Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu 16.04

Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu 16.04

NicoM
Hello,

I'm trying to install geonetwork on a Linux/Ubuntu 16.04 server but I
have a big problem. I can deploy the webapp on tomcat8 without any
problem but when I try to start it, I get the following error :

2018-12-11 13:43:03,575 WARN
[jeeves.config.springutil.JeevesApplicationContext] - Exception
encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh attempt:
bean with name 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0':
Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is
java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to server socket:
tcp://localhost:61616 due to: java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà
utilisée (Bind failed)
2018-12-11 13:43:03,584 FATAL [jeeves.engine] - Raised exception during
init
2018-12-11 13:43:03,585 FATAL [jeeves.engine] -    Exception :
bean with name 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0':
Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is
java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to server socket:
tcp://localhost:61616 due to: java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà
utilisée (Bind failed)
2018-12-11 13:43:03,585 FATAL [jeeves.engine] -    Message   : Error
creating bean with name
'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0': Invocation of init
method failed; nested exception is java.io.IOException: Failed to bind
to server socket: tcp://localhost:61616 due to: java.net.BindException:
Adresse déjà utilisée (Bind failed)
2018-12-11 13:43:03,588 FATAL [jeeves.engine] -    Stack     :
bean with name 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0':
Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is
java.io.IOException: Failed to bind to server socket:
tcp://localhost:61616 due to: java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà
utilisée (Bind failed)

About that kind of problem I already read this :
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/tcp-localhost-61616-due-to-java-net-BindException-Address-already-in-use-JVM-Bind-td5375333.html
and this : https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/issues/1933

The result of the command "sudo fuser -v -n tcp 61616" is :
61616/tcp: tomcat8    2959 F.... java
But when I try to kill this process it kills tomcat8 !
When I undeploy geonetwork and restart tomcat8, the command fuser return
nothing.
So it seems that tcp://localhost/61616 is really used by the geonetwork
webapp but it keeps saying that this port is used by another process and
refuse to start.
I never had another geonetwork installed on this server before. I tried
to change the config.properties file to work with another port (61617)
but the problem is the same.
Could someone help me please ?

Thanks,
Nicolas

Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

NicoM
Hello,

I didn't have any reply to my question in december, so I try again here.
I tried to start geonetwork 3.2.2, 3.4.4 and 3.6.0 on fresh new installs
of Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian Stretch but I didn't succeed in any case
because of the same error with localhost port 61616. I don't understand
why I'm the only one with this annoying problem. I tried a lot of
possibilities (changing port and other desesperate things) but always
the same error when I try to start geonetwork... I'm not a Java
programmer so it's not possible for me to go into the code to see what
it is the problem !

Thanks for help,

Nicolas

Le 12/12/2018 à 15:07, Nicolas Moyroud a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install geonetwork on a Linux/Ubuntu 16.04 server but I
> have a big problem. I can deploy the webapp on tomcat8 without any
> problem but when I try to start it, I get the following error :
>
> 2018-12-11 13:43:03,575 WARN
> [jeeves.config.springutil.JeevesApplicationContext] - Exception
> encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh
> attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException:
> Error creating bean with name
> 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0': Invocation of init
> method failed; nested exception is java.io.IOException: Failed to bind
> to server socket: tcp://localhost:61616 due to:
> java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà utilisée (Bind failed)
> 2018-12-11 13:43:03,584 FATAL [jeeves.engine] - Raised exception
> during init
> 2018-12-11 13:43:03,585 FATAL [jeeves.engine] -    Exception :
> creating bean with name
> 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0': Invocation of init
> method failed; nested exception is java.io.IOException: Failed to bind
> to server socket: tcp://localhost:61616 due to:
> java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà utilisée (Bind failed)
> 2018-12-11 13:43:03,585 FATAL [jeeves.engine] -    Message   : Error
> creating bean with name
> 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0': Invocation of init
> method failed; nested exception is java.io.IOException: Failed to bind
> to server socket: tcp://localhost:61616 due to:
> java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà utilisée (Bind failed)
> 2018-12-11 13:43:03,588 FATAL [jeeves.engine] -    Stack     :
> creating bean with name
> 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService#0': Invocation of init
> method failed; nested exception is java.io.IOException: Failed to bind
> to server socket: tcp://localhost:61616 due to:
> java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà utilisée (Bind failed)
>
> About that kind of problem I already read this :
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/tcp-localhost-61616-due-to-java-net-BindException-Address-already-in-use-JVM-Bind-td5375333.html
> and this : https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/issues/1933
>
> The result of the command "sudo fuser -v -n tcp 61616" is :
> 61616/tcp: tomcat8    2959 F.... java
> But when I try to kill this process it kills tomcat8 !
> When I undeploy geonetwork and restart tomcat8, the command fuser
> return nothing.
> So it seems that tcp://localhost/61616 is really used by the
> geonetwork webapp but it keeps saying that this port is used by
> another process and refuse to start.
> I never had another geonetwork installed on this server before. I
> tried to change the config.properties file to work with another port
> (61617) but the problem is the same.
> Could someone help me please ?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicolas

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

Jo Cook
Hi Nicolas,

I can confirm that Geonetwork 3.2 and 3.4 work happily on Ubuntu 16.04 in
tomcat8. I did have the same issue as you. All I did was try to run tomcat,
if I got the error, I killed the process using tcp://localhost/61616 and
then restarted tomcat8. I did not have to redeploy geonetwork to make this
work. This happened on multiple occasions and I was always able to fix it
like this.

