Press release for MapServer 5.0

Steve Lime
Hi all: I guess we might have a newsworthy event with the MapServer 5.0 release and would like to issue a press release.
I have a draft release on the wiki at:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Press_Release_MapServer_5.0

and would like to start the "permission to send" process, hence this message. I'm still hoping to add a quote from someone
but don't have that information yet. Please let me know how/when to proceed.

Steve

RE: Press release for MapServer 5.0

Michael P. Gerlek
Steve-

Once you've got the wording all set, you just need to get the board to
approve it; this can usually be done by an email vote from them.  At
that point, you're free to start sending it out to all the press
contacts (we have a bunch already listed on the wiki).

-mpg

Re: [Board] RE: Press release for MapServer 5.0

Paul Ramsey-2
Speaking of newsworthy events:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_Press_Release

On 17-Sep-07, at 3:03 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> Steve-
>
> Once you've got the wording all set, you just need to get the board to
> approve it; this can usually be done by an email vote from them.  At
> that point, you're free to start sending it out to all the press
> contacts (we have a bunch already listed on the wiki).
>
> -mpg

Dean Mikkelsen
Hi Steve,

I've currently got a blog up and running about Open Source and Oil & Gas,
Mining, Forestry, etc. and when you have the press release ready, please let
me know as I'd like to publicize this major release of MapServer. MapServer
was how I first got introduced to Open Source development.

The blog is located at: http://berkaoui.blogspot.com and company information
is at http://www.terraetl.com

I look forward to using the latest version of MapServer.

I read over the Press Release and it looks good to me.

Cheers,
Dean

RE: Press release for MapServer 5.0

Steve Lime
It's all set, I don't plan on changing anything. Ok to send out? Also, how to get on the News
section of the OSGeo homepage?

Steve

>>> On 9/17/2007 at 5:03 PM, in message
<[hidden email]>, "Michael
P. Gerlek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve-
>
> Once you've got the wording all set, you just need to get the board to
> approve it; this can usually be done by an email vote from them.  At
> that point, you're free to start sending it out to all the press
> contacts (we have a bunch already listed on the wiki).
>
> -mpg

Frank Warmerdam
Steve Lime wrote:
> It's all set, I don't plan on changing anything. Ok to send out? Also, how to get on the News
> section of the OSGeo homepage?

Steve,

You email it to [hidden email].

It should be in the long list of folks to contact with a press release
on the viscom page.

Re: Press release for MapServer 5.0

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
Looks fine to me!

Anyone on Viscom have time to post it to some of the press release
contacts?

Tyler

On 17-Sep-07, at 2:58 PM, Steve Lime wrote:

> Hi all: I guess we might have a newsworthy event with the MapServer
> 5.0 release and would like to issue a press release.
> I have a draft release on the wiki at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Press_Release_MapServer_5.0
>
> and would like to start the "permission to send" process, hence
> this message. I'm still hoping to add a quote from someone
> but don't have that information yet. Please let me know how/when to
> proceed.
>
> Steve

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
[hidden email]
P: +1-250-277-1621
M: +1-250-303-1831

Re: Press release for MapServer 5.0

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)

On Fri, September 21, 2007 18:51, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Looks fine to me!
>

> Anyone on Viscom have time to post it to some of the press release
> contacts?
>
> Tyler

Hi,
unfortunately this never really developed into a standard procedure.
Additionally I don't think that VisCom currently is in a status that would
allow to just throw something at it (VisCom or "us") and hope that it will
be done. VisCom currently is not really operative.

One chance to amend this wrt to News is to better leverage Atom/RSS feeds
off our web site. This would reduce the effort on OSGeo's side to
maintaining the News page. News are currently effectively handled by Tyler
and Frank, if they are prepared to keep this under their control I am more
than happy to keep it that way.

Regards, Arnulf.

> On 17-Sep-07, at 2:58 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
>

>> Hi all: I guess we might have a newsworthy event with the MapServer
>> 5.0 release and would like to issue a press release.
>> I have a draft release on the wiki at:
>>

>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Press_Release_MapServer_5.0
>>

>> and would like to start the "permission to send" process, hence this
>> message. I'm still hoping to add a quote from someone but don't have
>> that information yet. Please let me know how/when to proceed.
>>
>> Steve

> Tyler Mitchell
> Executive Director
> Open Source Geospatial Foundation
> [hidden email] P: +1-250-277-1621
> M: +1-250-303-1831

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

RE: Press release for MapServer 5.0

Michael P. Gerlek
I'm on the road at the moment, but I could do this once I settle in
Victoria Sunday afternoon....

-mpg