Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Miguel Ángel Castro
Hi Richard,

I can see what you show to me.

But, this problem not takes place in QGIS 1.8.0 with this WMS data source ( http://idecan2.grafcan.es/ServicioWMS/EspNat) and similar others.

Something in wmsprovider.dll of QGIS 2.0.1?

Thanks in advance
Miguel Ángel Castro

Re: Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi all,

I have a similar issue with geoserver.
QGIS2 request is:
http://my_internal_server/geoserver/ows?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=my_bbox&CRS=my_crs&WIDTH=242&HEIGHT=278&LAYERS=my_layer&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&DPI=96&MAP_RESOLUTION=96&FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:96&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
entering this URL in the browser results in a geoserver error message.
However if I leave out FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:96 (which, according to the
geoserver docs [1] should be supported) the map image is returned.
Two more remarks
1) not all layers fail with this request
2) QGIS 1.8 did not add this dpi-96 stuff, so all my layers worked in 1.8

What was the reason to intoduce the dpi96 stuff and could we probably
change that to a configurable option (yes/no) of the WMS connection?

Bernhard

[1] http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wms/vendor.html

Am 22.10.2013 10:12, schrieb Miguel Ángel Castro:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I can see what you show to me.
>
> But, this problem not takes place in QGIS 1.8.0 with this WMS data source (
> http://idecan2.grafcan.es/ServicioWMS/EspNat) and similar others.
>
> Something in wmsprovider.dll of QGIS 2.0.1?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Miguel Ángel Castro
>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 8948 (20131022) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 8948 (20131022) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi all,

I think the dpi parameter is a useful extension and should be added by
the QGIS client (given that the dpi are really correctly detected).

If a WMS server chokes on additional paramters it is not very well
designed. They can just ignore these extra parameters if they do not
know how to deal with it.

Just my opinion.

Andreas

Am 22.10.2013 10:30, schrieb Bernhard Ströbl:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a similar issue with geoserver.
> QGIS2 request is:
> http://my_internal_server/geoserver/ows?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=my_bbox&CRS=my_crs&WIDTH=242&HEIGHT=278&LAYERS=my_layer&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&DPI=96&MAP_RESOLUTION=96&FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:96&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
>
> entering this URL in the browser results in a geoserver error message.
> However if I leave out FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:96 (which, according to the
> geoserver docs [1] should be supported) the map image is returned.
> Two more remarks
> 1) not all layers fail with this request
> 2) QGIS 1.8 did not add this dpi-96 stuff, so all my layers worked in 1.8
>
> What was the reason to intoduce the dpi96 stuff and could we probably
> change that to a configurable option (yes/no) of the WMS connection?
>
> Bernhard
>
> [1] http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wms/vendor.html
>
> Am 22.10.2013 10:12, schrieb Miguel Ángel Castro:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I can see what you show to me.
>>
>> But, this problem not takes place in QGIS 1.8.0 with this WMS data
>> source (
>> http://idecan2.grafcan.es/ServicioWMS/EspNat) and similar others.
>>
>> Something in wmsprovider.dll of QGIS 2.0.1?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Miguel Ángel Castro
>>

>> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
>> signature database 8948 (20131022) __________
>>
>> The message was checked by ESET Mail Security.
>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 8948 (20131022) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Andrea Peri
I agree.

Often is not known the kind of wms server so I apply always the map_resolution and the dpi parameters.

2013/10/22 Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

I think the dpi parameter is a useful extension and should be added by
the QGIS client (given that the dpi are really correctly detected).

If a WMS server chokes on additional paramters it is not very well
designed. They can just ignore these extra parameters if they do not
know how to deal with it.

Just my opinion.

