Problem seeing newly added ImageMosaic granules

Problem seeing newly added ImageMosaic granules

sbrooke

Hi list,

I am using GeoServer 2.5.2 with PostGIS 2.1.3 I have an ImageMosaic of raster imagery with time series support where granule index is stored in PostGIS table.  I am able to add new granules by adding a row to the DB table and via the GeoServer REST API.  However, when I preview the layer I am unable to see the new granules until I restart GeoServer.  What is the correct way to force an ImageMosaic coverage to allow the new granules to be available?

I am using the URL parameter:  “?recalculate=nativebbox,latlonbbox” when adding granules but it doesn’t seem to update the layer extent.

--Steve

Re: Problem seeing newly added ImageMosaic granules

sbrooke

Does anyone know the answer to this?  Still haven’t seen a response for this question yet and I find it hard to believe this hasn’t been an issue for someone else.

Thanks,

--Steve

I am using GeoServer 2.5.2 with PostGIS 2.1.3 I have an ImageMosaic of raster imagery with time series support where granule index is stored in PostGIS table.  I am able to add new granules by adding a row to the DB table and via the GeoServer REST API.  However, when I preview the layer I am unable to see the new granules until I restart GeoServer.  What is the correct way to force an ImageMosaic coverage to allow the new granules to be available?

I am using the URL parameter:  “?recalculate=nativebbox,latlonbbox” when adding granules but it doesn’t seem to update the layer extent.

--Steve

Re: Problem seeing newly added ImageMosaic granules

sbrooke

Anybody?

[...]

Daniele Romagnoli-3
Hi Stephen,
do you have a sample set to replicate the issue? (as an instance a first granule to be configured and a second one to be added showing that it doesn't update the mosaic index)
You can also share to me by private email in case you are not allowed to redistribute your data to "anyone".

Please, let us know.
Regards,
Daniele

==
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Daniele Romagnoli
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Stephen Brooke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anybody?

[...]

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to share the data I’m working with, besides, it is too large to distribute easily.  My problem is not that the ImageMosaic granule index doesn’t get updated.  My problem is that the ImageMosaic doesn’t seem to automatically detect that the new granule has been added to the index unless I restart GeoServer.

You should be able to reproduce this issue with any GeoTiffs that have built-in overviews.  I’m not really doing anything special.  In other words, the ImageMosaic doesn’t seem to recalculate what it thinks is the extent of the granules.  For my imagery note that the granules may not be very near each other geographically.

--Steve

[...]

geowolf
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Stephen Brooke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to share the data I’m working with, besides, it is too large to distribute easily.  My problem is not that the ImageMosaic granule index doesn’t get updated.  My problem is that the ImageMosaic doesn’t seem to automatically detect that the new granule has been added to the index unless I restart GeoServer.

You should be able to reproduce this issue with any GeoTiffs that have built-in overviews.  I’m not really doing anything special.  In other words, the ImageMosaic doesn’t seem to recalculate what it thinks is the extent of the granules.  For my imagery note that the granules may not be very near each other geographically.

So, to recap, your expectation would be that GeoServer updates the bbox of the layer, the one advertised in GetCapabilities, and this does not happen?

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
http://goo.gl/NWWaa2 for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

[...]

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)

You do not need to share your big images and I do not believe they are so special. What is important is to make it as easy as possible for others to reproduce your issue in a reliable way. You can for example tell how to repeat it with the images which are delivered together with the default Geoserver installation. Somehow like this:

1)      Prepare 3 tests images with gdal_translate

\geoserver-2.6.0\data_dir\coverages\mosaic_sample>gdal_translate -of gtiff global_mosaic_0.png global_mosaic_0.tif

\geoserver-2.6.0\data_dir\coverages\mosaic_sample>gdal_translate -of gtiff global_mosaic_1.png global_mosaic_1.tif

\geoserver-2.6.0\data_dir\coverages\mosaic_sample>gdal_translate -of gtiff global_mosaic_2.png global_mosaic_2.tif

2)      Create a new ImageMosaic from images global_mosaic_0.tif and global_mosaic_1.tif

3)      Publish as a layer

4)      Add a new granule global_mosaic_3.tif by doing [what?]

