Just tried adding the Layer again into Qgis and saw that it is recognized as Geometrytype "Line" which is definitely wrong.

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

jratike80

I made a short test with GS 2.0-pre-release with these objects:

CREATE TABLE viewtest

(

  "GEOMETRY" geometry(PointZ,3067),

  attribute character varying

  )

INSERT INTO viewtest ("GEOMETRY", attribute)

  VALUES ( ST_GeomFromText('POINTZ (640079 7002754 100)',3067), 'feature_1');

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW view_viewtest

AS SELECT viewtest."GEOMETRY"::GEOMETRY(PointZ,3067) AS geometry, attribute

from viewtest;

CREATE VIEW view_viewtest_2

AS SELECT viewtest."GEOMETRY"::GEOMETRY(PointZ,3067) AS geometry, attribute

from viewtest;

I could publish the table and the normal view fine, the admin utility shows geometry type as point and layer preview with OpenLayers is fine.

I could not publish the materialized view at all because it does not appear in the list of available layers when I open my PostGIS store.

There is a corresponding row in the geometry_columns

"gis9";"public";"view_viewtest";"geometry";3;3067;"POINT"

This makes me think that there is perhaps something that does not quite work with materialized views.

I have two suggestions:

1)      Have a try with a plain, non-materialized view.

2)      Consider if you could do the same as I did above and send complete SQL commands for reproducing test data and the issue. It would have a few good points:

a.       It makes you to make another test with most simple schema and data and verify that issue does not come from the source data

b.      It makes it possible for the reviewers to make an exact copy of your case

c.       If it is fast and easy, more people may really make a test for helping you

This is something that I have not yet discussed with Geoserver developers but I have been reading a few hundred open tickets during past two months and found that the ones with SQL are quite nice to study. Perhaps we could write some Best Practice document about how to report about issues which are dealing with databases.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

[...]

Thanks

I just read in the manual it is turned off by default

Mark Ismail

Principal IT Officer

Tel: 0151 443 3021

Knowsley Council  ê  Westmorland Road  ê Huyton ê L36 9GL

Save time – use the IT Service Desk Self Serve Application

Re: create a geoJSON layer in openlayers 3 from geoserver url

jratike80

Hi Ian,

What do you mean with "only claims to support JSON"? For me the GetCapabilities show all these:

<GetFeature>

<ResultFormat>

<KML/>

<GML2/>

<GML3/>

<SHAPE-ZIP/>

<CSV/>

<JSONP/>

<JSON/>

</ResultFormat>

In addition, lowercase "json" works as well even it is not advertized. On the other hand, "JSONP" does not work even it is advertized.

But if Mark asks for json and WFS answers that jsonp is not supported I can only imagine that the OL3 application must be changing the outputformat in the request. But because JSONP is advertised as supported format but using it in request gives

"Failed to find response for output format JSONP" it feels much like a server bug.

https://kgeo.knowsley.gov.uk/geoserver/Geostore/ows?service=WFS&version=1.0.0&request=GetFeature&typeName=Geostore:UDP%20Proposed%20Park%20and%20Ride&maxFeatures=50&outputFormat=JSONP

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Ian Turton wrote:

[...]

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Know issue: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-4635 , we have the code fixes, but we still need to upgrade
the postgresql driver to complete the work, up until recently we could not due to a bug in the postgresql driver
itself, right now it's only a matter of giving up a test that does not pass anymore due to a change in behavior
in the latest version of the driver (in which the other bigger problem has been solved).

We'll have the upgrade going for 2.8.0, not sure if we are going to backport to 2.7.x (the 300+ tests
we have showed us two changes in behavior, there might be more that our tests are not covering...
so I'd be cautious about an upgrade).

And oh, that said, you can manually remove the old postgresql driver from web-in/lib and add the
latest one as a replacement, that should work fine, we have made no changes in the actual
code to support the new driver, we'll only have to disable one test.

[...]

Yep, summarizing your experience in the bug tracker in a guide for people reporting issues would certainly be quite valuable

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

Hi Jukka

I turned on the setting in webxml and now it works in layer preview.

Unfortunately openlayers 3 will not accept the data returned as a valid geojson source for creating a map object

But at least I can get it working in layer preview now, what’s slightly strange is when you select GEOJSON/JSONP the url generated adds text/javascript as the format not json

Mark Ismail

Re: Problems creating a Geoserver Layer on a PostGIS View

dkuenzel
Hey Andrea,

the description from Jukka Rahkonen doesn't fit my problem because I am able to publish the materialized view. I am running Geoserver V 2.6.0. But thanks for the notice that there might be something wrong with the materialized view. At the Moment it is not possible to work with a normal view instead because it would impair the performance a lot.

I think I will just have to wait for the driver to be reworked to see if it works then. In the meantime I will try to work around the problem with direct DB-Interface instead and wait for the new Geoserver Version.

Thanks for your help anyways. ;-)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 4:02 PM, dkuenzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Andrea,

the description from Jukka Rahkonen doesn't fit my problem because I am able
to publish the materialized view. I am running Geoserver V 2.6.0. But thanks
for the notice that there might be something wrong with the materialized
view. At the Moment it is not possible to work with a normal view instead
because it would impair the performance a lot.

You can just pick the latest postgresql jdbc driver and replace the old one
in the GeoServer own WEB-INF/lib, it should work fine

Cheers
Andrea

--
==