Print Composer "arrow" item

Alexandre Neto
Hello all,

For me, it's kinda strange that we have a "direct" tool to create an arrow, but not on to create a line.

Obviously, to create a line, we can add an arrow, and then take the arrow head. But, in ux terms, shouldn't it be the other way around? I find much more the need to add lines that arrows to my maps.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto

Re: Print Composer "arrow" item

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi Alexandre,

I fully agree with you. I need many more lines than arrows in my layouts. I proposed this change several years ago, but it was never a top priority - and no financing available to correct this glitch.

There are also boundling box issues with lines/arrows currently - when resizing them. The bounding box is larger than the actual content, esp. visible for thick arrows/lines.

I think Nyall could deal with this as part of the general print composer redesign. So you probably need to be patient ...

Andreas

On 26.03.2015 10:50, Alexandre Neto wrote:
Hello all,

For me, it's kinda strange that we have a "direct" tool to create an arrow, but not on to create a line.

Obviously, to create a line, we can add an arrow, and then take the arrow head. But, in ux terms, shouldn't it be the other way around? I find much more the need to add lines that arrows to my maps.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto

Re: Print Composer "arrow" item

Frank Sokolic
I agree. How about renaming the tool to "Add Line" and then in the Item Properties have the "Arrow marker" set to "None" by default. Users could then add an arrow if they want to. I think that this is more similar to the way that programs like Inkscape do it.

Regards, Frank.

Re: Print Composer "arrow" item

carlosgis
Totally agree with you guys, some basic tools for shapes would improve making maps process . Also shapes like arrows and boxes should been included in blank templates so you can just edit their properties.

Regards,

Carlos R.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:08 AM, Frank Sokolic <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree. How about renaming the tool to "Add Line" and then in the Item Properties have the "Arrow marker" set to "None" by default. Users could then add an arrow if they want to. I think that this is more similar to the way that programs like Inkscape do it.

Regards, Frank.

Re: Print Composer "arrow" item

Anita Graser

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:08 AM, Frank Sokolic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree. How about renaming the tool to "Add Line" and then in the Item Properties have the "Arrow marker" set to "None" by default. Users could then add an arrow if they want to. I think that this is more similar to the way that programs like Inkscape do it.

I've added a feature request along these lines http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13767

Best wishes,
Anita