Press Release 83: OSGeo-Live 12.0 Released

Press Release 83: OSGeo-Live 12.0 Released

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Press Release 83:
* https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Press Release 83
* https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/osgeo-live-12-0-released/

11. September 2018

Version 12.0 of the OSGeoLive GIS software collection
(http://live.osgeo.org) has been released, and was distributed at FOSS4G
2018 (https://2018.foss4g.org/) - the International Conference for Free
and Open Source Software for Geospatial in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Jeff McKenna, co-founder of FOSS4G and President Emeritus of OSGeo,
says:
"OSGeoLive 12.0 was a massive success at the FOSS4G event in Dar es
Salaam last week.  Leveraged in the hands-on workshops as part of the
event, as well as used at the OSGeo booth for demonstrations, the
feedback received on OSGeoLive from the attendees was overwhelmingly
positive; they were truly excited to take the whole OSGeo stack back to
their communities and continue sharing the passion for Open.  So much
effort goes in to each OSGeoLive release, from documentation to
packaging to testing, that we must take a moment to thank those
involved.  The whole OSGeoLive team deserves a huge thanks.  Thank you
OSGeoLive team and congratulations on this release."

Download
Download the OSGeoLive 12.0 image at
https://live.osgeo.org/en/download.html

Release Highlights
Highlights for this release include:
* Updated to Lubuntu 18.04 Long Term Support (LTS) release.
* Adopted Transifex Translation tool, and made our documentation
generation process more efficient
* Version updates to many of the included packages - see
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive/master/CHANGES.txt

About OSGeoLive
OSGeoLive is a Lubuntu (https://lubuntu.net) based distribution of
Geospatial Open Source Software, available via a Virtual Machine, USB
and DVD. OSGeoLive is pre-installed with robust open source geospatial
software, which can be trialled without installing anything.

It includes:

* Close to 50 quality geospatial Open Source applications installed and
pre-configured
* Free world maps and sample datasets
* Project Overview and step-by-step Quickstart for each application
* Lightning presentation of all applications, along with speaker's
script
* Translations to multiple languages

Homepage: https://live.osgeo.org

Credits
Hundreds of people have directly helped with OSGeoLive packaging,
documenting and translating, and thousands have been involved in
building the packaged software. Thank you to all involved.

https://live.osgeo.org/en/sponsors.html

Sponsoring organisations
* OSGeo - the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (http://www.osgeo.org)
provides development & hosting infrastructure for OSGeoLive and many of
the included applications.
* Information Center for the Environment (ICE)] at the University of
California, Davis (http://ice.ucdavis.edu) provides hardware resources
and development support.
* Remote Sensing Laboratory at the National Technical University of
Athens (http://www.ntua.gr) provides hardware resources and development
support.
* The Debian GIS (https://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/ ) and UbuntuGIS
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS) teams provide and quality-assure
many of the core packages.
* Okeanos (https://okeanos.grnet.gr/) is kindly providing Virtual
Machines for building the OSGeoLive iso images.

Re: Press Release 83: OSGeo-Live 12.0 Released

Cameron Shorter
Thanks Jeff for adding words to this press release. It is very personal,
inspirational and emotive, and something we should think about for
future releases.

It is very much appreciated.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 11/09/2018 4:04 PM, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:

> [...]
>
> Sponsoring organisations
> * OSGeo - the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (http://www.osgeo.org)
> provides development & hosting infrastructure for OSGeoLive and many
> of the included applications.
> * Information Center for the Environment (ICE)] at the University of
> California, Davis (http://ice.ucdavis.edu) provides hardware resources
> and development support.
> * Remote Sensing Laboratory at the National Technical University of
> Athens (http://www.ntua.gr) provides hardware resources and
> development support.
> * The Debian GIS (https://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/ ) and UbuntuGIS
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS) teams provide and quality-assure
> many of the core packages.
> * Okeanos (https://okeanos.grnet.gr/) is kindly providing Virtual
> Machines for building the OSGeoLive iso images.

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Press Release 83: OSGeo-Live 12.0 Released

mentaer
Hi all,

Yes, Jeffs text is really a nice addition.

However, I am just wondering for whom the highlights are? If its for the
end-user (well.. its a "press release" ), then the second item on
"Transifex" is not interesting at all. I would rather highlight the
addition (or deletion?) of software (Vector Tile Servers?). And the
update item could include a count, i.e. for X of Z software a new
version was included.

Anyway: great work!
my 2 cents,
Stefan