Problem with remote file

determek
This post was updated on .
Hi

I've encontered a problem with the Feature Data Set Editor (version 1.6.4).
My purpose is to connect to a shape file on a remote server:

url:  file://Gis2008-fileser/GeoserverData/test/test.shp

I've checked that the file is accessible and that all authorizations are given.

The error returned is the following: "Connection Parameters are invalid".
In the log file, I found the following:
"2008-02-22 16:22:09,468 WARN [geotools.data] - Could not acquire ESRI(tm) Shapefiles (*.shp):java.io.FileNotFoundException: Shapefile not found:/GeoserverData/test/test.shp
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Shapefile not found:/GeoserverData/test/test.shp"

Is it a bug or is it a problem with the notation ?

Thank you

Re: Problem with remote file

Justin Deoliveira
Hi,

I could be wrong but I believe if the file is remote you will have to
use the http protocol for the url, rather than file.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira
Software Engineer, OpenGeo

Re: Problem with remote file

aaime
KDT ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> I've encontered a problem with the Feature Data Set Editor (version 1.6.4).
> My purpose is to connect to a shape file on a remote server:
>
> url:  file://Gis2008-fileser/GeoserverData/test/test.shp
>
> I've checked that the file is accessible and that all authorizations are
> given.
>
> The error returned is the following: "Connection Parameters are invalid".
> In the log file, I found the following:
> "2008-02-22 16:22:09,468 WARN [geotools.data] - Could not acquire ESRI(tm)
> Shapefiles (*.shp):java.io.FileNotFoundException: Shapefile not
> found:/GeoserverData/test/test.shp
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: Shapefile not
> found:/GeoserverData/test/test.shp"
>
> Is it a bug or is it a problem with the notation ?

Well, simply put, Java cannot directly access a windows/samba share.
To make a little test I've put a shapefile on a Samba share (on a linux
server). A direct name did not work at all, looking on Google there
seem no valid syntax to access such a share directly.
Then I've mounted the share as Z: and connected to the shapefile using
a local file path and it worked.
Long story short, try mounting the share into your local filesystem and
it should start working.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Andrea

Re: Problem with remote file

determek
Thanks for the response.
Indeed it works with a map drive.

Sorry if it becomes out of scope, but I want to mention this point:
when I install Geoserver as a service with the wrapper, then the map drive doesn't work anymore, even if I care to start the service with a good login.

If anyone has already encontered this problem, any advice is welcome.

Re: Problem with remote file

Hudson-2
Can you see (task manager) what user GeoServer actually runs as when
using the wrapper?

-Arne

Arne Kepp ha scritto:
> Can you see (task manager) what user GeoServer actually runs as when
> using the wrapper?

I believe windows is mounting the units only after the login of the
person that setup the mount... in order to make it run during
startup you would need something that runs as a service and that
runs before GeoServer to mount the share. I have no idea of how to
do that.

It seems someone else already banged his head on this one, but
I did not find an howto:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-July/089030.html

Cheers
Andrea

Re: Problem with remote file

aaime
Andrea Aime ha scritto:
> It seems someone else already banged his head on this one, but
> I did not find an howto:
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-July/089030.html

This might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243486&Product=win2000