Print layout: canvas extent not updated

pcav
Hi all,
I doing some tests on print layout. Contrary to my expectations, the map
extent and scale in the print preview are not taken from the canvas. I
kind of remember it used to work as I expected. Of course the user can
always click to set the extent, but IMHO the correct behaviour is to
update it automatically when the layout is opened.
Am I wrong?
2.14.3 on Debian.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Print layout: canvas extent not updated

DelazJ

Hi,
> Of course the user can
> always click to set the extent, but IMHO the correct behaviour is to
> update it automatically when the layout is opened.

You mean the first time the print layout is opened (created). If so, yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still does): at the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.
But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item extent synced with map canvas each time it's opened.

Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:

> You mean the first time the print layout is opened (created). If so,
> yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still does): at
> the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.
>
> But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item extent synced
> with map canvas each time it's opened.

I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical use case is:
I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a print layout, and go on
printing the same area.
Am I the only one expecting this?
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Anita Graser
On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:
You mean the first time the print layout is opened (created). If so,
yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still does): at
the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.

But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item extent synced
with map canvas each time it's opened.

I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical use case is: I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a print layout, and go on printing the same area.
Am I the only one expecting this?

​Maybe I'm just used to the current behavior, but for most of my usecases the extent of the print map should stay same while I might be busy fixing details in the main window (and thus zooming and panning around there).

That's why the current behavior works well for me.

(cc-ing the UX list for input)

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: [QGIS-UX] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Mathieu Pellerin

+100 to stick with current behaviour. My canvas extent very rarely reflects desired extend and scale of my composer layouts

That said, for your use case, maybe you want to implement a [x] keep extend and scale synchronised with canvas. Off by default :)

On 11 Jun 2016 18:52, "Nathan Woodrow" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

roy roy
  very often composer layout scale have nothing to do with canvas
workflow, it should be "static"
as the current behaviour,
thanks, Roy

Il 11/06/2016 13:52, Nathan Woodrow ha scritto:

> +1 for what is currently there.  One of the main reasons I move from
> MapInfo to QGIS was this, annoying when you are editing and return to
> print and it's moved on you.
>
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini
>
>         Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:
>
>             You mean the first time the print layout is opened
>             (created). If so,
>             yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still
>             does): at
>             the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.
>
>             But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item
>             extent synced
>             with map canvas each time it's opened.
>

>         I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical
>         use case is: I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a
>         print layout, and go on printing the same area.
>         Am I the only one expecting this?
>

>     ​Maybe I'm just used to the current behavior, but for most of my
>     usecases the extent of the print map should stay same while I
>     might be busy fixing details in the main window (and thus zooming
>     and panning around there).
>
>     That's why the current behavior works well for me.
>
>     (cc-ing the UX list for input)
>
>     Best wishes,
>     Anita​

Re: [QGIS-UX] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

Saber Razmjooei
The current behaviour is great, but having an option to use spatial bookmarks (to the best scale) within the composer will be ideal:
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/12083

Cheers,
Saber

  very often composer layout scale have nothing to do with canvas workflow, it should be "static"
as the current behaviour,
thanks, Roy

Il 11/06/2016 13:52, Nathan Woodrow ha scritto:

> +1 for what is currently there.  One of the main reasons I move from
> MapInfo to QGIS was this, annoying when you are editing and return to
> print and it's moved on you.
>
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini
>
>         Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:
>
>             You mean the first time the print layout is opened
>             (created). If so,
>             yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still
>             does): at
>             the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.
>
>             But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item
>             extent synced
>             with map canvas each time it's opened.
>

>         I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical
>         use case is: I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a
>         print layout, and go on printing the same area.
>         Am I the only one expecting this?
>

>     ​Maybe I'm just used to the current behavior, but for most of my
>     usecases the extent of the print map should stay same while I
>     might be busy fixing details in the main window (and thus zooming
>     and panning around there).
>
>     That's why the current behavior works well for me.
>
>     (cc-ing the UX list for input)
>
>     Best wishes,
>     Anita​

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Whilst reasonable care has been taken to avoid virus transmission, no responsibility for viruses is taken and it is your responsibility to carry out
such checks as you feel appropriate.

