Print composer not locking layers in 2.18.17 and crashing in 3.4.2

Print composer not locking layers in 2.18.17 and crashing in 3.4.2

Reginald
Hello qgis users,

I needed to make a A4 pdf of a parcel with as underground the aerial
photographs of distinct years.
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/t376957/bouwke.png>
When I used qgis 3.4.2 the application crashed during the proces of making
the printcomposer.
The aerial photographs are jp2 files of a size ranging from 2 GB to 90000
kb. I used the qlrbrowser to add them to the project.
The memory usage of qgis escalated to 10 GB and more and eventually qgis
crashed.
After trying two times more with the same result I decided to use qgis
2.18.17.
With this version of qgis I could compose the print layout but every time I
wanted to export the composer to pdf  the individual maps that were locked
were lost and four identical maps are shown.
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/t376957/meulebekestraat_bouwke.png>
For all the maps I have these item properties:
  <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/t376957/locked_layer.png>
How can I export the printcomposer so that I obtain 4 different maps in one
layout?

Re: Print composer not locking layers in 2.18.17 and crashing in 3.4.2

Patrick Dunford-2
I think you are finding that Qgis version 3 handles layers differently
from its predecessor and has some sort of memory caching of raster
layers or other capability that uses a lot more memory when processing
raster layers for display on the map canvas or a print layout, compared
to previous editions of the software

I have also asked questions like this but so far, I haven't had any
response to queries about this difference in architecture between the
versions of the software.

2 GB is a very large raster file by any standard and one might be
inclined to question a few things like the area that it covers or can
you downsample or otherwise reduce the size of the rasters to bring them
within a more manageable size that the software can handle.