Andreas

Am 22.10.2013 10:30, schrieb Bernhard Ströbl:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a similar issue with geoserver.
> QGIS2 request is:
> http://my_internal_server/geoserver/ows?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&BBOX=my_bbox&CRS=my_crs&WIDTH=242&HEIGHT=278&LAYERS=my_layer&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/png&DPI=96&MAP_RESOLUTION=96&FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:96&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
>
> entering this URL in the browser results in a geoserver error message.
> However if I leave out FORMAT_OPTIONS=dpi:96 (which, according to the
> geoserver docs [1] should be supported) the map image is returned.
> Two more remarks
> 1) not all layers fail with this request
> 2) QGIS 1.8 did not add this dpi-96 stuff, so all my layers worked in 1.8
>
> What was the reason to intoduce the dpi96 stuff and could we probably
> change that to a configurable option (yes/no) of the WMS connection?
>
> Bernhard
>
> [1] http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wms/vendor.html
>
> Am 22.10.2013 10:12, schrieb Miguel Ángel Castro:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I can see what you show to me.
>>
>> But, this problem not takes place in QGIS 1.8.0 with this WMS data
>> source (
>> http://idecan2.grafcan.es/ServicioWMS/EspNat) and similar others.
>>
>> Something in wmsprovider.dll of QGIS 2.0.1?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Miguel Ángel Castro
>>

>> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
>> signature database 8948 (20131022) __________
>>
>> The message was checked by ESET Mail Security.
>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> __________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus
> signature database 8948 (20131022) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Andreas,

Am 22.10.2013 14:44, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> Hi all,
>
> I think the dpi parameter is a useful extension and should be added by
> the QGIS client (given that the dpi are really correctly detected).

Correct, therefore QGIS adds this parameter in different flavours for
the most common WMS servers (I assume because this parameter is not
defined in the WMS standard as has already been pointed out in this thread).

> If a WMS server chokes on additional paramters it is not very well
> designed. They can just ignore these extra parameters if they do not
> know how to deal with it.

My problem is not that geoserver chokes on the additional parameters but
that for _some_ layers the geoserver-specific parameter
"format_options=dpi:96" makes it throw an error.
I know that these layers are poorly configured but cannot do anything
against it (because other software depends on them). My users currently
cannot access these layers. Miguel Ángel Castro (who started this
thread) described that he cannot access layers from
http://idecan2.grafcan.es/ServicioWMS/EspNat

Therefore I opt for a configuration option to switch off the dpi
parameter because public servers may be misconfigured and still people
want to display their layers in QGIS.

Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 8949 (20131022) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Problem with WMS 1.1.1 data providers in QGIS 2.0.1

Andreas Neumann-4
fair enough - if users are prevented to access these WMS layers, there
should be an option that would allow them to access the layers.

Yet another option to the WMS loading dialogue - sigh ...

Andreas

Am 22.10.2013 15:35, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> fair enough - if users are prevented to access these WMS layers, there
> should be an option that would allow them to access the layers.
>
> Yet another option to the WMS loading dialogue - sigh ...

I know it is already crowded, default should be off (= add dpi parameter)

I created a ticket [1]

Bernhard

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8929

> Andreas
>
> Am 22.10.2013 15:19, schrieb Bernhard Ströbl:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Am 22.10.2013 14:44, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I think the dpi parameter is a useful extension and should be added by
>>> the QGIS client (given that the dpi are really correctly detected).
>>
>> Correct, therefore QGIS adds this parameter in different flavours for
>> the most common WMS servers (I assume because this parameter is not
>> defined in the WMS standard as has already been pointed out in this
>> thread).
>>

>>> If a WMS server chokes on additional paramters it is not very well
>>> designed. They can just ignore these extra parameters if they do not
>>> know how to deal with it.
>>
>> My problem is not that geoserver chokes on the additional parameters but
>> that for _some_ layers the geoserver-specific parameter
>> "format_options=dpi:96" makes it throw an error.
>> I know that these layers are poorly configured but cannot do anything
>> against it (because other software depends on them). My users currently
>> cannot access these layers. Miguel Ángel Castro (who started this
>> thread) described that he cannot access layers from
>> http://idecan2.grafcan.es/ServicioWMS/EspNat
>>
>> Therefore I opt for a configuration option to switch off the dpi
>> parameter because public servers may be misconfigured and still people
>> want to display their layers in QGIS.
>>
>> Bernhard

Bernhard Ströbl
Anwendungsbetreuer GIS