5)      Add overviews [is that step really needed, or do you mean rather that avoid external overviews because they will lead to a failure for another reason?]

6)      See that layer extents have not been updated [did I understand it right?]

7)      Restart Geoserver and see that now the extents are OK [are they]

That way it would be easy for others to repeat your steps and besides that you have yourself tested the workflow with some other images than your own. If the issue remains it is a proof that there are nothing strange in your images.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

[...]

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

You do not need to share your big images and I do not believe they are so special. What is important is to make it as easy as possible for others to reproduce your issue in a reliable way.

Also known as a SSCCE:  http://sscce.org/

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

If updating the bbox of the layer allows WMS requests to see the newly harvested granules then my answer is yes, it doesn’t update the bbox advertised in GetCapabilities.

Should it work if I just specify the whole globe as the bbox, for example if the WMS GetCapabilities for my ImageMosaic layer has:

                                    <CRS>EPSG:4326</CRS>

                                    <CRS>CRS:84</CRS>

                                    <EX_GeographicBoundingBox>

                                        <westBoundLongitude>-180.0</westBoundLongitude>

                                        <eastBoundLongitude>180.0</eastBoundLongitude>

                                        <southBoundLatitude>-90.0</southBoundLatitude>

                                        <northBoundLatitude>90.0</northBoundLatitude>

                                    </EX_GeographicBoundingBox>

                                    <BoundingBox CRS="CRS:84" minx="-180.0" miny="-90.0" maxx="180.0" maxy="90.0"/>

                                    <BoundingBox CRS="EPSG:4326" minx="-90.0" miny="-180.0" maxx="90.0" maxy="180.0"/>

--Steve

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Stephen Brooke <[hidden email]> wrote:

If updating the bbox of the layer allows WMS requests to see the newly harvested granules then my answer is yes, it doesn’t update the bbox advertised in GetCapabilities.

No, it's unrelated to WMS actually displaying the granule, if the client makes  are request covering the new granule, it should show.
But it can be a factor if you are using a client that won't allow you to zoom out enough to see the new granule, or won't allow you to pan to the area where the granule is (and most clients drive this by reading the caps document).

Should it work if I just specify the whole globe as the bbox, for example if the WMS GetCapabilities for my ImageMosaic layer has:

                                    <CRS>EPSG:4326</CRS>

                                    <CRS>CRS:84</CRS>

                                    <EX_GeographicBoundingBox>

                                        <westBoundLongitude>-180.0</westBoundLongitude>

                                        <eastBoundLongitude>180.0</eastBoundLongitude>

                                        <southBoundLatitude>-90.0</southBoundLatitude>

                                        <northBoundLatitude>90.0</northBoundLatitude>

                                    </EX_GeographicBoundingBox>

                                    <BoundingBox CRS="CRS:84" minx="-180.0" miny="-90.0" maxx="180.0" maxy="90.0"/>

                                    <BoundingBox CRS="EPSG:4326" minx="-90.0" miny="-180.0" maxx="90.0" maxy="180.0"/>

You might want to try it, it would help understanding if the issue is in the granule not being harvested, or because the bbox is not updated and the client just won't show it out as a result

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
[...]

Just thought I’d share the solution that I discovered for my problem which in summary is that I don’t see newly added granules that I add to my ImageMosaic unless I restart GeoServer first.  My solution simply involves using the very good “geoserver-manager” library v1.6.0 as follows.

    GeoServerRESTPublisher publisher = new GeoServerRESTPublisher(RESTURL, RESTUSER, RESTPW);

    //Reload the store

    Assert.assertTrue(publisher.reloadStore(DEFAULT_WS, coverageStoreName, StoreType.COVERAGESTORES));

Thanks for all your help,

--Steve