If this email contains a quote or offer to sell products, carry out work or perform services then our standard terms and conditions (which can be found at http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/downloads/Lutra%20Consulting%20Standard%20Terms%20and%20Conditions.pdf shall apply unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Saber Razmjooei and Peter Wells trading as Lutra Consulting.

  very often composer layout scale have nothing to do with canvas workflow, it should be "static"
as the current behaviour,
thanks, Roy

Il 11/06/2016 13:52, Nathan Woodrow ha scritto:
> +1 for what is currently there.  One of the main reasons I move from
> MapInfo to QGIS was this, annoying when you are editing and return to
> print and it's moved on you.
>
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Anita Graser <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Il 2016-06-10 19:34 DelazJ ha scritto:
>
>             You mean the first time the print layout is opened
>             (created). If so,
>             yes this is the way it used to work (and I think it still
>             does): at
>             the creation the map extent is picked from the canvas.
>
>             But imo there's no reason to have the composer map item
>             extent synced
>             with map canvas each time it's opened.
>

>         I'm not sure this is what an user expects. IMHO the typical
>         use case is: I zoom to the area and scale of interest, open a
>         print layout, and go on printing the same area.
>         Am I the only one expecting this?
>

>     ​Maybe I'm just used to the current behavior, but for most of my
>     usecases the extent of the print map should stay same while I
>     might be busy fixing details in the main window (and thus zooming
>     and panning around there).
>
>     That's why the current behavior works well for me.
>
>     (cc-ing the UX list for input)
>
>     Best wishes,
>     Anita​

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Whilst reasonable care has been taken to avoid virus transmission, no responsibility for viruses is taken and it is your responsibility to carry out
such checks as you feel appropriate.

If this email contains a quote or offer to sell products, carry out work or perform services then our standard terms and conditions (which can be found at http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/downloads/Lutra%20Consulting%20Standard%20Terms%20and%20Conditions.pdf shall apply unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Saber Razmjooei and Peter Wells trading as Lutra Consulting.

Re: [QGIS-UX] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

pcav
Good points, thanks for comments. Perhaps a more evident button, or a
notice to the user (want to update the view?) would be enough.
I have an issue in distributing print layouts: in this case the first
appearance will be completely off the real map, and this can be really
confusing. Maybe better to zoom at first project opening, or what a
layout is added, would be useful?
All the best.

Il 2016-06-11 18:59 Régis Haubourg ha scritto:

> Agreed. What I found during training session is that the "zoom to map
> extent" buttons are too hard to find for most users. Even some
> advanced users where zooming maps with mouse scroll, not remembering
> those buttons from courses.  Maybe some UI tweaking could help here.
> Why not a button in toolbar?
> Cheers
> Régis
>
> Le 11 juin 2016 17:54, "Saber Razmjooei"
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> The current behaviour is great, but having an option to use spatial
>> bookmarks (to the best scale) within the composer will be ideal:
>> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/12083
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Saber

Nyall Dawson

On 12 Jun 2016 06:39, "Alexandre Neto" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the idea of a extent toolbar, with set extent to match map canvas and the opposite. Also having bookmarks would be nice. Those buttons should only work for a selected map item, because you may have several maps in the same composer.

Sorry, just catching up on this thread. My opinions:

- 100% the composer extent should NOT be limited to the canvas extent, for all the reasons already listed. This is IMO one of MapInfo's worst failings (one of very many!)

- I think the best solution is a floating toolbar which appears over selected map items, with options for zoom/pan/set to canvas/set to bookmark/etc. This would help increase the exposure of these tools and make it obvious that this is the correct way to set composer map extents. The current "move item content" tool is very difficult for people to discover. I'd love to implement this but just haven't had an opportunity yet.

Nyall

Il 11/06/2016 20:54, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
>  Maybe better to zoom at first project opening,

I think this would be bad, because it would modify all layout scales
settings
and i would call this behaviour data corruption

> or what a layout is added, would be useful?
> All the best.

i do not have strong opinion on this although i think that any
behaviour that automatically change user's express settings
is not to be pursuit

thanks, Roy

Re: [QGIS-UX] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

DelazJ
Hi,
Another tool I may find useful to add to such a toolbar is one that helps you show in the map canvas the current content (layers with associated style) of the composer map item
see feature request at http://hub.qgis.org/issues/14901

Regards,
Harrissou

Il 11/06/2016 20:54, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
>  Maybe better to zoom at first project opening,

I think this would be bad, because it would modify all layout scales
settings
and i would call this behaviour data corruption

> or what a layout is added, would be useful?
> All the best.

i do not have strong opinion on this although i think that any
behaviour that automatically change user's express settings
is not to be pursuit

thanks, Roy

Re: [QGIS-UX] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

boesiii
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [QGIS-UX] Print layout: canvas extent not updated

boesiii
I am from the ESRI world and what Paolo is describing is how ArcMap works, so when I first started using QGIS I wanted QGIS to work the same and therefore I created the plugin.

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/syncComposerWithMap/

There is lots of room for improvement in the plugin.  A signal and slot could be added so that it will synchronize always.  It could deal with multiple map views better.