Printing options for map w/ styled vector layers?

Printing options for map w/ styled vector layers?

mortac8
Guys,

If I have a map with a WMS background layer and a several styled Vector layers, is it possible to print server-side and still maintain all of my vector stylings?  If so, approximately how much effort is this and is MapFish the way to go?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to deal with styled vectors server-side or just use the browser/javascript print() function and deal with its issues.  I have read through the archives and read the wiki but I didn't see much about maintaining styling when printing server-side.

Thanks!!!
Ashley

Re: Printing options for map w/ styled vector layers?

Robert Sanson-2
Hi Ashley

You have to be able to replicate the styled vectors in OpenLayers within your WMS server, and then write some Javascript code to capture the map extent from OpenLayers plus a list of all the layers displayed and then submit a GetMap request to the WMS to generate a composite map.

I use a Python script in my cgi-bin directory that sits between OpenLayers and Mapserver to request the WMS image and embed it in a PDF file.

Regards,

Robert

>>> mortac8 <[hidden email]> 18/01/2012 4:20 a.m. >>>
Guys,

If I have a map with a WMS background layer and a several styled Vector
layers, is it possible to print server-side and still maintain all of my
vector stylings?  If so, approximately how much effort is this and is
MapFish the way to go?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to deal with styled vectors
server-side or just use the browser/javascript print() function and deal
with its issues.  I have read through the archives and read the wiki but I
didn't see much about maintaining styling when printing server-side.

Thanks!!!
Ashley

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and then delete this email from your system.

This message has been scanned for Malware and Viruses by Websense Hosted Security.
www.websense.com

Re: Printing options for map w/ styled vector layers?

Umberto Nicoletti
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM, mortac8 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guys,

If I have a map with a WMS background layer and a several styled Vector
layers, is it possible to print server-side and still maintain all of my
vector stylings?  If so, approximately how much effort is this and is
MapFish the way to go?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to deal with styled vectors
server-side or just use the browser/javascript print() function and deal
with its issues.  I have read through the archives and read the wiki but I
didn't see much about maintaining styling when printing server-side.

If you can bear with something browser-side I've made a Chrome extension that screenshots the current tab, crops out the ol div and draws it in a canvas for printing.
It's Chrome only and it's not exactly what you asked for but it occurred to me somebody could use the idea.

It's on github:

HTH,
Umberto

Thanks!!!
Ashley

Re: Printing options for map w/ styled vector layers?

pmgmendes
If I have a map with a WMS background layer and a several styled Vector
layers, is it possible to print server-side and still maintain all of my
vector stylings?  If so, approximately how much effort is this and is
MapFish the way to go?

Mapfish can print the features in a vector layer out-of-the-box keeping all the styles.

Mendes.