All the best

Jo

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:26 AM Nicolas Moyroud <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > java.net.BindException: Adresse déjà utilisée (Bind failed)
> >
> > About that kind of problem I already read this :
> >
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/tcp-localhost-61616-due-to-java-net-BindException-Address-already-in-use-JVM-Bind-td5375333.html
> > and this : https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/issues/1933
> >
> > The result of the command "sudo fuser -v -n tcp 61616" is :
> > 61616/tcp: tomcat8    2959 F.... java
> > But when I try to kill this process it kills tomcat8 !
> > When I undeploy geonetwork and restart tomcat8, the command fuser
> > return nothing.
> > So it seems that tcp://localhost/61616 is really used by the
> > geonetwork webapp but it keeps saying that this port is used by
> > another process and refuse to start.
> > I never had another geonetwork installed on this server before. I
> > tried to change the config.properties file to work with another port

*Jo Cook*
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For urgent
our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

NicoM
Thanks Jo. My problem is that the process using 61616 is tomcat8 itself.
So I kill the process... it kills tomcat. I restart tomcat8 the port is
free, but when I try to start geonetwork, I get same error and the port
is used by tomcat8 again ! It's a dead-lock.

Nicolas

Le 19/02/2019 à 12:36, Jo Cook a écrit :

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I can confirm that Geonetwork 3.2 and 3.4 work happily on Ubuntu 16.04
> in tomcat8. I did have the same issue as you. All I did was try to run
> tomcat, if I got the error, I killed the process using
> tcp://localhost/61616 and then restarted tomcat8. I did not have to
> redeploy geonetwork to make this work. This happened on multiple
> occasions and I was always able to fix it like this.
>
> All the best
>
> Jo

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

zer0mode
This post was updated on .
Hi Nico,

I've had the same error before. Last time because of a bad server
configuration. There must be some instances running on your computer or
multiple redirections to tomcat.

What do you get by executing this command ?
sudo netstat -tnlp

Try it with both scenarios, when tomcat is running and when it doesn't.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

NicoM
Hi,

I think your forgot to give me the command to try in your mail. I don't
understand how I'm able to start geonetwork if tomcat is not running ?

Nicolas

Le 19/02/2019 à 13:00, zer0mode a écrit :

> Hi Nico,
>
> I've had the same error before. Last time because of a bad server
> configuration. There must be some instances running on your computer or
> multiple redirections to tomcat.
>
> What do you get by executing this command ?
>

> Try it with both scenarios, when tomcat is running and when it doesn't.

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

zer0mode
I added the missing command in my previous post...
It might give you an idea of what's happening on your system. Also verify
the logs of all system servers and check for potential port conflict. Are
you certain you've been running only one tomcat instance/version ?

NicoM wrote
> I don't understand how I'm able to start geonetwork if tomcat is not
> running ?

I meant having tomcat servlet running and not, no matter which apps are
being deployed.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

NicoM
When tomcat is not running nothing on port 61616, when I start tomcat
always nothing for a moment, but after about 20s I get this :

tcp6       0      0 127.0.0.1:61616 :::*                    LISTEN
32250/java

And if I stop tomcat nothing again.

It's a fresh new install of Ubuntu and I didn't create any other
instance of tomcat on it. I just installed another webapp "geoserver" on
the same tomcat.

Nicolas

Le 19/02/2019 à 16:01, zer0mode a écrit :
> I added the missing command in my previous post...
> It might give you an idea of what's happening on your system. Also verify
> the logs of all system servers and check for potential port conflict. Are
> you certain you've been running only one tomcat instance/version ?
>

> I meant having tomcat servlet running and not, no matter which apps are
> being deployed.

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

zer0mode
I reproduced this same error yesterday. What I did was :
* stop the tomcat service
* delete the wro4j cache files from
//var/lib/tomcat/webapps/geonetwork/WEB-INF/data//
* restart tomcat

Then check the logs in /catalina.out/ if relaunching seems normal.
Hope this helps !

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

NicoM
In directory "/var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/geonetwork/WEB-INF/data/" I can
see 2 subdirectory "data" and "config". I stopped tomcat, deleted the 2
subdirectories, restarted tomcat, but always the same problem...

Nicolas

Le 20/02/2019 à 11:16, zer0mode a écrit :
> I reproduced this same error yesterday. What I did was :
> * stop the tomcat service
> * delete the wro4j cache files from
> //var/lib/tomcat/webapps/geonetwork/WEB-INF/data//
> * restart tomcat
>
> Then check the logs in /catalina.out/ if relaunching seems normal.
> Hope this helps !

Re: Problem to start geonetwork on Ubuntu & Debian

zer0mode
wro4j-cache* >>files<<, not folders.

Concerning ports configuration, did you verify that there aren't multiple
apps on the same port, like 8080 for example ? If you are certain that the
system is properly configured try to download again geonetwork.war file and
redeploy.

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoNetwork-users-f3860293.html