Problems Viewing WMS in other applications like ArcGIS Online

Problems Viewing WMS in other applications like ArcGIS Online

Dick, Jennifer

Hello,

I've created a workspace and a layer group with 2 layers in it. I'm able to view this layers in the Preview Layer window.

However, I'm not sure how to set up a WMS to be able to view these layers in other applications such as ArcGIS Online, ArcExplorer Online, etc.

However when I set up the URL (http://localhost:8080/geoserver/altalis/wms?) in those applications I receive the following info:

“The WMS service, http://localhost:8080/geoserver/altalis/wms, cannot be added to the map. It is either not available or you have entered an invalid URL for the type of layer you want to reference.”

I'm not a developer, so forgive me if I can't completely understand all the coding.

Any direction would be great.

ihs.com
Information | Analytics | Expertise

http://www.ihsglobalinsight.com/gcpath/spacer.gif

http://www.ihsglobalinsight.com/gcpath/spacer.gif

http://www.ihsglobalinsight.com/gcpath/spacer.gif

Jennifer Dick
SME Surface & Spatial Data
Energy Technical
Stampede Station | 1331 Macleod Trail SE Suite 200 | Calgary, AB Canada T2G 0K3
Phone: +1 403 770 4652 | Cell: +1 587 580 7659
[hidden email]

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

Re: Problems Viewing WMS in other applications like ArcGIS Online

Larry Theller

I have used GeoServer services on ArcGis Online. I use the DNS qualified name of the server, e.g. “http://missouri.agriculture.purdue.edu/geoserver/wms “

I am sure ArcGIS online will not be able to understand “localhost” , hence the “invalid URL” comment.